“Interesting Stopover” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Coalinga
California
“Interesting Stopover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2010

The Hotel is nicely situated for a stopover when going North to South or the reverse. Great Hotel, good service, great rates. We had a family room and it was a nice size with two rooms and a balcony overlooking the pool. The restaurant on the other hand was a disaster. I may give it another chance to see if this was unique but it is now my worst dining experience in the last 12 to 24 months. The bill for 4 with drinks was $200. The waitress only showed up on rare occasions. We did most of our ordering by flagging down a bus boy. My rib eye was ok to good but the two prime rib dinners were cold and looked like they had been sitting for some time. We didn't ask them to redo it because it was already the longest dining experience in memory and the kids were done. I have to believe this was a flook but one telling comment by an employee is that you'd never catch locals there.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Toluca Lake, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

On the Friday of Labor Day weekend, I was heading up north with my better half. Expecting rough traffic, we decided to stay at the Harris Ranch to break up the trip. Having awesome childhood memories of pit stop meals at the Harris Ranch Restaurant, and after looking at the pictures online, I thought the hotel was a sure winner.

We arrived to an empty hotel parking lot. It seems the Harris Ranch Restaurant is the cash cow here (pardon the pun) while the hotel seems to be struggling. The front desk staff was quick and friendly. They initially gave us a room in the back of the hotel with two double beds, but a quick call back to the front desk brought the one non-front desk employee (he was the door man, bell hop, etc) with a key to an alternate room. Unfortunately, the alternate room looked and smelled like it was a Marlborough smoking lounge for the past 40 years.

The hotel grounds were nice enough, the pool seemed decent and it seemed like every guest on the entire property was gathered there. The shifting wind, however, brought a very strong manure smell that made being outside completely unbearable. I'm telling you, it was really, really rough.

The saving grace was our dinner across the parking lot at the Harris Ranch Restaurant. It was as good as I remembered, and laid a good foundation for the rest of our trip.

Overall, if you need to stay in Coalinga, stay at Harris Ranch. If you can stay in the car another hour or two until the next town, do it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank UCSB_Chris
Whittier, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

Excellent rooms, the staff is very freindly and attentive. The free cookies at check in are always nice. Great pool, 3 spas, and a killer steakhouse attached make this a destination resort in my book. An oasis in the middle of no-where!

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Rockford, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

Great place - somewhere in the middle of the desert. Loved it - the gardens were great the pools, rooms and restaurant. I would love to go back for a week as we were only stopping in on our way through. Walk out rooms to spa (they have 3 so each room will be near one) Wine and gift shop great too. Will be back for extended stay soon.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

My family and I go here every year and the place is great. I love the rooms and resturant. At times the staff can be rude or scattered around the hotel. For the most part everyone is very nice. A huge attraction is the pool. Once you step outside to the pool area you realize it's huge. When you go to the hotel during the summertime, since the hotel is pretty much in the desert everyday it reaches 100-105 degrees. The pool is very relaxing. Another huge attraction is the resturant. I can tell you the prices are high and you may have to wait a while for food but service is good and I can tell you that it's worth the wait but don't plan to save money. The rooms here are very big and kept very well maintaid. Only complaint about the room is that once we booked a non-smoking room and it defenatley smelled like smoke. The people at the front desk were nice and gave us a new room right by the old one

So overall the place is very nice once you get past the smell which usually goes away in about an hour! :p :) :-) ()()
---

• Stayed August 2010
La Quinta, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

We will never stay at the Harris Ranch again. We had booked a suite. There were more mosquitos in that room than the Amazon jungle. I reported it ti the front desk and basically all they could say was: I'm very sorry... its bug season. Are you sure they are mosquitos and not gnats? I told her I know the difference. One bites and the other is annoying. One can carry the Nile virus and the other doesn't.

I ask for some bug spray or even a fly swatter. All they brought me was a folded newspaper. I stayed up most of the night flipping mosquitos with a hand towel. All I can say is:
TOTAL NIGHTMARE!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ndnrtsst
Taylorsville, Utah, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

Ok i have to be honest here the smell was terribly bad as soon as we got out of the car. But as soon as we got used to it everthing was great! The staff was good to us we arrived very early and they accomadated us and got us checked in early. The rooms were great, it had a seprate sleeping area then frontroom that had a pull out couch. We were there with a large wedding with at least over half all from out of town staying there. No one had any complaints. The pool and hot tub were clean as well. The resturant is a MUST the food was incrediable. Our favorites were the Biscuts and Gravy for breakfast and the Taco Salad for lunch. I defanitly recomend it and would stay again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coalinga
BEST WESTERN Big Country Inn
#4 of 7 in Coalinga
Royal Lodge
Royal Lodge
#3 of 7 in Coalinga

Been to Harris Ranch Inn? Share your experiences!