“it was not what i expected. very dissapointed.”

Howard Johnson Inn And Suites San Diego Area/Chula Vista
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Chula Vista
Los Angeles, California
“it was not what i expected. very dissapointed.”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I went 2 weekends ago. i expected the hotel to be wonderful. well i was wrong. yes it had a living room. but it did not have a kitchen how it said it would. we didnt have a microwave. we didnt have a phone in the room to call service. we had to use our phones to call the lobby. before i showered i found hair in the tub that was not mine of course. the restroom was super small. our room was across the street from the lobby and swimming pool. my boyfriend found a big roach in the bathroom in the shower. yuck! the bathroom door did not close all the way or has a lock. we had to call service for toilet paper and for the microwave. there was lots of noise outside couldnt really sleep. kids running up and down screaming and playing in front of our room when there was lots of space outside. we stayed in the first floor. and the people who stayed up stairs when they would shower you can hear the water on was so loud. the parking lot was super small. we had to park outside. had a horrible experience with the hotel room . never again would we be staying there. i felt really grossed out being there.

Room Tip: rooms that are quieter cleaner bigger parking lots and with great service.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marisol r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I was mentally prepared to stay here armed with the honest reviews I thought I could do it.
My room was across the road, in a different building.
The pool was a lovley storage are for friges,beds, misc building supplies.
My room had recently been revovated, sort of. New windows with locks on one side, window with random locking rig up on the other. Couch was un usable. Kitchenette was ripped apart. Coffee was graciously supplied but no coffee maker.
The bed WAS THE BEST part. New matress and clean sheets.

Then there were my roommates. At first I thought they were ants (I hadn't met a roach before) then after some google, learned they were german cockroaches. Ok, a water beetle that can truck along fast, I reasure myself that they didn't bite. I can endure water beetles noooo problem.
But then I need a shower, and the tub didn't drain. Still this wasn't my breaking point. Noisy tenants no problem. Noisy ac unit no problem.

It was opening the door and being greeted by an american cocroach that broke me. I didn't know what to do. If I squished it what a mess. If I left it it might steal the tv.
That ladies and gentlemen is when I cried.

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank jellybeanninjax
La Puente, California, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2012

So I only gave this place 1 star, but it totally doesn't deserve even the one. This place should not even be open, I'm surprised it isn't quarantined and boarded up because of its disgusting appearance, rooms and people who stay there and in the area. My husband and I checked into this place late last night and when we got there, it was already looking bad because of the ghetto area that it was in. Random bums and ghetto people were roaming the streets near by. My husband checked in and we went to our room, the parking lot was very small and we saw some guy burning out in the parking lot at like 11pm so I already didn't feel safe leaving my car parked there. We didn't even take our things out of the car and to the room because we had a feeling that we weren't going to be there long. You could tell that people used this place as a home because there were ghetto people everywhere, hanging outside their rooms and walking in the parking lot. We went up a flight of stairs that smelled like urine and got up to our room. When we walked in the room was very small and completely out dated, the furniture was not in good condition and look dirty and worn. The kitchen was small and old looking, tv stand was all cracked and scuffed. The door to the bedroom didn't even open all the way because of the bed being in the way. The restroom was dirty and had roaches roaming the floor and tub. We didn't want to touch anything in this room because it looked gross and unsanitary. So of course we left the room and went back to the front desk. I sat in the car while my husband tried to get a refund on the room. As I was sitting there, I saw some bum urinating and bathing in a self car wash stall, right there out in the open. I was so paranoid sitting watching all of these ghetto people walk by my car and hoping they wouldn't do anything to me. My husband was asked to go view a different room to stay in and he said it was worse than the first and that there were more roaches in the second than the first. He also said that there was a padlock gate lock on the door. He went back to the front desk and had to argue for a refund. They were charging $135 a night for this dump. I wouldnt even stay here for free, I would rather sleep on my car, at least I know its clean. Luckily we found another hotel a mile away for $15 more a night that was well worth it. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst enemy, its terrible and should be closed down!

Room Tip: I'm pretty sure there are no good rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Heidi C
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Would you appreciate living in this dump, the only reason I stayed here was due to a major event being held in downtown San Diego, so I had to go with this roach infested place. First of all when I first walked in, the smell was so bad, I went to the store and buy frabreez to try to offset the smell, with little to no result. So-called house-keeping was terrible, they only supplied with me with two hangers; I asked the housekeeping to get me more; she nooded yes, I also said I needed to have a iron and ironing board, well I got the iron, but no ironing board or hangers, I called the front desk to complain, in short, never got either. Cracked walls, dirty carpet, i can go on and on, in short, save yourself the time and inconvenience; if you can, avoid this hole in the wall at all cost.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank will g
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I didn't even get in the door. The front of the place was full of beer drinking characters, and there were (not joking) prostitutes going into rooms and soliciting guys out front. People would peek out through windows at people pulling up. I watched all this from across the street for a bit, then found another place to stay, and sucked up paying for the night...which was fine by me as long as I didn't have to stay there. The place and area looks fine on Google, I thought I could live with the poorer conditions inside, as many reviewers have said. But no way was I going to leave my car with things in it, and risk my wife and two sisters in this kind of environment. You have been warned.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank chrissalazar95
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The "pool" was filled with broken furniture and old TV's. The room had blood on the curtains and bathroom mirror. I stepped on carpet tack's, my microwave was broken and if I wanted anything i had to walk down three flights of stairs then go across the street to the front office. They refused to deliver anything. My comforter had a huge wad of chewing gum smashed on it, which means to me that they didn't bother changing the sheets before i checked in. The most disgusting, foul ghetto motel i have ever had to stay in. My phone didn't even have buttons on it. They also don't tell you that people are permanently living in some of the rooms, so you have to smell and hear them all day and night. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY. sleeping in your car would be better,.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Valerie S
Imperial Beach, California, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I needed a place for a week as I was in transition from one place to another. I got to my 1st room and it was disgusting....the "kitchen" floor was not finished, there were holes in the tile. There were no chairs for the table. The couch was gross with stains and when I went into the bathroom there were cock roaches! I went to the desk to report my findings and asked to be put in another room. They gave me another room and when I went to put my food in the refrig there were towels in there and water leaked all onto the floor! I went into the bathroom and there was a pair of DIRTY underwear hanging on the shower curtain holder! I then went back to the office and asked for my cc to be credited back the money I'd spent. The lady at the desk said since it had been 2 hrs since I initially checked in she would have to at least charge me 55$ for that time!!! I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THIS PLACE TO A HOMELESS PERSON!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo