“Awfully Disappointing Visit To Disgustingly Stinking Lake Front Resort...”

Clear Lake Cottages & Marina
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Clearlake
Davis CA
“Awfully Disappointing Visit To Disgustingly Stinking Lake Front Resort...”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I am not much of a review writer but decided to join trip advisor as I just have to put in my two cents after our recent visit to this much less than perfect resort. Right out the gate they should tell you about what they call the algae problem that Clear Lake is experiencing when you make your reservation. From our water front cottage we could see what actually looked and smelled like raw sewage floating on the water top and deep down too. The birds can WALK ON WATER here!!! Seriously not cool... The smell makes you gag literally! The swimming pool is not a substitute as you are outside still in the stagnant breeze. Try picnicing out there at the tables! Not possible. The property is a non-smoking property...not non-smoking cottages but entire property. Try walking out to the penninsula in the stinking wind to smoke when you desire. Not possible at all. You are not permitted to smoke on your deck or anywhere on the property except the penninsula. Dumb and inconsiderate. It should be designated a non-smoking facility then! Don't trick people. Then there are the A/C units in the cottages. They turn off when no motion is detected! Can you believe it! You leave for awhile, you come back to extreme heat. You lay down to sleep and the A/C turns off! You musy get up to activate it again. Penny pinching from owners who charges top dollars for their cottages. Hmmmmm...I have to say though the staff was friendly enough but the cottages were not spic and span as I was lead to believe. Dirty bath floors were evident after one wipes up the wet floor from a bath or a shower and dishes kind of misplaced here and there in the kitchen looks like the washing of them was left to the responsibility of the previous guest. They need to be checked and freshened. We discovered that dogs are permitted in ANY cottage...not just the ones designated as pet friendly. They will make the exception to not turn you away. This was our case. Look for pet hair as it is evident in the cottages. Almost impossible to completely wipe out. My experience here was a sad disappointment for several hundreds of dollars. I will not go back!
with a white towel. Same with the rest of the hard wood floors in spots.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank monicababy
samirjt, Owner at Clear Lake Cottages & Marina, responded to this review, 3 August 2011
We are very sorry this guest did not have a good stay with us. We strive to make every guest experience outstanding, and when that does not happen, we take it very seriously. This review has prompted a thorough investigation of the issues, and here is what we know.

Algae on the lake: It is estimated that 345-350 days a year, there are no or very little algae on the lake. Unfortunately, there are algae that some people find unpleasant around 15-20 days a year. Let me assure all of our guests that what this guest observed was algae, and nothing else. On those relatively few days when the algae are unpleasant, they tend to clump together form a “bloom” on the surface. We are doing everything possible to abate the algae when blooms occur. The algae comes and goes very quickly and, as result, it can be difficult to tell guests whether it is going to be here on any given day. If any guest has a concern, please call in advance and we will give you our best observations as to how things are going that day.

Smoking: We have received complaints from guests who are bothered by cigarette smoke coming from the decks of other cottages. As a result, our property is now a non-smoking property except for the open area extending out into the water. The vast majority of our guests are happy with this approach. We apologize to our smoking guests who find this policy too restrictive.

Air Conditioning Units: We run an environmentally friendly business and in order to do our part to save energy, and at the urging of PG&E, we installed devices in our cottages that turn the AC down to a lower setting when no one is in the cottage. Many lodging properties have installed similar systems. We are aware, however, of a few situations where the devices have shut off the AC completely in a cottage. As a result, we have turned off the devices until they can be reset to work as intended.

Housekeeping: All of the housekeepers have been trained on every aspect of cleaning a cottage. While the vast majority of comments we get are very positive about how clean the cottages are, even one complaint about this is not acceptable to me and I am working with our housekeeping team to make sure we do not have a repeat. Additionally, we have discovered that some of the linoleum in the bathrooms is “shedding” and this creates a problem. We are in the process of replacing the linoleum in these cottages to eliminate this problem.

The overwhelming majority of our guests are thrilled with the extensive renovations, wonderful amenities and above all the wonderful service that Cherie, Ruth, Jessica, Michelle, Haley, Jason, Noel, and Chris all provide to our guests. We are committed to a wonderful guest experience, and also take corrective measures when something goes wrong.

If any guest ever has an issue, please raise the issue with our staff, and we will correct it as soon as possible. If you would like to reach me, the owner, feel free to email me at samirtuma@hotmail.com.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Monterey
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a couples getaway without our kids. The main purpose of the trip was for us to relax and that definately happened.

The Cabin - We stayed on the only water front cabin. The cabin was nice and we liked the deck over the water. Downfall is at times the lake smelled bad. I am not sure if it was the green plants coming from the water or the algae in the water? When you look out the side window, there is a really run down property. We kept the blinds closed over there.

