“Good value, good location”

Good Nite Inn, Chula Vista
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Chula Vista
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Good value, good location”
Reviewed 17 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed while visiting San Diego. Thought it was well situated right at the motorway exit so only 15-20 mins from downtown, not too hard to get anywhere else. Room was in need of a refit, non smoking but smoke smell still lingering on, one of the beds overdue for a change. Front desk was good. Probably would stay again.

Stayed August 2013
ManagementChulaVista, Manager at Good Nite Inn, Chula Vista, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for your review, and for taking the time to include your comment. We are always making improvements, so I hope the next time you choose to stay with us, you will have more comfort during your stay to enjoy it more.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Chula Vista, California, USA
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I have visited the Goodnite Inn several time because of their discreet location as well as their good pricing. I was amazed when I booked a stay directly at the hotel and it was under 50 bucks! Awesome price! The staff was very friendly and informative. Plus the room smelled like flowers and was very clean =) Definitely will go back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much! We enjoy hearing such positive comments, and appreciate that the service you have been receiving has been meeting your expectations. Your review is very pleasing, and continues to make me smile! Thank you so much! We look forward to seeing you again,
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 September 2013

room service did not do my bed atall.
i was willing to pay for wifi, but they did not have good speed, well it did not work atall.
tv remote wasnt working.
front desk was rude when requested for the promised refrigerator.

ManagementChulaVista, General Manager at Good Nite Inn, Chula Vista, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
I apologize this guest did not receive room service, this is not a comment we hear to often, and very seldom at that. Throw in the internet not working can really build in a dissatisfied stay. I'm truly sorry. We have received a new Gateway, router, and the internet is up and running. Remote controls are an easy fix, when batteries go bad we have plenty on hand as well as remote controls, I know it's not easy when it all is happening to you.. I apologize for any rudeness on our part, we do our best to accommodate all requests. Thank you for taking the time to include your comment.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 9 September 2013

When my husband and I decided to plan our trip to southern California to see a favorite performer in Chula Vista we knew just where we'd stay. The Good Nite Inn in Chula Vista had treated us well back in 2007 and we figured it would be a good lower price option for this short 2 night stay. But I felt mixed about the overall experience this time.

The lobby was well lit and nicely appointed. We were happy to see the results of the renovations that had just been started back in 2007 when we first stayed here. I wished they had put some of that money into the rooms themselves though. The small bench by the sink was heavily stained and so was the carpet in a lot of places. Our room should have been non-smoking but my husband was sensitive to the stale smell of smoke hanging in the room. We also found some mold on our shower curtain and the mat provided for the shower made the entire bathroom smell like musty rubber.

Like many budget hotels the towels were about as soft as sandpaper but at least they looked and smelled clean. The sheets and blankets were clean as well but my pillowcase smelled very strongly of bleach and that made it difficult to get a good night's sleep. Also, the plastic on the mattress and box spring (complete with tags from the manufacturer still visible) gave the hotel a lower class vibe.

The surrounding area had changed as well; I don't recall a strip club being right next door 6 years ago. I don’t know if this led to the increased night activity but there was a lot of it very late night. Plus, every time someone closed a door upstairs our door on the first floor shook to the point where it sounded like someone was pulling the handle back and forth. It was very disconcerting and I didn't sleep very well either night because of it.

We didn't use the pool but it looked very clean and well maintained. As was the landscaping and grounds around the hotel. Also, for a hotel so close to the freeway there was very little if any noise from the fast moving cars. Other than the hotel itself things were pretty quiet - no loud parties going on though some people were sitting outside drinking & smoking when we got back from our show at 1:00 AM on Friday night (we couldn’t hear them in our room at the other end of the property). But it would be hard to beat the proximate location to San Diego, beaches and sports arenas for the price. And the view across the bay at sunset is pretty spectacular.

The website didn't mention that rooms would have a refrigerator and hair dryer (but no coffee maker). We ended up going out for coffee in the morning. One very cool thing was the hotel's ability to contract out for room service (lunch and dinner). We took advantage of this on Friday evening before our show. The prices were very reasonable and portions were huge (enough for me to have lunch the next day). They arrived right in the 45 minutes estimated but the driver didn't carry a pen so if you order on a card make sure you have one to sign the receipt.

Overall I feel that you do get what you pay for and the Good Nite Inn Chula Vista is a very average hotel at an average price. Don’t stay here expecting 5 star accommodations but if all you want is a bed, toilet and place to brush your teeth then this hotel is in a good location to fit that bill.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor if you can
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenn F
ManagementChulaVista, General Manager at Good Nite Inn, Chula Vista, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thank you very much for such a thorough review. There were many positive comments and some suggestions we can make improvements on. I apologize that this visit wasn't as good as your first. But I will inspect the room and speak with my staff. And I hope for future guests they will not have to experience the same disappointment that you did. We are always looking to improve on our guests experiences.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 6 September 2013

After spending an hour and a half researching and reading horrific reviews of the majority of the hotels in this area, I basically picked this one because of the reviews and I'm glad I did.This is a very basic hotel. The only con for me were the towels. Their pretty rough. But otherwise...that's it. If you want big fluffy towels, either bring your own or stay somewhere else. 2 star is right on the money. The value is great. Everything worked just fine, shower head, toilet, a/c, fridge. Very close to the freeway which was convinient. I asked for extra towels and I got them. Coco at front desk was very nice and helpful. I would definitely recommend and stay here again.

Room Tip: I asked for a "quite room" and they put us on the 2nd floor, room 214, didn't hear a t...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your comments. I'm very appreciative that you enjoyed your stay and the property met your expectations. We are always striving to be better with meeting our guests expectations and making improvements.
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Arrived early 8/29 for a funeral. Stayed for four nights. Previous tripadvisor.com reviews were kind of all over the place. Let me make this simple for you: If you need good, clean, cheap accommodations, STAY AT THE GOOD NITE INN SAN DIEGO SOUTH BAY! If you're expecting anything more than that, DON'T STAY AT THE GOOD NITE INN SAN DIEGO SOUTH BAY! Our total for four nights was less than $300. The rooms were decent and clean. The beds were very comfortable. Very few amenities to speak of, but we knew that going in. In prior reviews some prudes mention the strip club Eyecandy next door!! PLEASE!! You cannot see or hear a thing that happens over there! It could very well be a church and it wouldn't matter. Bottom line is for the price we paid and location (right next to both North & South I-5 freeways) you cannot beat this hotel if you're on a budget. It's safe. It's clean. It's affordable. Enough said.

Room Tip: This hotel has no restaurant or fitness center. Not a bad thing; just stating fact.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you so much for your review. For providing positive feedback and for recognizing the value and for commenting on what we advertise (or don't) and that we met your expectations. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay. and really appreciate EVERYTHING you mentioned.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I stayed there over the Comic Con weekend for work, and it was better than expected. The rooms are clean and spacious, and the AC worked really well. The bathrooms were nothing special but were clean and worked without any problems. The location was great (even though there is a strip club next door); it's about a 3 minute walk to the E-street trolley station (you do have to walk across the freeway though) with some food options around. Or you can take the trolley southbound one station and get GREAT tacos at Tacos El Gordo!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to include your comments and for being informative to other readers for nearby restaurants and Events that happen in San Diego/Chula Vista. Comic Con is the biggest event for San Diego happening every July. There's lots of Excitement, lots of people and a great time to experience San Diego. Thank you for commenting that the hotel met your expectations and I hope to see you again next year. Book Early!!