“Just Charming!”

Ranked #4 of 5 Cloverdale B&B and Inns
Milwaukee
“Just Charming!”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This was SUCH a great find! We had spent the two previous days in San Francisco in the hustle and bustle so this Inn nestled on the hillside was perfect! I loved everything about it. The bed was SO soft with beautiful soft linens and the bathroom was stocked with natural shampoos and body washes and bath salts. We had a fireplace in our room which was perfect as the two nights we spent there were quite chilly. I had two of the best nights sleep I think I've ever had (dispite the broken foot i aquired in Muir woods).

The breakfast was amazing both days. We were not hungry again until dinner!

I would recommend this to anyone looking for a peaceful beautiful stay.

Room Tip: definately follow the inn keepers directions to get there versus the GPS directions which will lead...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
San Francisco
Reviewed 30 May 2012

i agree with the lovely rustic quality of the inn and the great breakfasts others have commented on. We booked it for a late anniversary trip for 4 nights and had a bit of a different experience than others have had -

• We booked this through expedia - we had never seen it come up- in searches for b and b's in Sonoma county and were delighted to find it. However the proprietor complained about us using expedia, said she never got any information about us even though I had EMAILS from her about our stay! She denied sending any even thought i had them on my phone! She had charged my Credit card EVEN THOUGH the stay was NOT a prepaid stay. Not a great start.

• The water is from a well, which they say is tested regularly, but as i have had bad experiences with well water we bought our own water for drinking.
• The pool is open but not heated and solar warmth only goes so far so not really good for swimming.
• The beds are some kind of pillow top over a very firm mattress - good quality but for us and our old backs, not super comfortable.
• We split our stay between the cottages and a room in the lodge and the cottages are much more quiet and restful.Only the cottages have refrigerators.

The most upsetting experience was on our next to last day, the proprietor left us a note, didn't even bother to find us which as we were on the property most days, was odd- " what is the stain on your towels we can't get it out." Now i admit it, I have dyed hair and a little bit comes out whenever i wash it. I didn't see any stains on my towel when I left it for the housekeeper but it's possible some of my hair color washed off, it often does. The towels were OK, nice but not new by any means and had strings coming off them on the edges like towels sometimes do. I have never had a hotel, motel or B and B complain and I have traveled to all kinds of hotels and motels. Shouldn't you use some kind of bleach product on towels and washcloths if you're running a hotel? I have been coloring my hair for over 20 years and my towels never stain...Anyway we explained that we didn't know of any stains but if there was it was my hair rinse and should come out with hot water. After than the proprietor was really unfriendly, screwed up my final billing and wasn't able to fix it before we left. She has since fixed it and there's no problem, and NO thought she was trying to be dishonest, just a total lack of customer service.

Room Tip: book one of the freestanding cottages for total relaxation! Lodge rooms are not soundproof.
1 Thank Roberta_A_D
Granite Bay, CA
Reviewed 20 May 2012

There's not much to add that hasn't already been said. The stay was wonderful. The Inn is older and comfortable and off the freeway into the Alexander Valley hillside. Deer were regularly grazing on the property. The patio around the Inn is an excellent place to just sit, relax, and enjoy a glass of wine. The rooms are roomy and beautiful and plaques on the wall give you the history of the guy the room was named after. It has flatscreen TV if you want that. There was only a shower curtain for the bathtub, but it worked fine, if a little cramped. It's not a shower for two, but I can live with that. The breakfasts were excellent and the proprietors are good with advice on where to go and what to do. When we returned after dinner, there was dessert or snacks left in the dining room. We had a very good dinner at the Francis Ford Coppola Winery, but didn't get there early enough for a tour, which would have been good. My wife and I decided if we stay at the Inn again we'd schedule a day just to lay around the grounds or pool with a bottle of wine and relax, relax, and relax some more.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Huntington Room. Very nice with a very comfortable bed. Our friends stayed in the S...
Eureka, California
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Our room was lovely, the bathroom as well. The Old Crocker Inn is not right off the highway but nestled back in the beautiful countryside. When I fell asleep at night it was listening to the chirps of the crickets and the sounds of the bullfrogs. Total, beautiful silence. The grounds are full of gorgeous flowers. A real plus - they have bottled water (in their bottles, not commercial plastic) that you can access at any time, as well as treats in the evenings. One evening they had the most delicious lemon iced cookies. The only reason I didn't give this B&B an excellent rating was because of the breakfast - perhaps because I don't like Mexican food, I didn't like the Southwestern frittata they served one morning. It did come with a slice of baked pineapple and a slice of banana bread and a muffin, all of which were very good. The second day we had a quiche with scones and a fruit cup and I enjoyed that much more even though the quiche was a bit heavy on the onion. However, these are personal preferences and I'm sure the others staying at the Inn (it was full) enjoyed the breakfasts.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Hico, Texas
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Never being in this area before, and picking a place from internet research, we couldn't have picked a better place. We had been on the coast for about 5 days and wanted a place on the way back to San Francisco. We only got to be here for 2 nights, but would have liked to have stayed longer. Away from town, but actually in an area that had other houses not too far away. However, the property felt very secluded. The rooms are beautiful & spotless clean. Breakfast was soooo good. It is close to other towns to visit and wineries too. Healdsburg & Geyeserville are close so there are nice restaurants for the evening meal. The owner/innkeepers thought of every detail to make our visit perfect.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kari H
Edmonton
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We had a wonderful vacation experience at the Old Crocker Inn. It is just far enough from the hustle and bustle of wine country to get that away-from-it-all feeling, yet close enough to some outstanding wineries to taste some great wines. The hospitality is wonderful, the setting is lovely, the rooms are cosy, the bed is extremely comfortable and the breakfasts are outstanding. Some wine and and baked treats were an unexpected but welcome treat at the end of the day. What a great find!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This getaway location is perfect for unwinding. The hospitality is welcoming, the layout is upscale rustic, beds are bliss, breakfast is abundently delicious, and wrap around porches enable a connection with nature, We preferred the lodge because of the huge porches, but the cottages have a bit more privacy. We just hung out on the property one day, walked around, read, watched one of their free 400 movies, played with their available dominoes, etc. The best recipe to escape the normal craziness of our lives.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloverdale
Geyserville Inn
H2 Hotel
H2 Hotel
#2 of 9 in Healdsburg
Cloverdale Wine Country Inn & Suites

Been to Old Crocker Inn? Share your experiences!