“On the way to Mexico” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Buffalo, New York
“On the way to Mexico”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed 1 night prior to business trip to Mexico. Room was basic & clean, nice self serve breakfast area. Staff was nice. Not too close to San Diego airport. No shuttle, needed to take a taxi, about 15 minute drive. Fairly close to border.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear RayC984,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am glad to know that you found your room clean and our staff nice.

We regret that the unavailability of shuttle service was a disappointment. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest services.

Again, thank you and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Hebrew first
Aubrey, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a business trip from Brown Field Airport. The hotel is clean but not in the greatest part of town. I wouldn't be out after dark. I walked across the street to eat and witnessed a bum puking all over the sidewalk. The hotel staff was great.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JohnluvsAK
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear JohnluvsAK,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We are pleased to see you enjoyed your time in the hotel, and look forward to serving you in the future.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
sac. ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

We liked this hotel but can't get especially excited about it. Our room was large, clean, and up to date. Really comfortable bed and pillows. TV is too small for room. Good free wifi in room. Our room was in the front and a little noisy, a back room might be a better choice. There are no views to speak of, you can choose a busy street or a parking lot. Small workout room with just a few cardio machines, also a small swimming pool. An ok breakfast buffet. Staff was courteous and friendly. Location feels a little sketchy. Overall our stay was perfect and free of any surprises, which is why I give them 4stars, but apart from that there's also nothing that stands out as particularly memorable. I don't think you can go wrong staying here but don't expect to love it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I chose this hotel based on the fact that it was a short walk from the E street trolley station and that I had an appointment at the DMV in Chula Vista in morning. I arrived at the hotel around 5pm and was pleasantly surprised to find a very modern and new looking hotel among the other hotels in the area. I was warmly greeted by the front desk and was told that they appreciated my being a Priority member. The room was good sized, bed comfortable, flat screen TV, outlets to recharge and even had a refrigerator and microwave. I went down to pool for a quick swim and found that it had a rare deep end. There were towels available as well. In the morning I went down to have complementary breakfast. The dining room had plenty of space, there was an assortment of cold and hot items and drinks.

Pros: Right off the highway and easy public transportation. Clean and modern with very friendly and helpful staff.

Cons: Price. Other hotels in area are half the cost, but in fairness to hotel, you pay for what you get and the cost of staying here is justified.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms above 2nd floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank EdWhiteaker
Gladstone, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

My family and I have just visited for over one week, everyone was so polite, helpful, and everything was very clean, food great and very easy to get to tram and restaurants, we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cathy E
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I stayed here with a group of people for 2 separate nights in Jan. I can't speak to the check in/out process, or the value for money, as I wasn't involved in that, but the staff were friendly. Room was a good size - didn't feel cramped at all. There's a fridge, microwave, hairdryer in the room. There was a complimentary breakfast - eggs, muffins, yogurt, pancakes, bagels etc. There's a heated pool outside that some of the group used and enjoyed. We also used the meeting room near the pool that was a good size.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank foreverblended
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed here for a week over New Years day while escaping the cold. The hotel is very easy to get to from the I5 (though you do not hear it), has recently renovated rooms, and is near to plenty of shopping and dining options, as well as a few minutes drive to Tijuana. Check in was smooth; they informed us they had run out of cribs but were out buying another one for us and would have it back within half an hour (and they did). We stayed in a Queen Suite, which was a lot more room for not much more money which worked well for this family of 5.

The pool while not large is perfectly adequate. The parking was very simple and free. Breakfast was complete though very busy; items were promptly refilled and tables cleaned. We struggled to find a seat most days at 8AM or so. It was a prime travel time though.

Others have mentioned that they feel this is "not a good area". I did not get that impression at all. The strip mall next door is indeed old, and there are a couple of homeless people as well as down on their luck folks who can be seen on the streets around the hotel. This is true of any major city though and I do not understand why San Diego would be any different, especially given it's excellent dry climate. I was not concerned in the slightest for our car, its contents or our safety at any time - in fact I was less concerned there than I am in the area around LAX. When I drove around the Chula Vista area it reminded me of Hamilton, Canada, and Paisley, Scotland, for example. Bit rough around the edges at times, but that's it.

There were a couple minor things that prevented this hotel from getting a 5* rating, but the biggest one was the internet. As is a common problem these days in many hotels, the bandwidth capacity on the cable connection they're using is woefully too small for multiple devices and streaming media in 2013/2014. Also, the wifi is incorrectly implemented (used public IP address space!!!) and the access points don't have sufficient capacity for devices, rendering it unusable in the evening. This could be fixed by making sure the access points use all the same SSID's, and adding some additional ones, plus adding two or three more cable internet connections (not expensive) and aggregating the bandwidth or looking into a fiber connection (think the aggregated cable would be cheaper and easier at this location). I think they also had a firewall/router problem while we were there which complicated matters further, but there were quite a few technical problems. Working internet is as important as a working elevator these days IMO.

Would be happy to stay here again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose something away from the elevator as the walls are thin and you hear a lot.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Adam C
rick o, Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you Adam for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. I am glad we were able to make your stay comfortable and accommodating. I will make sure to take all your comments in regards to the internet and discuss them with my IT. We look forward to staying with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chula Vista
Good Nite Inn, Chula Vista
Good Nite Inn, Chula Vista
#4 of 20 in Chula Vista
Holiday Inn Express San Diego South-National City

Been to Holiday Inn Express San Diego South - Chula Vista? Share your experiences!