“A Beautiful Oasis”

Pacific Palms Resort
West Covina, California
“A Beautiful Oasis”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Lush grounds and alluring views of the San Gabriel Mountains made our stay pleasant and comfortable. I was impressed with the rooms, lobby, restaurants, spa and Golf Course. The workout room was clean and functional. The staff was attentive and friendly.

I did not feel like I was in the San Gabriel Valley. Instead, I felt like I was in an oasis far removed from the surronding city.

There are many sitting areas around the hotel that were relaxing and not crowded. One of the restaurants offered both indoor and outdoor seating. The outdoor seating had impressive views and a live jazz band playing by our table.

The rooms had everything we needed: internet access, a table, good air-conditioning, a comfortable bed and a nice TV. I come here often to hang out and use the facilities. I live in the area and enjoy coming here just to get away.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Pacific P, Manager at Pacific Palms Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear Dougsanch:

We are glad that you come to Pacific Palms Resort for your escape and that you were able to stay overnight as well. We look forward to seeing you again!

Thank you!

-Pacific Palms Resort Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Mansfield, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Went here to a conference and had a great stay. The rooms are above average and the beds are comfortable. No refrigerator in the room, but they do have a mini bar fridge. The hotel has two restaurants onsite. Cima, which has a good breakfast buffet, and Red that has high priced but good quality steaks.

Two golf courses and a driving range, onsite gift shop and great grounds. Decent pricing as well.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Pacific P, Manager at Pacific Palms Resort, responded to this review, 31 May 2013
Dear Wyomingdan:

Thanks for the review that gave a great snapshot of what we have to offer at our resort! When you visit us again, you'll have to be sure and enjoy our beautiful spa located next door to Red Restaurant.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Regards,

Pacific Palms Management
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I attended a hospitality conference here in May. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The rate was very good, and since I had never stayed at the Pacific Palms before, I wasn't sure what to expect. The golf course and grounds are spectacular. Just a beautiful environment. Sitting on the patio on a sunny afternoon amid the palm trees - now what could be wrong with that! I found the food at the Cima restaurant to be quite good - the portions very large - more than you could ever eat. The staff were friendly and helpful - as I said - much more than I expected at that rate.

Hello Colleen M.

Thank you for the review. We are glad that you were able to enjoy your time at Pacific Palms during the conference. We actually really enjoy the view and palm trees on the patio too!

We look forward to your next visit with us!

Regards,

Pacific Palms Management
Ventura, California, United States
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Stayed here for a night in May of 2013. Had to check in early and the front desk was very accommodating. I asked for a high floor and was given floor 9. I didn't hear any noise from the lobby at all. Bed was very soft and comfortable. I had a "city" view which was nice at night from the balcony. You can see my pictures. They are of the "Deluxe King" type room that I stayed in. Overall a great stay!

Room Tip: Lobby looks very busy with parties and conferences. Try to get a higher room for the noise, and also...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
PPR123, Manager at Pacific Palms Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Dear Michael H.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

-Pacific Palms Management
Frisco, Texas
Reviewed 10 May 2013

Unfortunately this hotel is the closest for a monthly business trip we take to this area.
Every time we stay it gets progressively worse.
Service at the restaurant is slow and poor, we have complained in the past but there has been no improvement. On this last visit we ordered drinks with tonic and they tasted as if they had bleached the pipes. Dreadful.
We have had experiences with bed bugs and have recieved very little response to this.
On one stay I had a room where the shower was half way down the wall (despite being over a bath) and the towel hook on the back of the door was also low. I assume it was a disabled room although I was never informed and find it strange that it would be a step in over the bath shower in a disabled room.
On two stays my coffee machine has iterally leaked all over the table/desk (the only place you can actually plug it in!)
This visit was the worst. My air conditioning was incredibly noisy. I complained and was told later at dinner that they would need to move me. I was very tired after travelling and declined. I never recieved an apology nor a discount.
In addition, the shower handle was hanging off the wall, the power sockets were also hanging off, my room had one bedside table and the lamp on it did not work.
I would not recommend this hotel at all, there is something intrinsically wrong with the maintenance and cleanliness of the property.

1 Thank Kim J
PPR123, Manager at Pacific Palms Resort, responded to this review, 14 May 2013
Hello Kim J:

We appreciate the time you took to write this review. We take our guests' concerns very seriously and make all efforts to address any less than excellent experience. Please be assured that your review was shared with our staff. We are taking a careful look at the issues you mentioned and making corrections as needed.

Thank you again for your time.