I felt that the cabin could have been a little cleaner. My husband spilled a little juice on the floor and I used a cleaning wipe (that I brought with me) to clean it up and the cloth was black. Not sure when they last cleaned the floors. The deck had a lot of spider webs and the chairs were dirty. They should probaby wipe that stuff down between visits.

We brought our own chair and used them because I didn't think I should have to wipe down the chairs myself.

It was great to have the full kitchen and we used it a lot. The kitchen was stocked with everything you could possibly need.

The Resort -

The property was attractive and the gardening looked nice. The pool seemed a little small for the size of the property. There was a large family with a lot of children and they had almost the whole pool taken over. Me and my husband squeezed into a little section in the deep end. There were not enough lounge chairs, we only got them one of our for days there.

One day while we were there they had to close the pool down for the whole day. We were quite disappointed because our hope was hang by the pool all day. I think it was closed because it was so small and so full of people all weekend. Of course the same day the gas grill was broken and we had planned to make some hamburgers.

The Staff -

They were extremely friendly and helpful.

The Town -

If you smoke meth and like prostitutes, you will fit right in. Otherwise, stay in the resort. The first night we went to the Safeway and we saw a prostitute standing outside. The town seems to be poverty stricken and is depressing. There are people walking and driivng around in electronic wheelchairs everywhere. The people walking don't look like exercisers. People who can't afford a car or don't have a driver's license?

There are two decent restaurants. One is the Main Street Bar and Grill which the resort will give you a discount for. The other is the Cactus Grill (delicous mexican food).

There really isn't much to do in town. Trust me you don't want to hang out there - especially after dark. My husband is a police officer and didn't think it was too safe. We drove a 1/2 hour away to Lakeport and saw a movie one night then another night we went to a casino about 20 minutes away. Two nights we just chose to stay in. I felt safe in the resort but we originally thought we would take nice walks and never took one because we didn't want to leave the property.

We had a good trip but I don't think I would ever go back to Clearlake again. This resort is a beautiful flower in a big patch of weeds.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kookasmom99
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 14 July 2011

We are a group of four adults and one six year old child. We found this locale through tripadvisor, after learning Konocti had closed down. The cottages were lovely! Newly refurbished, nice wood floors, excellent beds, nice linen and fluffy, fresh towels. Cottage #14, where we stayed, had a newly installed kitchen too. Restaurant choices are limited in the town, so we went to Safeway and used the kitchen a lot. Nice ammenities in the kitchen too! The pool area was very nice and clean, stocked with towels. We spent one day at Harbin Hot Springs, which is a must-do. The staff at the cottages are absolutely delightful and made our visit even better. I fully recommend a stay here for a low-key vacation. Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Taery
Modesto, California
Reviewed 7 June 2011

This place is amazing. We stayed in a cottage with a private deck over the water. We frequent Clearlake often and I speak from experience when I say you can't find anything better around, nor would you want to! I am so happy we found this place. Clean and beautiful cottages and attentive staff. I never post a review without a suggestion, so here it is: the property needs a hot tub.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MichellesView
Redwood city
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We received the best service we have ever had. The managers make you feel like family and are extremely accommodating. The rooms are very clean and all look brand new. The rooms with kitchens are completely stocked with everything you need. There are grocery stores and restaurants fairly close, if you do not want to cook. If you do want to cook you can BBQ right next to the water while fishing. The location on the lake is wonderful lots of good fishing by boat or from the lawn area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Belsmom25
calif
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Stayed here because it was rating #1 on tripadvisor and had driven by it on last trip to Clear Lake. Clean, well layed out, certainly above brighter than surrounding properties in Clear Lake. Rooms are large, newly furnished. Expansive setting on the lake. If we had a boat it would be a great place to launch and keep the boat while on the lake. Cheri and owner of the property very responsive. Also very comfortable beds. I would recommend units away from the highway, which could be a little noisy.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tcombs
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Newely Remodeled, very nice cottages. Very clean, comfortable beds, plush towels. Rooms have a small fridge and microwave. Full size coffee pot with coffee and creamer. You are able to sit out on the deck and look out at the lake. I would recommend asking for a cottage where the deck faces the lake very peaceful. You can even dock your boat at the hotel, not sure how much the fee is. The woman that was at the front desk, not sure if she was the manger or owner but she was very friendly. She went out of her way to make the stay nice.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearlake
Vista del Lago Lakehouse and Cottages
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites
Tallman Hotel
Tallman Hotel
#1 of 3 in Upper Lake

Been to Clear Lake Cottages & Marina? Share your experiences!