“Will be back”

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Chula Vista
Denver, Colorado
“Will be back”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Nicely located close to Sea World, Old Town and San Diego Zoo. Also, 10 mins drive to Mexico border city of Tijuana. The hotel is nice and clean. Serves a decent breakfast every morning with live news on TV ;-)
Has parking space and the staff is very curteous and helpful. The only drawback I found was you could hear people talking outside if are assigned a room on the ground floor. Other than that pretty good. Make sure you get a room on 2nd or 3rd floor so you won't get disturbed by people living in the hotel talking while in the parking area (coming or going). If somebody comes in late in the night and parks the car and starts talking your sleep is bound to get disturbed. But if you are too tired and a good sleeper don't worry about this.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jay_as_tripvisor
OperationsMgr, Manager at Chula Vista Inn, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
Dear Jay_as_Tripadvisor,

Thank you so much for your recent review of our hotel on Trip Advsior. We at the Best Western Plus Otay Valley are very happy of course to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at our hotel, and in the San Diego area overall. We are glad to hear that you found our property well located to all of San Diego's famous attractions, and we are especially glad that you found the staff to be courteous and helpful; That is of uptmost importance to us, the hotel management.

However, we are sorry to hear that you found the hotel to be a little nosy. We do understand that during the summer months, being high season and all, the hotel can be very busy, and at times a bit noisy, however we are happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and thank you for the room tip for other Trip Advisor visitors.

We hope to see you back at the BW Plus Otay Valley Hotel again soon!

Thank you again for your review and have a great day!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I booked a room through Hotwire and it was about $6 cheaper than other websites prepaid and cannot be cancelled. Upon arrival, the clerk said it was for a King bed room. I asked if they have any double bed available and if I can get the double bed instead. This is about 7pm and I only staying for 1 night. The clerk indicated that would be a $10 extra. I've stayed at many hotels/motels and I only heard upgrade fee from double to King but not the other way around. I bet if they had me in a double and I asked for King bed, they will want $10 as well. I told the clerk that this is unheard of and I'll not be coming back if I had to pay $10. He went inside and asked the manager but the manager didn't care if I was coming back or not, it will be $10 to switch room. However, the clerk was very polite and I've to give him credit for that. About the room..

Pro: Hotel is easy to find and close to the beach (from the map). We had a basketball tournament at Otay high school and it was about 6 minutes drive from here. Room has refrigerator and microwave with 42" flat screen. Our room was on the 1st room and I parked the car right in front of the room - very convenient. Room is a little larger than normal motel type. Air conditioning worked great - set to 73 degree. Breakfast was okay - typical juice and coffee, cereals, danish and croissant from the box (may be from the local market), bagels and apples and bananas. The only thing hot is they have one waffle makers. We had to wait about 20 minutes for our turn because it takes more than 3 minutes to make a waffle.

Con: The room has a funny smell - not smoking but may be from the carpet shampoo, I don't know. The pillow is too hard and thick. My boy and I cannot sleep all night and we finally had to sleep flat without the pillow. The shower is weak may be due to the water saver shower head. The coffee dispenser constantly went empty. I had to ask many times to get it refill. Same for napkins. They provided an ID and password for Wi-FI and none of us was able to connect our iphones and ipods.

Suggestion for the hotel: If room is available, please switch guess at their request between King/Double since the room is not being used anyway, especially at late check-in.
Have more the one waffle maker. It takes 20-30 minutes to wait and most just gave up and left.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Zip your bags!! The maid stole our kush while we were at the zoo!

• Stayed April 2011
Westminster, California
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I booked my room directly using the hotel's website and got a really good rate. The staff was very friendly and helpful with my questions about local directions and attractions. The room was also comfortable and clean. I'd come back here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Phoenix
Reviewed 18 July 2010

outstanding service, better than most hotels I have stayed at. Room is great value with free breakfast, wifi and free parking. Breakfast was basic and was stocked the best on Sunday. Hotel room had 2 doubles, fridge, microwave, coffee maker and about 50 cable channels. They even brought up a free crib for us. The manager anderson le
was extremely professional and handled a situation regarding a stolen i-touch better than we expected. There is no question it was stolen by house keeping. My friend got a letter of apology and a replacement i-touch on
check-out. Overall this is a nice hotel that offers great value and totally awesome service.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank nocturnalgirl72
Drummond, Montana
Reviewed 23 June 2010

We have five young children. We enjoyed staying here. The outside pool and
hot tub were great. The breakfast wast good. The customer service was
excellent! I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 February 2010

The Best Western Chula Vista Inn is a basic, no frills hotel that is located on a main street. The rooms are located away from the road, there is a swimming pool, and the building is 3 floors. Service at check-in was wonderful, the room was clean, and there is a microwave and a mini fridge, which are both good points. The hotel offers breakfast in the morning to their guests. Close to the inn are plenty of places to eat and shop, including Target, McDonald's, and several strip malls with many other options.

The bed was comfortable but recommend bringing your own pillows. The bathroom is divided where you have the shower and toilet in one area and the sinks separate. There are no additional toiletries except for the mount in the shower that has shampoo, conditioner, and gel. There is an iron and board, recycle bin, hairdryer, and coffee maker in the room as well, but no formal closet. There is a closet bar with hangers near the sinks. My only complaint would be that I was awoken early in the morning by other guests slamming doors and talking loudly along the hallway (not the hotel's fault).

Overall, I would recommend this hotel as a basic overnight room coming back from the border or visiting the Chula Vista area.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo