“Ooops!”

Mount Diablo State Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Clayton
More attraction details
Owner description: Offers vast views from its summit.
Oakland, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Ooops!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Well, we managed to unknowingly commit just about everything wrong. We brought wine and beer, burned wood, brought air soft guns, left something smoking in the fire pit (although I think it was just steam from a wet wipe), and the kids were noisy (that really was the campsite next to us but I don't think it mattered at this point). They very politely asked us to leave. I looked over the papers they handed out and sure enough, all that was on there with the exception of the air soft guns, which I guess we were supposed to know out of hand. I did not.

I would definitely go back.... better behaved. :)

Visited September 2013

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“From Novice to Pro, this Mountain has it all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

A friend and I decided to go hiking on a whim, and picked this place because of the closeness to us.

Unfortunately going in August meant dried up waterfalls, and lots of dead brush. But that did not take away from the views over looking the valley when we got up to the high points. I would like to go back in the early spring to see what was missing from the hot summer months.

Regardless, I would recommend this for anyone who is looking for a place to hike. The signage was clearly visible, the paths weren't overgrown. It was very easy to navigate around. We ran across many people hiking it alone, which I thought was odd until I got out there.

Just make sure you bring water and sunblock if you plan to hike it in the summer!!!

Hudsonville, Michigan
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“What a view from atop Mt. Diablo!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

We drove down the 680 from Pleasant Hill to Danville and followed the signs to Mt. Diablo State Park. The park opens at 8 a.m., and there is a gate at the bottom, so you cannot get in before that time. The road winds up, up, and up all the way to the summit of Mt. Diablo, but you can feel free to stop to hike somewhere along the way. Ask the park ranger at the fee booth (costs $10, $9 for senior citizens.) They give you a map of the park when you pay, too. Stopping to hike would be our recommendation, since the visitor center atop the mountain does not open until 10:00 a.m. Take your time and stay in your lane as you drive up, as there are dozens of cyclists making the climb and ZOOMING down the mountain. We stopped to hike for an hour in the Rock City area, and met a few mountain bikers on the trails. Then we drove all the way to the Summit. Make sure to take the Mary Bowerman Trail around the summit -- what a gorgeous trail and views all the way around! The trail is easy, and highlighted with interpretive markers. The trail is accessible at the bottom of the parking lot, just where the divided road ends, so park at the top and walk down. Very worthwhile and beautiful for all ages! Spectacular view!

3 Thank rjrjj
UK
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Spectacular Views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Took the road up to the top of Mount Diablo. Around every corner there was a different view with well maintained viewing points. The road is very twisty with a lot of cyclists enjoying the challenge of the long climb. Views from the top were spectacular (up to 200 miles in all directions) with the ranger in the visitors station at the top supplying all the information you could ever want.

1 Thank Dick F
Brentwood, California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great Climbing & Exploring in Rock City”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

In the picnic areas at the top of Mt. Diablo is an area called, "Rock City," which has sandstone wind caves and great climbing and exploring. This was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. We would take our pet goats and climb with them on the rocks.
On this trip, my wife and I took our nieces, ages 8 and 10. We didn't climb or explore as much as we would have liked due to the 95 degree weather, but we found some great caves. We then headed to the summit where they have great views, and even a gift shop. I was disappointed that their observation platform was closed for repairs. They now have a great little gift shop (which my nieces always look for) and a nice nature display in the air-conditioned building on the summit. My 10-yr-old niece said, "I like this place." But beware, it is a 5+ mile drive to the summit on winding roads at 15-20 mph, so be cautious if you are prone to getting car sick!

Visited July 2013