“Great Place for Camping”

Mount Diablo State Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Clayton
More attraction details
Owner description: Offers vast views from its summit.
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I'm the Cub Master for a local Cub Scout Pack. We camp at Mt. Diablo often, since it is so close to home. Any kids getting home sick can be zipped home in a few minutes. Who would have thought that a 20 minute drive can get you out of the City and into the "wilderness".

1  Thank joel1316
in 4 reviews
"sierra nevada"
"inside the building"

Reviewed 20 February 2013

We live very close to both gates/entrances. We like to hike different parts of the park, driving up to the top is nice too when we are short on time. Camping is great and picnics are wonderful especially in the spring!

Reviewed 11 February 2013

Again, I under estimate my own back yard. I've lived in the Bay Area my entire life, and only yesterday did I make time to visit Mt. Diablo. Wow! A beautiful, scenic drive up to the summit takes roughly 20 minutes. The park itself is huge! The day use was a great deal at $10! Along the way we stopped to climb around 'Rock City' the wind carved rocks and surrounding area. The views were amazing, although cold and windy at the top. Be prepared and wear warm gear. There was even a little respite at the summit, with a toasty warm visitor center, museum, small movie theater and gift shop! Sadly, the observation deck was closed and wont re-open until next month, so if you want to wait and go then, I'm sure it will be an amazing view, I'll have to go back! 5 stars for natural beauty!!

1  Thank urban_girlie
Reviewed 24 January 2013

For years we lived near the entrance to Mt. Diablo. Our family, my girl scout troop, and our friends would go up there to hike and/or have a picnic. Rock City was a favorite spot. When our daughter was younger, we would frequently camp there just for the night and take a telescope to look at the stars. The view of the valley down to Walnut Creek is great.

1  Thank SuzanLaw
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Close to major urban clog-zones, this park is a gem. Beautiful, seductive hills, classic California landscape. View from the top best to the north featuring the Sacramento River delta. We enjoyed one of the numerous picnic areas along the way - there are lots of tables and we had the place to ourselves, very nice. (When we visited January 19, the restrooms AND the visitor center were under repair - watch for signage or ask at the gate so you can plan ahead.)

1  Thank RaggedClaws49