“Not Sanitary”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Cloverdale
Waterford, California
“Not Sanitary”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed because everything else was booked. The owners are not in tune with the standards of the American traveler. Buildings in disrepair, door mouldings missing, duct tape on carpet hole,etc....... I STRONGLY advise all to stay away from this absolutely filthy dump. Parking was awkward and every single facet of our stay was uncomfortable. We are not snobs, but a very blue collar family just looking for a clean stay. Extreme disappointment.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank David E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Windsor, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

These reviews are giving this cute little hotel a bad wrap. It isn't a Double Tree or a place where up in the air noses should stay, but I enjoyed it. The staff are wonderful and the location is great! Hotels in the area were quite expensive and not in the heart of the town. This room brought back memories of long road trips with my folks when I was a kid. Great place to lay your head and get ready for the rest of your California adventure. The room was clean and comfortable. Realize that it is an older inn and if you are looking for high dollar atmosphere you won't find it here, but I enjoyed it. Great points: Dogs are welcome, free internet (some rooms have wi-fi but ours had use of a cable), convenient store very close, bars close, $100 per night (other hotels in the area were $150 and didn't allow dogs) I would stay here again

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tina L
Newark, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

I was visiting Mendocino and tried to make the 4.5 hour drive back home, but was dozing off on the road so I decided to just stop off at the first motel I came by.

What a mistake.

Although the front desk person was nice and informative, the room was ridiculously bad. I would have thought the room was bad if it was $40 (it was twice as much).

The bathtub needed to be re-caulked. The carpet was old and dingy. The manager told me that the wi-fi wouldn't work and he gave me a ethernet cable to use, but there was no where to plug it in (I spent at least 10 minutes looking).

The ceiling looked like it was missing a layer.

Around 2 am the people above me arrived and I swear on my life it creaked so badly I was worried that they were going to fall through into my room. I could hear every word they were saying. About 15 minutes later I could hear every moan as well.

To be fair, the room was fairly clean, there were no insects (that I saw) and there was hot water. I have a feeling the manager was as nice as he was to offset the horrible room.

The worse motel experience I've had in my life (25+ different experiences).

I rarely take the time to write reviews, but I just couldn't let this one slide.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TonyVanLe

Travellers are raving about these Cloverdale hotels

Bandon, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

The manager or owner seemed like a nice person and this is the only good think I can say about the hotel. The price for the quality of the room was outrageous at $90.00. I have never sleep on a worse or older mattress in my entire life, actually I don’t think I slept more than a hour all night. This mattress was so worn that it rolled you into the middle of the bed and had no support what’s so ever. It should have been hauled to the dump some time back in the 1960s. The sheets on the bed matched the mattress as they were worn to near paper thinness. The sheets would not stay tucked in and exposed the mattress which was absolutely disgusting, At this point I would have packed up and left, but it was after midnight and we had been driving for over 18 hours. We ended up laying on top of the bedspread so we wouldn’t come in contact with the mattress. The baseboard at the bottom of the walls in the bathroom was repulsive due to the black mold. Aside from being dark and dingy, the shower was barely large enough to turn around in and the nozzle was located just below my chin level. Overall the room was extremely run down with the furnishings from the 1960s that showed the wear and tear one would expect after 50 years of service

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Bergen, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

This motel was our only chance. It was late, we were hungry and everywhere else was full. The only room left for us was a shack. It was a small building not attached to the other rooms. It was so bad, but we were so tired we couldn't care. It actually became quite humouristic how bad it was. We went to the local friday music night happening, got drunk, had a great time and that's how we "survived" the room. No hard feelings, just a funny story to tell other people about our stay: "oooohhh, and then we stayed at this aaaawful motel in Cloverdale, it was so bad it IS actually funny". The owner must have known how poor the room was because he insisted that we checked it out first which was quite nice.

But hey! You have now been warned!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
NC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

We were looking for an inexpensive night's stay on the way to Napa/Sonoma. They quoted $69 + Tax. As with ALL hotels/rental homes, etc. that I stay in, I pull back the mattress and check around the headboard and box spring for bed bugs. This room had 2 LIVE bed bugs; adult bed bugs are brown, kinda flat and larger than a sesame seed. We promptly checked OUT, and they refunded the credit card minus a $2.00 fee. I was so glad to get out of there; I didn't complain about the fee although they SHOULD HAVE WAIVED IT. Sheets appeared clean, but had old blood stains on pillow case and sheet. (more bed bug evidence).

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2011

OK, it's not the Hilton. We were looking for a cheap place to overnight on our way up to the Mendocino coast. Cloverdale is the cut-across from Hwy 101, and when it's dark you don't want to be driving on those winding roads. We also had our cocker spaniel with us--many hotels won't take pets. And since all we needed was a bed to crash--the Cloverdale Inn was fine. Not sure you can find anything cheaper. The owner-manager was very courteous and competent. Wish some breakfast had been included, but the Owl Cafe at 485 Cloverdale Blvd is a good and inexpensive eatery. Rooms at the Oaks were spartan but surprisingly large, quiet. The hotel is exactly what it looks like--an inexpensive place to crash for the night.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloverdale
Cloverdale Wine Country Inn & Suites
#1 of 4 in Cloverdale
Auberge on the Vineyard
Auberge on the Vineyard
#3 of 5 in Cloverdale

Been to Cloverdale Oaks Inn? Share your experiences!