Travellers are raving about these City of Industry hotels

Arizona
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Went to the hotel in April for a wedding. The wedding was off site, but the reception was at the hotel. Driving up the hill, everything looked great. The grounds were nice and the golf courses looked great. The driving range was a little disappointing, but it had plenty of room for lots of people at one time.
Checked in no problem. A couple of friends were checking in at the same time with a different person at the main desk. They were standing right next to me. So I heard most of the conversation. They received a bunch of information about the property and the amenities and they got it with a cheery disposition. I didn't receive any of the same info from the person helping me, but she was pleasant, just not cheery. When I booked the room I was told there weren't any more rooms with king beds at the special rate for the wedding. My friends booked 1 month after me and somehow received a room with a king at the special rate. It wasn't a big deal for me, but worth noting.
When I got to the room, everything looked good. The only negative was the tiny balcony. It was on the small side, but the view made up for it. I used the restroom and noticed the sink did not drain. When I came out of the bathroom, my wife said one of the lights did not work. I called the front desk to report the sink and they said someone was coming right up. They specifically asked if it was OK to have someone come up at that time. When I got off the phone I noticed the in-room safe did not work. The screen read "low battery". I called back to report the safe issue. About 30-40 minutes later a guy showed up to fix the sink. Someone was trying to talk to him on his radio about the safe. It seemed like they didn't know who to call about the safe.
We were leaving for dinner so it wound up being good timing. We went to dinner with friends at a nearby restaurant. We returned to the hotel and went to the makeshift bar (they had some construction going on) to meet some other friends attending the wedding.. The server at thew bar was really nice. We returned to our room about 12:30 a.m. the bathroom door was closed with a rolled up towel on the ground and our balcony door was open (I closed it before leaving). When I opened the bathroom door, the sink was full of black soot. I called the front desk and they simply said they had been trying to get a hold of me and they needed me to change rooms. They couldn't have tried to hard to contact me since they didn't call my cell phone which they had on file. I wasn't upset about not getting a cal, but was a little bothered about not getting a simple "sorry".
Someone came up to give me keys to another room on the same floor. They also didn't say sorry, but just wanted to make sure the keys worked and nobody was in the room.
My wife and I moved all of our stuff at 1am after having a few cocktails, so needless to say I wasn't that happy. We were glad to have a room with a working sink, but now we had a view of a rooftop. They didn't offer a discount, didn't offer an upgrade, didn't offer a meal at the restaurant, but they did take our view away and inconvenienced us just a bit.
The rest of the trip went pretty well with the exception of a few issues. The reception was good and lots of fun. I'm not sure who provides the for at the wedding, but there were issues with the food. Reception guests pre-selected whether they wanted beef, fish, or vegetarian dinner. There were even color coded on the back of our nameplates, which I thought was a great idea. The issue is they didn't have enough fish. Someone at our table didn't get fish even though that is what they selected. They asked for the vegetarian dish since the fish was gone. The staff said that wasn't an option either since all the pasta was gone as well. It was finally resolved. I'm not sure where the food came from, but a different pasta dish was served to the person and it wound up being delicious.
The last night in the room, it started to smell like smoke. The room was nonsmoking. The room and the stuff inside didn't smell, but the air coming from the a/c vents smelled. Even with the a/c off, the area near the vents smelled. I could have complained, but I definitely was not going to switch rooms again at 1am for the second straight day so we just dealt with it.
When we checked out the next morning, the front desk employee didn't ask about our stay, only about the wedding. I mentioned the room smelled of smoke. The response was "I will send security up so we can charge the person smoking". I guess that is great for their bottom line, but that wasn't the response I was looking for. Charging someone else doesn't help me nor does it encourage me to visit the hotel again. Overall I want to say the trip was average, but the experience was poor. The only things that were good were the company and the wedding/reception.
Just my opinion...

Room Tip: Ask for an odd number room so you have a good view.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
PPR123, Manager at Pacific Palms Resort, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Dear Vacationguru1234:

Thank you for your time to write this review. We certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced and have addressed every issue mentioned.

We certainly take great pride in the resort and regret that you had a less than satisfactory experience. We hope that, in the future, we will have the opportunity to show you that our entire staff takes great pride in delivering excellent hospitality and is typically top notch!

Thank you once again for visiting.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This is a conference and meeting hotel is in the middle of suburbia with some good golf courses. the property looks like it has been recently renovated and it is in good shape but from a service and food perspective it is a train wreck.

Rooms
Modern, renovated, clean, good wifi, comfortable beds, great views. The unfortunately thing is that the hot water is not hot and its intentional. I complained about that and got not response for two days until I demanded a new room. They sent maintenanceup and they turned the hot water up to scalding in retaliation (seriously not funny).

The breakfast buffet is horrible - powdered scrambled egg mix (same powder mix is used in omlettes) with sausages and bacon, a few cheap fruits and assorted stale bread 0 that's it. At dinner, our food was cold. The good served by the hotel during meetings was basically what you night expect from a low-end caterer.

At best, you could describe service as indifferent. In the bar there were 2 bartenders operating at slow speed despite the bar being being super busy with a large number of meetings. It would take people 10 minutes to get these guys to look up and another 5 to get them to pour a drink. At breakfast, three of our 4 omelets were wrong. The waitress tried to tell us that we got each others orders (um, not even close).

Gym
A solid B if this was a city hotel but a c minus for the resort it calls itself - small and cramped and windowless in the basement. Not a lot of equipment and missing some absolute essentials.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near City of Industry
Comfort Suites Near Industry Hills Expo Center
Courtyard Los Angeles Hacienda Heights/Orange County
Courtyard Los Angeles Hacienda H...
#1 of 3 in Hacienda Heights
Courtyard Los Angeles Baldwin Park
Ayres Suites Diamond Bar
Ayres Suites Diamond Bar
#1 of 3 in Diamond Bar

Been to Pacific Palms Resort? Share your experiences!