“Will not be back” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Chula Vista
New York City, New York
“Will not be back”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

This hotel was one of our stops during a road trip. We really just needed a place to crash for a night so didn't need a palace.

It was cheap and looked OK on the website. Location was convenient - close to the highway- as we needed to hit the road early in the morning, but the area itself is not great. The swimming pool is in the middle of the parking lot.

Check in was fast, and everything looked OK from the outside, but then...
Room smelled terrible, and had clearly not been cleaned, the floors were filthy.
At night we walked out to get some dinner around; as we returned, we had a view over drunk people urinating in the parking lot; then a car entered the parking, with the driver offering drugs. Didn't feel safe at all.

The beds are OK, if you manage to forget about the smell in the room.

In the morning, we wanted to get some breakfast: no coffee left, the girl at front desk only gave us the "what am I gonna do about it" look. The few pastries looked terrible, so we didn't even try to have one.
Not even a "was everything OK" or a "thank you" as we checked out.

Will not be back, and can't recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrmnem
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
This hotel has been renovated and upgraded in many ways, everything from beds to linen and TV's etc. Please come and check us out again sometime.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Chula Vista, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

well we booked this due to free continental breakfast... upon arrival we were told there would be pastries between 7am-9:30am.. we were at reception at 9am nothing left.... no breaky for us on either day... bad bad service and poorly advertised....

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bjcontours68
Thank you for the review this hotel has been changed and renovated. and it is very different now. Please come back thank you.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

Beds are very comfy, pillows a bit overstuffed, bathrooms (shower especially) in very poor condition as I almost didnt want to step into the tub worried I could get a fungus on my fet, shower curtains are deteriorated, and the bathroom window was missing a glass panel (yes, imagine how old school is this place!!); but other than that, we spent 3 nights there the location was very good relative to the highway, fast food restaurants and even walmart ( where we bought waters and snacks )

The only thing is that we were wondering is how this place is rated #4 on trip advisor as it is a very avergae/poor hotel (more like a motel in any case).

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Kandiaisa
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
We have upgraded this hotel, thank you.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

I flew a colleague of mine in from Chicago a few weeks back. Upon pulling into this roach motel, two prostitutes approached my car soliciting money. They told us that they were regulars there. When we made it to the lobby, the front desk agent was so pre- occuppied with her children that she gave me the wrong key to my room. (As if competing with children for the atttention of their mother just so that I could get into my room wasn't enough!!!) Upon finally getting into my, i was very displeased to see the false advertisement that this company portrays. My room was in decent condition, but there still were condom wrappers in the bath room trash can and it seemed as if the house keeper had forgot to take out the old towels and replace them with new ones! To make things worse, 2 weeks after check out I was charged $200 to my credit card for smoking in a non-smoking room. However my reservation clearly stated that i had reserved a SMOKING room but they still refused a refund. (maybe if the front desk agent would have had a babysitter that day, she could have been more focused on her job).

Long story short, the lack of proffesionalism at this property leads me to believe that almost anybody with the money to buy into a franchise opportunity can buy into a hotel chain ( especially VAGABOND INN.) Although the price may sound tempting, I WOULD RECCOMMEND NEVER TO STAY AT THIS PARTICULAR PROPERTY!!! BY DOING SO, YOU ARE ONLY GIVING YOUR INFORMATION TO CON- ARTISTS THAT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE AND HIDE BEHIND FINE PRINT IN ORDER TO JUSTIFY DOING SO!!!

A one day business trip where my room was advertised at $69.95 ended up costing me $300 (plus a headache) only because the owner was too prideful to admitt their shortcommings.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO SERIOUSLY CONSIDER BEFORE GIVING THESE PEOPLE ANY OF YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION. EVEN IF IT IS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE FOR A "DEPOSIT". i AM SURE YOU CAN FIND SOMETHING ELSE THAT IS REASONABLE WITHIN THE SAN DIEGO/ CHULA VISTA AREA. IT MAY NOT BE WORTH TAKING A CHANCE WITH YOUR MONEY!!

Like they say, "U pay less, you get less!" Take your time, look around. Hopefully this small advice can help you have a better stay in san diego than I did.

Room Tip: Stay away from vagabond Inn Chula Vista!!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank englishbulldogg
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
We have a zero tolerance policy, we cooperate with the police department ALWAYS! This entire hotel has been upgraded and some renovations as well. We do not charge cards generally until check out. Although we DO enforce the non smoking policy. We understand that this stay was along time ago but we would still like to apologize for your inconvenience.
Biggera Waters, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

I forgot to ask where they get their pillows from. Seriously they were the best we've ever slept on. My son and I agreed on that. Was worried about the trailer park next door but that didn't pose a problem at all. The first night though we did have people above us who decided to keep us awake half the night. Other than that all was good.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thanks for the old review albeit older, we have upgraded a lot since your stay many years ago!
Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2010

I have stayed in this hotel for years, I have never ever had a problem. I am safe and the rooms are great and the staff is awesome. I always feel very safe. The beds are comfortable and the hotel is clean.

You will not be sorry staying here at all.

In todays economy everyone can save a few dollars and have a great place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
J P, Manager at Vagabond Inn Chula Vista, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Although this review is old, we do appreciate all of the feedback and we have upgraded many things at this hotel. Please come and stay with us again soon!
Moreno Valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

Stayed from Friday July 2-Sun July 4th for a baseball tournament just me (Mom) & 4 boys (17 yrs, 11 yrs, 5 yrs, & 3 yrs). Perfect hotel room with 2 rooms & 3 beds! The pool & jacuzzi were such a fun & relaxing activity to do at the end of every day! This hotel is also placed where you can travel to anywhere your family would want to go in San Diego at a reasonable price! We traveled to Coronado State Beach, Imperial Pier, Old Town San Digo & Seaport Village, plus lots of baseball fields! Staff was very helpful when you needed them & the complimentary breakfast every morning was yummy & plentiful!

• Stayed July 2010