“No coffee, No ice, No Curb Appeal”

Travelodge Clearlake
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Clearlake
Atlanta
“No coffee, No ice, No Curb Appeal”
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I took my parents to visit relatives in Clearlake, CA. The town's heydays have passed, and few nice hotels/accommodations exist. The Travelodge needs a lot of repairs. The pool gate was chained and swimming wasn't allowed while we were there (2 weeks before Labor Day).
We had a room with two double beds at the rear for the hotel, so it was quiet. The blankets on the bed had stains on them. The beds were comfortable enough for a two-night stay. The pillows were thin and needed replacing.
The door to the bathroom rubbed against the commode when you closed it. The water faucet in the shower leaked as much water as it sprayed. The water was hot.
Do not count on the "breakfast" which is dry cereal, coffee, and a cinnamon roll in a wrapper. A small side table contains the breakfast items, next to the check-in counter. The office can hold 4 people at most. The second morning my mom said they didn't have coffee when she went to the office. We ended up going out for breakfast, spending about $30 for it. You'd be better off staying at a place with a real breakfast, and putting the money toward the accommodations.
I would not stay at this place again. There's Middle Lake and other small towns near Clearlake that have hotels. We also asked at the Main Street Cafe, and they recommended another place with cabins on the lake.
When I travel I usually stay at Marriott hotels (including the Courtyard and Residence Inn). I've also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. The Travelodge makes them look like 5-star hotels.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank TennisFan8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I frequently travel to Clearlake for both business and place and the Travelodge is my first option. They have nice, comfortable and clean rooms, especially given the reasonable rates. They also provide a nice simple continental breakfast. My kids really enjoyed the pool and hot tub. I don't know about some of the older negative reviews, but my guess is that some of them were before Jay's family took over management a couple of years ago. Jay and his staff have always been nice to me and my family. Thanks!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnnyBoy111
california
Reviewed 18 July 2008

Well it starts out as my fiance and I made plans to stay at this hotel through friends of ours to go to a concert there in Clearlake . We had planned to stay 2 nights but unfourtunatly it ended being only one. One of our friends son had a tragic accident and we all had to leave in a hurry. I had packed quickly and while on the road home I realize that I had left some items in the drawer of one of the dressers in the room. I called and talked with one person and then I got JAY :) . He had went to find my items (which some people might find friviless but were important to me) and by monday he had sent them to me. I do appreciate JAY and the patience he had with me as for my trip already being messed up, he turned a bad cituation into a little better one. I can't say perfect because of the loss of the son but I would deffinitly stay at this Travel lodge again and would recommend it to all of my friends and family. As for negitive reviews on the place I will not give one some people need to quit expecting diamonds when they can only afford a ruby which is still as beautiful ! THANK YOU JAY From Jeanette

• Liked — close to the area where concert was
  • Disliked — having to leave in such a hurry and not enjoying to get to relax
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank lynard
central California
Reviewed 10 July 2008

I found this place available for July 03-06 at the last minute. When we arrived we were greeted warmly by the staff. The room was ok, because we weren't expecting much but the bathrooms are small. However, it was made an overall positive experience by the friendliness of the staff. Upon leaving, my son had left his cell phone in the bed and didn't realize it until 150 miles away. We contacted them and they immediately searched the room for us and found. They then mailed it to us free of charge. Thank you for the positive experience.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — small bathrooms
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Long Beach
Reviewed 5 October 2007

When I first called the Motel I asked were the rooms clean he told me "Oh yeah the rooms are very nice" so of course by it being Travel logde I didn't think nothing can go wrong, boy when I got there I said to myself "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS" I paid $120.00 for this [---]I could not believe it, of course I could not go anywhere else because I was not familar with the area but I said soon as day light come I am getting the hell up out of here, I could not sleep for nothing, before I I made my reservation I ask for non-smoking room and of course I get a smoky room, it was stinky, bathroom was very nasty....Let's just say I WILL NEVER RETURN BACK TO THAT HORRIBLE PLACE AGAIN, but my last day in Clear Lake, CA I end up at the Best Western which is a wonderful stay, I slept great, to be honest paying that type of money you might as well get something nice.
DO NOT GO TO TRAVEL LODGE.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank LongBeachGirl90805

Travellers are raving about these Clearlake hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 June 2006

This place would be adequate if it weren't so overpriced. Travelodges are usually reliable reasonably priced accomodations, but man...$80 for a weekday and $120 for the weekend? Ridiculous....

Here are my itemized complaints with this place:

1) Cigarette burns on the toilet seats and carpet.
2) Missing refrigerator temperature control knobs, everything froze in our mini fridge and there was no way to turn the coldness down.
3) The outdoor pool looked like it hadn't been skimmed in at least 3 days, many floating leaves and debris.
4) Electrical wires sticking out of the walls from an unused light fixture box.
5) Sheets were too small for the bed, the fitted sheet on the bottom would constantly come off.
6) Breakfast doesn't start until 7AM, useless to fisherman and early travelers. Also, its disgusting, unless you are into high fat/high calorie/high sugar danishes and terrible coffee. I never saw a piece of fruit there.
7) Unsecure, I can see how cars were broken into, access can be easily gained to the parking lot from adjacent baseball field and back alley beside auto parts store next door.
8) Outdoor carpets on outside walkways were stained, frayed and in general disrepair.
9) Advertised "High Speed Internet" was laughable. If you were able to get a connection, it either broke off quickly or was very slow.
10) Extremely loud on weekends with partiers, and seemingly no control by management to keep it quiet after a reasonable hour.
11) Unknowledgeable staff. When asked about local attractions the staff didn't have many answers and did not seem very helpful or friendly.
12) Housekeeping would shut off our A/C during the day, so we would come back to the room and it would be nice and hot, thanks to the outside 100 degree temperatures.

Overall I would rate this experience a D-. The best part is you can't checkout after you've checked in. Say you pay for 4 days and you want to leave after the second night.....too bad so sad, no refunds....gee I wonder why. Its like a prison....

Also, I know its not the owners fault but the town of Clear Lake is so unsavory....rundown, depressed, lots of sketchy characters. It kind of ruins the beauty of the place.

Spend the extra $20 a night and go to the Best Western up the block....seriously.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 May 2006

This Memorial Day weekend we stayed at the Travel Lodge in Clear Lake. Just an awful experience. Asked for a non-smoking room. Showed up and the only room available was a smoking room. Owner completely unapologetic. Said we could leave, but good luck finding another room in Clear Lake, since it was Memorial Day weekend, and there was a 48-hour cancellation policy, so we'd have to pay for the room anyway.

The room cost $130, stank like a cigar lounge, had a broken-down bed, cigarette burns on the toilet seat and furniture. Just miserable. Motel was quite noisy, and again, the owner did nothing about the partying coming from the other rooms. We had an awful night, and left, wishing we had left the night before.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clearlake
Clear Lake Cottages & Marina
#1 of 1 in Clearlake Oaks
Tallman Hotel
Tallman Hotel
#1 of 3 in Upper Lake

Been to Travelodge Clearlake? Share your experiences!