“Hidden Gem in Chula Vista”

Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista
Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Chula Vista
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Hidden Gem in Chula Vista”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I chose this hotel based on the fact that it was a short walk from the E street trolley station and that I had an appointment at the DMV in Chula Vista in morning. I arrived at the hotel around 5pm and was pleasantly surprised to find a very modern and new looking hotel among the other hotels in the area. I was warmly greeted by the front desk and was told that they appreciated my being a Priority member. The room was good sized, bed comfortable, flat screen TV, outlets to recharge and even had a refrigerator and microwave. I went down to pool for a quick swim and found that it had a rare deep end. There were towels available as well. In the morning I went down to have complementary breakfast. The dining room had plenty of space, there was an assortment of cold and hot items and drinks.

Pros: Right off the highway and easy public transportation. Clean and modern with very friendly and helpful staff.

Cons: Price. Other hotels in area are half the cost, but in fairness to hotel, you pay for what you get and the cost of staying here is justified.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms above 2nd floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank EdWhiteaker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Hebrew first
Gladstone, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My family and I have just visited for over one week, everyone was so polite, helpful, and everything was very clean, food great and very easy to get to tram and restaurants, we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cathy E
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed here with a group of people for 2 separate nights in Jan. I can't speak to the check in/out process, or the value for money, as I wasn't involved in that, but the staff were friendly. Room was a good size - didn't feel cramped at all. There's a fridge, microwave, hairdryer in the room. There was a complimentary breakfast - eggs, muffins, yogurt, pancakes, bagels etc. There's a heated pool outside that some of the group used and enjoyed. We also used the meeting room near the pool that was a good size.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank foreverblended
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here for a week over New Years day while escaping the cold. The hotel is very easy to get to from the I5 (though you do not hear it), has recently renovated rooms, and is near to plenty of shopping and dining options, as well as a few minutes drive to Tijuana. Check in was smooth; they informed us they had run out of cribs but were out buying another one for us and would have it back within half an hour (and they did). We stayed in a Queen Suite, which was a lot more room for not much more money which worked well for this family of 5.

The pool while not large is perfectly adequate. The parking was very simple and free. Breakfast was complete though very busy; items were promptly refilled and tables cleaned. We struggled to find a seat most days at 8AM or so. It was a prime travel time though.

Others have mentioned that they feel this is "not a good area". I did not get that impression at all. The strip mall next door is indeed old, and there are a couple of homeless people as well as down on their luck folks who can be seen on the streets around the hotel. This is true of any major city though and I do not understand why San Diego would be any different, especially given it's excellent dry climate. I was not concerned in the slightest for our car, its contents or our safety at any time - in fact I was less concerned there than I am in the area around LAX. When I drove around the Chula Vista area it reminded me of Hamilton, Canada, and Paisley, Scotland, for example. Bit rough around the edges at times, but that's it.

There were a couple minor things that prevented this hotel from getting a 5* rating, but the biggest one was the internet. As is a common problem these days in many hotels, the bandwidth capacity on the cable connection they're using is woefully too small for multiple devices and streaming media in 2013/2014. Also, the wifi is incorrectly implemented (used public IP address space!!!) and the access points don't have sufficient capacity for devices, rendering it unusable in the evening. This could be fixed by making sure the access points use all the same SSID's, and adding some additional ones, plus adding two or three more cable internet connections (not expensive) and aggregating the bandwidth or looking into a fiber connection (think the aggregated cable would be cheaper and easier at this location). I think they also had a firewall/router problem while we were there which complicated matters further, but there were quite a few technical problems. Working internet is as important as a working elevator these days IMO.

Would be happy to stay here again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose something away from the elevator as the walls are thin and you hear a lot.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AdamC668
rick o, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you Adam for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad we were able to make your stay comfortable and accommodating. I will make sure to take all your comments in regards to the internet and discuss them with my IT. We look forward to staying with us again.
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

My second day during my business travel in San Diego I stayed here and was amazed at the level of service and professionalism from the staff. I also would like to thank the front desk for the restaurant suggestion in the area. The taxi service this hotel uses for their guests is excellent!! It was on time and very clean. It was a very reasonable flat rate to the airport on a black car airport service. The morning breakfast was also another plus for this hotel. I highly recommend this place.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LAbestlaw
Colchester
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Typical Holiday Inn Express with a great Breakfast and excellent staff. Pool was heated so the kids loved it and it is perfectly situated for the Freeway and travel anywhere in San Diego. We did not get chance to use it but the Trolley stop is walking distance if you fancy a night at the Gaslamp Quarter.As other reviews mention the area could be better but we always felt safe and were untroubled by the occasional vagrant wandering passed the Hotel Car Park.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Brighty1861
Cedar Rapids, IA
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights and I found Holiday Inn to be clean, well maintained, and good price. I rented a car, so I found the location near Interstate 5 to be ideal. I was able to easily drive to various tourist spots. The complimentary breakfast was great and the outdoor pool is heated. There are several restaurants and bars close by. I felt safe and comfortable during my stay. I would definately stay here again next time I visit San Diego.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Chula Vista Inn
Chula Vista Inn
#11 of 21 in Chula Vista
Quality Inn Chula Vista San Diego South

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista? Share your experiences!