“Great Hikes, Crazy Roads”

Mount Diablo State Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Clayton
More attraction details
Owner description: Offers vast views from its summit.
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Mount Diablo was an awesome experience and worth the $10 entry fee. I will say the windy roads on the way up were an experience, maybe more so than the actual hiking haha. We (my girlfriend and I) hiked the Rock City trail which was one of the first trails/parking areas we came across. The rock city trail was a cool trail for someone like me who was not a true "hiker" per say. I had my Gatorade, snacks, and bean boots but lacked a general sense of direction. We saw some awesome rock formations along the way, but decided to turn back early as we were running low on Gatorade as well for fear of getting lost.

We hopped back in the car and drove to the summit which was awesome. The "Eye of Diablo" sits atop the summit. I don't know the exact history other than it's a historically significant light house. The views are amazing from all points/all trails. I definitely recommend this adventure. Make sure you have enough gas, snacks, and drinks to hike. Cheers.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Mt. Diablo is always great and always interesting. I wouldn't travel from any place too far to see it - it's not that great - but for anyone within an hour, it's a terrific place. For me, the best part is the scenic views on the way up the mountain. Check out my pics to see my point.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Kate December , colder weather, and a great day for a walk up the mountain.
We lucked out on maybe the clearest day around Christmas so we got good views of the bay and the valley.
The dry conditions, prevented a cookout, but otherwise, well worth the day.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Cycled to the top of Mt Diablo starting in Walnut Creek, about 15 miles one way. Free entry to the State Park if you're on a bike. A friend and I took about 2 hours to get to the top and wander around the visitor center (bathrooms and drinks available). This is a highlight cycling segment for anyone in the Bay Area. As you ride uphill, the changing views are spectacular. Coming down, you MUST focus on the road and be prepared to stop, despite the temptation to fly down.

I would kindly ask the car drivers to stay in their lanes and to not pass slower traffic going uphill, especially in a blind curve. Likewise, cyclists must stay on the right and take it easy coming downhill. The ranger said nearly all cycling accidents involve cars straddling the center lane coming uphill. Yikes.

The road is single lane in each direction, and the shoulder is very narrow, so cyclists will need to be aware of traffic coming up behind them. There are no barriers or railings. On a mid-week day in the Winter, the traffic was very, very light. I would not do this ride on a Spring or Summer weekend day!

That said, if you are careful, this is an HC ride which will burn fantastic impressions into your memory.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

Sadly we did not have time to hike as it was the last day of our trip and we had a flight to catch. We drove all the way to the top, and we were glad we did! The views were gorgeous! It was very windy up there and the drive was long and winding, but it was all worth it. I hope I can make it back there someday to explore more of it.

1  Thank EmelyeKay