“Italiano Fantastico!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Italianissimo Trattoria

Italianissimo Trattoria
Ranked #2 of 428 Restaurants in Chula Vista
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Clemente
“Italiano Fantastico!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I had the occasion to spend a long weekend in the San Diego/Chula Vista area. I'm in the San Diego area often and like to try a couple of new restaurants as often as I can. With so many fine restaurants to choose from in the greater San Diego area I use a number of sources to help me decide. T/A was on spot for me this time.

Arriving at about 5:30 PM on a Sunday night, Italianissimo Trattoria was everything I expected, except crowded. There were open tables at the rear of the restaurant. The wine selection was ample, but we had brought a 'special' bottle from our own cellar.

We started off with their Guazzetto di Mare (mussels and clams steamed with garlic, white wine and fresh tomatoes). It was served with their homemade bread which was excellant. I ordered a side of marinara along with it. I usually do this in a new Italian restaurant as I feel it a good judge of things to come (kind of like the salsa in a Mexican restaurant, if its good then what's to follow will probably be so too... but if its not good, then be ware). The marinara was excellent as was the garlic and white wine sauce in the Guazzetto di Mare.

My wife ordered the Penne Arrabbiata and I ordered their Cheese Ravioli. The Ravioli wasn't a menu item per se, as I wanted to try it w/ their marinara and their vodka sauce. After checking w/ the cook I was informed that they would be able serve it that way. We have traveled in Italy many times and thought Italianissimo Trattoria was every bit as authentic as we found in southern Italy.

I would have rated this restaurant 5-stars had it not been for the unmentioned up-charge for putting two sauces on my ravioli. Regardless, I still recommend Italianissimo Trattoria and will most likely return.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank CalifBeachBum

Orange, California
“Extraordinary GOURMET Italian”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Have dined here numerous times and wrote a previous review.

In light of the fact that so many of the little shops & restaurants in downtown Old Chula Vista (Third Avenue from E to H Street) have gone out of business over the years, I was so glad to see this wonderful gem thriving so well after three years at this location - its 25 or so tables were pretty much full between 6-7 pm last Saturday, however, we were waited on promptly by a most delightful waitress and the timing of our three delicious, perfectly prepared courses was perfect.

This small, cozy, Tuscan themed restaurant is owned by two older men who were born and raised in Italy. One of them is the fabulously talented chef and the other (from Naples) can frequently be seen working in the front and is very hands-on, making sure his customers are satisfied and all is running smoothly. At least one of the waiters is also a native Italian - so these people do KNOW what genuine, real good Italian food tastes like.

If you are looking for the best GOURMET, and I do mean GOURMET (cannot stress that word enough), extraordinary Italian food then you absolutely must dine here. This has got to be the best Italian food in San Diego; certainly far better than anything to be found in Chula Vista and the whole South Bay area in general, and better than anything I've ever tasted in San Diego's Little Italy, Hillcrest or Gaslamp Quarter. This place uses the freshest ingredients and the chef is a master at blending flavors and textures.

I have had many items from their menu and highly recommend all of them. Last night I had their sorbet for the first time, which is something I never order when eating out, as it's frequently not to my liking, but this was so delicious; an airily light, very refreshing tri-layered mango, coconut, raspberry. Not thick, heavy or too sweet. Also tried their eggplant parmesano for the first time. I can never find a perfectly prepared eggplant, but this was perfection - better than I ever had in Italy and only second to the best I ever had in Paris.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank sorlpegave
Palm Springs, California
“Excellent food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Wonderful dining experience. Prices are very fair, food very well prepared. We will definitely be back!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Nancy D
San Diego, California, United States
“a little gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

You will be happy you went. Food was excellent. We had linguini cappelini, pizza, and veal picatta. All were excellent. This is an Italian restuarant and they must buy bulk garlic. Lots of spice in the meals. The tomato\garlic soup was excellent, lots of garlic. Bread was warm and soft. Yumm. Service was better than average. Ambiance was pleasant. I would say for Chula Vista, this is one of the best restaurants there is.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Gary K
Chula Vista, California
“EXCELLENT AND DELICIOUS FOOD”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Great food, you wont regret going to to this restaurant. Best Italian in San Diego......... Authentic, Cozy great service too. what else can yiou asked... They prepare each plate as you order on that moment The chef is a real italian chef. Restaurant is a GEM!!!

• Visited July 2013