“Great Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sacramento, California
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Checking in without a reservation in was fast and easy, room was reasonably comfortable, and the staff in general was very helpful, especially the young man working at night. He brought a cot to our room along with extra blankets and pillows, toothpaste, and toothbrushes. Breakfast was great, though nothing extra ordinary.
Overall, the stay was peaceful, staff was helpful, and room was great as usual.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms near the back of the hotel seemed to get less noise from the street.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael M
Mina J, Manager at Quality Inn, Near Chico State, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable feedback. We value your opinions and your responses help us to determine how to improve our service for our guests. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our front desk agent!

We hope that the next time you're in Chico you will stay with us again.

Regards,

Ashley Leinen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was in Chico for a bachelor party, and I wanted a hotel downtown near the bars. So 3 weeks before the party I made the reservation at Quality Inn (I actually called the hotel, not just an online reservation) and got an email confirmation. I showed up to check in at 6 pm on the day of my reservation, and they informed me that they had actually overbooked the hotel, and they had to cancel my reservation without informing me (apparently they didn't realize this until right before I checked in). But they were *so nice* as to make a reservation for me at another hotel, the Safari Inn, which is a dump and located 2.5 miles away. The whole reason I made the reservation at Quality was for the location downtown to be close to the bars where the rest of the bachelor party was staying. And there was a bike race that weekend, so all of the other hotels were completely booked.

I asked them what they were going to do for causing such a huge inconvenience to me, and the answer I got was "nothing." Even some meaningless gesture like a free breakfast at my next stay would have at least made me feel like they actually cared about customer service. Of course, most hotels would have paid for my night at the other hotel since it was their mistake. They seemed surprised that I was upset. Even though they completely screwed up and inconvenienced me (when the rest of the bachelor party was able to stumble to their rooms at the end of the night, my friend and I had to fight for a cab and ended the night in a crappy hotel), they didn't seem to think that was a problem at all. Apparently canceling a reservation that was made 3 weeks prior is not uncommon at this Quality Inn. When I asked how this happened they said the reservation was made by someone who "was new...well, sorta new".

To top it all off, they still charged my credit card for the reservation. And I was told I need to wait 5 days before they can do anything about it. I try to be a reasonable person and cut businesses some slack (everyone makes mistakes), but its the lack of concern and apology that really got me mad.

Poor management and terrible customer service. I would think twice about staying here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Chris_H_1717
Tomales, California
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We go to Chico a couple times a year to visit family, and lately have been staying at this Quality Inn. It is quite convenient and accessible for us, and has always lived up to our expectations. On this particular visit (Easter weekend), the place was packed, and some younger folks a few doors down had an altercation around 11 p.m. that resulted in the cops being called. Oh well, it's a college town, whaddya expect? The room was clean and comfortable, the staff was efficient and friendly, and there was enough parking near our room. We'll be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mina J, Manager at Quality Inn, Near Chico State, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and helps us strive to always "Be Quality." I apologize about the incident that occurred during your stay and assure you that it is not the typical experience our guests have. We thank you for being so understanding in this matter, as we do our best to get control of these situations as quickly as possible when they occur.

We hope that on your next visit to Chico that you will stay with us again so that we can further exceed your expectations.

