“Perfect for the Price”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Mateo, California
“Perfect for the Price”
Reviewed 28 December 2011

I was on my way to Vina CA for a Christmas weekend retreat at the New Clairvaux monastery and wanted to avoid Bay Area holiday traffic so I came up a day early and stayed at this lovely Quality Inn. It is located very close to downtown and a way from the highway traffic unlike some of the new hotels in Chico.

The check-in staff were friendly, kind and accommodating. They gave me an even better rate than the one I got with the coupon from Trip Advisor. The room was in the middle of the hotel and was clean and quite. For the price, it was nicely appointed with a great flat screen tv, little frig and hair dryer. Lots of pillows on the bed, which could have been firmer for my tastes but for the price, it was just fine. The heater worked great and I am sure it would be fine as a air conditioner, too. There were lots of options for the free breakfast, but be prepared for lots of carbs. There are hard boiled eggs, but that's about it. The coffee and orange juice are tasty and free. The waffles are made hot and were quite good. They even had sugar free syrup.

The best part for me was that they have kept the Thundbird lodge signage. I use to come here as a kid with my grandparents on our way to Red Bluff. It brought back all sorts of nice memories.

Overall, the best low cost stay I have enjoyed in a long time.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor in the back where it's quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Cynthia B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Orange, CA
Reviewed 14 December 2011

My duaghter was touring Chico State and we stayed at this hotel strictly based on location. It is very close - easy walking distance to campus. The staff was very friendly and also helpful. They unsolicted told us to leave our car in their parking lot we we vistited the school. Rooms are very clean and up to date. Price is right too.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RThopmson
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I took a business trip and stayed at the Quality Inn, it was perfect, guest services really catered to my every need. The continental breakfast was just right to start off my day,and when i came back from my meetings there was nothing like relaxing in a beautiful pool in the California sun!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Quincy, California
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Very friendly staff, good breakfast, everything was very clean. Employee asked what we were in town for and I told her to get my wife out of the house for a quick romantic getaway and she put me in one of her quieter rooms above the lobby. Street noise does exist, but not any more than any other hotel in the area. Great location within walking distance to downtown.

Room Tip: Just ask the clerk.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaliforniaTraveler00
San Jose, California
Reviewed 29 November 2011

The Quality Inn, Chico is located downtown in a great spot. My wife and I have stayed numerous times since the remodel and have slowly seen this property go downhill. This place gets heavy use due to it being close to Chico State, especially on weekends. Rooms are small but adaquate. A breakfast nook is included and is average. The two main issues are the staff and the price! Management claims a zero tolerence on noise. This is a complete lie! If you stay here on a Friday and/or Saturday, you won't get any sleep due to the staff's inability or unwillingness to control the parties in the rooms and the chaos in the parking lot that continues into the early morning hours. Combine this with a $50 increase in the rates since the remodel and you end up feeling ripped off. I can no longer recommend the Quality Inn, Chico.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank mrwilli1953
manager715, General Manager at Quality Inn, Near Chico State, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Dear Valued Guest,
thank you for sharing your experience. As we claim, we do have zero party and noise tolerence at Quality Inn. We do our best to practice it. Any time of any hour if we get noise complaint or party activity, we make it stop promptly. In addition we kick them out.
The only thing we expect from the guest to call front desk, and report it. We could not monitor each and every corner of the property. So with your help and co-operation we could follow our own policy more efficiently.
However weekend in Chico downtown gets a little loud anyways. But considering our property quietness, is much bettter then our compititors.

Thank you again for sharing your concern with us.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Thank you Quality Inn in Chico, Ca. The room was clean, loved the colors and quiet. The breakfast was great. Just perfect food for breakfast. Everyone was so nice to my niece and myself. Thank you for the wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Just ask the front desk for the best room they have. The front desk is very helpful.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
California
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This hotel had modest but nice rooms and the location is within walking distance of downtown Chico, which was nice as it allowed my husband to rest up while I walked downtown to explore. The front desk clerk was friendly and the breakfast is a nice feature. There is also a nice bakery called the Tin Roof a block over that had nice pastries and good coffee which we enjoyed sitting at. There are two other motels within a couple of blocks that also appeared nice from the outside.

Room Tip: I think the corner rooms are the only ones with an exterior view to a location other than the parkin...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family