“Awesome, authentic Italian”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

We visited this gem on a Friday night with my wife, 4 kids and mother in law. Unfortunately we had to wait about an hour however it was well worth it. Pizza was excellent. We tried the mussels and clams for an appetizer and it was wonderful. Light and flavorful. Also the Cesar salad, one of the best I have had for a very long time. A real Cesar.
Entrees we had lasagne which was memorable and very well done. Spaghetti with clams and mussels was excellent. Pasta cooked perfect. I tried the egg noodle pasta with wild boar meat. The pasta was slightly undercooked and was good. Reminded me of a beef stroganoff. Also had the veal Parmesan with Marsela sauce. Excellent, so flavorful. One of the best I have ever had.
Waiters were attentive and the owner is also checking in with people which is something seen far too seldom anymore. I congratulate the owner and staff of this amazing find. I highly recommend. (Make reservations if possible especially if a larger group). Amazing.

1  Thank JohnMarkKucera
There are newer reviews for Italianissimo Trattoria

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I found this jewel through tripadvisor, it is currently the number 1 restaurant in Chula Vista and I agree 100%.
The food was amazing, we had the filet mignon carpaccio as the appetizer and shared the lamb and the chicken with mushrooms and lemon sauce. The owner approached us and talk to us for a bit. This place is so authentic, before I forget the tiramisu is the best I ever had. This is one of those places that I need to come back over and over again and just order everything from the menu. Thanks to the owner, I don't think he has enough reviews on this website!!!!

2  Thank soldevep
Reviewed 14 November 2013

It has been said before, but really, try the garlic soup & lamb shank. Staff was great, the food was great, the experience was great. And real cappuccinos like I loved drinking when in lived in Naples. One of the best Italian restaurants in San Diego county.

1  Thank LudicRuss
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I had the occasion to spend a long weekend in the San Diego/Chula Vista area. I'm in the San Diego area often and like to try a couple of new restaurants as often as I can. With so many fine restaurants to choose from in the greater San Diego area I use a number of sources to help me decide. T/A was on spot for me this time.

Arriving at about 5:30 PM on a Sunday night, Italianissimo Trattoria was everything I expected, except crowded. There were open tables at the rear of the restaurant. The wine selection was ample, but we had brought a 'special' bottle from our own cellar.

We started off with their Guazzetto di Mare (mussels and clams steamed with garlic, white wine and fresh tomatoes). It was served with their homemade bread which was excellant. I ordered a side of marinara along with it. I usually do this in a new Italian restaurant as I feel it a good judge of things to come (kind of like the salsa in a Mexican restaurant, if its good then what's to follow will probably be so too... but if its not good, then be ware). The marinara was excellent as was the garlic and white wine sauce in the Guazzetto di Mare.

My wife ordered the Penne Arrabbiata and I ordered their Cheese Ravioli. The Ravioli wasn't a menu item per se, as I wanted to try it w/ their marinara and their vodka sauce. After checking w/ the cook I was informed that they would be able serve it that way. We have traveled in Italy many times and thought Italianissimo Trattoria was every bit as authentic as we found in southern Italy.

I would have rated this restaurant 5-stars had it not been for the unmentioned up-charge for putting two sauces on my ravioli. Regardless, I still recommend Italianissimo Trattoria and will most likely return.

1  Thank CalifBeachBum
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Have dined here numerous times and wrote a previous review.

In light of the fact that so many of the little shops & restaurants in downtown Old Chula Vista (Third Avenue from E to H Street) have gone out of business over the years, I was so glad to see this wonderful gem thriving so well after three years at this location - its 25 or so tables were pretty much full between 6-7 pm last Saturday, however, we were waited on promptly by a most delightful waitress and the timing of our three delicious, perfectly prepared courses was perfect.

This small, cozy, Tuscan themed restaurant is owned by two older men who were born and raised in Italy. One of them is the fabulously talented chef and the other (from Naples) can frequently be seen working in the front and is very hands-on, making sure his customers are satisfied and all is running smoothly. At least one of the waiters is also a native Italian - so these people do KNOW what genuine, real good Italian food tastes like.

If you are looking for the best GOURMET, and I do mean GOURMET (cannot stress that word enough), extraordinary Italian food then you absolutely must dine here. This has got to be the best Italian food in San Diego; certainly far better than anything to be found in Chula Vista and the whole South Bay area in general, and better than anything I've ever tasted in San Diego's Little Italy, Hillcrest or Gaslamp Quarter. This place uses the freshest ingredients and the chef is a master at blending flavors and textures.

I have had many items from their menu and highly recommend all of them. Last night I had their sorbet for the first time, which is something I never order when eating out, as it's frequently not to my liking, but this was so delicious; an airily light, very refreshing tri-layered mango, coconut, raspberry. Not thick, heavy or too sweet. Also tried their eggplant parmesano for the first time. I can never find a perfectly prepared eggplant, but this was perfection - better than I ever had in Italy and only second to the best I ever had in Paris.

1  Thank sorlpegave