San Marcos, California
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Not able to do halves, otherwise I' d have said 3.5 stars. Lots of pluses and minuses to this place. Family stayed there while visiting our eldest at the Univ. There were four of us in the room, and we were a little on top of each other. Overall the pluses outweighed the negatives and I will probably stay there again.
Pluses....micro and fridge in rooms. I like that. For breakfast it was more than simply continental. They had waffles, variety of breads and bagels, hard boiled eggs, sausage, juices. There is a small pool. They have a Pepsi vending machine. Ice machine works great. The beds were very comfortable and they had two queens. There was a nice sized tv and hutch. The sinks and mirror were outside the shower and tub, which was nice with four of us! There is an in room safe large enough for laptops. The price was great! It was at the edge of downtown, which was a mixed blessing. Much of the staff was very helpful.
Negatives...the walk to the very far edge of campus was a good 15-20 minutes. I thought it was closer (though not because they misled me, my bad.) Somewhere near our room someone was smoking pot. Never saw anyone, but it was distinctive smell, and I am allergic. Happened a few times during our stay and when I called down to the office and was told" well it IS a college town". I know they were referring to fact we were downtown and people would be walking by, but I still expected they would do a walk about or show some amount of outrage or something. There was yelling across the hotel a number of times. I wish the breakfast offered fruit and danish or donuts. I had some staff that seemed unconcerned and un- knowledgeable. I asked for directions to university parking and to the movie they're and two different staff didn't know what to tell me and didn't seem to be concerned. I had a request, and the staff was very sweet and accommodating, but promptly forgot about us and didn't complete the two until 2 hours and 2 calls later. There is no jacuzzi/spa, which is obvious from the site, but a bummer. The pool is clean, but small with no real sitting area and was not open yet during our April trip. There was no tv channel listing and a number of channels kept scrambling.
The positives far outweighed the negatives, and some of the negatives were more personal preferences.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment of your valuable time write a review based on your experience with our hotel. We apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay, but are happy you felt that the pros outweighed the cons. We can definitely use your feedback to help drive our staff be attentive and knowledgeable about our guest's needs.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope that you will stay with us again in the future.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is my second time staying in Chico, a couple of years back I stayed further back on Broadway. I tried to save $20 and let me tell you, getting a $89 room for my wife, daughter and I with two queen beds much closer to campus was a great upgrade. If my daughter goes to Chico, I will defiitely try to book here first. My wife and daughter and I were very comfortable. We were on the second floor, no noise, good insulation, everything worked, beds were great. The location if perfect for walking downtown to have dinner almost anywhere. I recommend reading some reviews, but really walking around downtown and look at the choices. We ended up liking the vibe best at Tres Hombres.... Recommended if you are interested in nuevo baja mexican quisine on a big scale (not a cozy little restuant, but plenty of cozy corners...., see the review :-)
Now the girl that was checking everyone in and running the show did a fanstastic job of keeping folks happy. Our remote was gone and she got us a replacement, lickity split even though short handed.. Now the breakfast bar in the morning was the best of our three hotel. Had the waffles, eggs, sausuge, coffee, fruit and muffins, oatmeal and hot water. The room was nicer, the food was about the same as all the low-mid priced hotels and the location just about perfect. Chico is a nice little city in the middle of nowhere :-)

Room Tip: top floor is the way to go if you don't mind the stairs
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Mina J, Manager at Quality Inn, Near Chico State, responded to this review, 8 March 2014
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the room you were staying in and that breakfast went above your standards.
Again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to see you again in the future.
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed there with my sister and mother in another room for a visit with my other sister. Nice clean hotel with a good location to walk almost everywhere we needed to go to eat or shop. The street market on Thursday was just down the street and nice to go to. The rooms were clean and the staff very pleasant. We liked it so much, we are going down to visit my sister again and staying there once more. Loved the old sign in front for the Thunderbird Hotel is probably was once. Glad they saved a piece of history and didn't tear it down.

Room Tip: Back rooms were quieter. It is on a busy main street but everything is set back as there is a Mexica...
Green Features: Very good towel reuse and bed sheets. Energy star windows also, Recycles
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Mina J, Manager at Quality Inn, Near Chico State, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. Your feedback is very valuable to us! I'm happy to hear that we made a great impression on you and that you will be staying again in the future. If you were fond of the particular room you were in, you can always make a special request to be placed in that room again on your future stay! If we have it available, we will always accommodate our guests and do our best to fulfill their wishes, make them happy and make them comfortable.
Anacortes
Reviewed 6 January 2014

What a great place to stay. The room is spotless, the staff fantastic and the breakfast was great. We even had a personalized note from the staff on Christmas Eve when we checked in.
Over a course of a week, we stayed various times and each time the staff at the front desk were very friendly. Each room we had was clean and spacious. We wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the inside are quieter as the street in the front tends to be noisy on weekends.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Podunct
Mina J, Manager at Quality Inn, Near Chico State, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! Your feedback is important to us and helps us to improve the quality of service for all of our guests.

We thank you for your compliments regarding our room cleanliness. Our staff works very hard to make sure that each room is immaculate for our guests and take the time and effort to make sure that all the details of the room have been finely touched.

I hope that you will return to our hotel in the future, you will undoubtedly be greated with a welcoming smile from our front desk agents.