“In Coalinga??!! -- Who knew?!! Thank you Trip Advisor!”

The Baker House Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coalinga
The Baker House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Coalinga B&B and Inns
Los Angeles
“In Coalinga??!! -- Who knew?!! Thank you Trip Advisor!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2007

Due to a late night departure from Southern California one Thursday night, we preferred to break up our trip to the Bay Area. My family was making the trip to celebrate a dear Uncle's 100th birthday!! (This was in April 2007).

Coalinga was just about the 1/2 way point. We don't need much. An inexpensive motel is OK. But the reviews of the 2 places just off of Highway 5 really got to me. (hint: not good at all).

So I broadened my search a bit and found the Baker House Bed and Breakfast, about 10 miles from of the Freeway in the town of Coalinga. Trust me -- it's worth the small detour. While higher in price than a low $$ motel, with the full breakfast and the higher end experience, I thought this might be worth some investigation.

I was concerned that the reviews I read of this place were not too recent. I called and left a message. Mrs. Scroggins called me back the same night. I took a chance and made the reservation. While she accepts VISA and MC, she said that she doesn't use them to confirm over the phone. She feels that people are uncomfortable about that, and she just asked that we call and cancel if not coming.

We arrived close to midnight (after getting a bit lost). After some confusion about whether anyone was home, we were warmly greeted and made to feel right at home. The rooms were lovely and we had our pick. Our hostess Sue let us choose and then made up rollaway beds for our children in our room. It was an immaculate, completely kept up home with comfortable beds and a cooked to order breakfast in a quaint and nicely appointed dinining room. We had a great visit with Mrs. Scroggins and would love to come again. My kids felt like they'd had a visit to grandma's.

We shared a bathroom with another guest. All went well.

Best of all -- my young children were so awed by such a special place, they were beautifully behaved!

• Liked — The owner - Sue Scroggins! (Did I mention that the B&B is for sale?)
  • Disliked — It was just what we needed.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank CurlyQLosAngeles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Alameda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2006

This B&B is the closest to a home away from home! I found the B&B online and stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip with a colleague. We both loved it and plan to come back again when we go on future business trips to the area. The hostess is a sweet, loving, warm, gradmotherly lady who genuinely cares for her customers and has many stories to share if you are interested to know. She was very accomodating toward our needs for breakfast and even dinner, and did not charge us extra for dinner but cooked us tasty and filling meals. The first night she even made Chinese food complete with fried rice, noodles, and orange chicken in addition to salad, which was something I did not anticipate. The taste of the Chinese dishes was comparable to a decent Chinese restaurant (I am Chinese and have high standards for what I consider good Chinese food). The second night we had salmon, stuffed clams, and zucchini. It was a treat to get home cooked meals and enjoy a stay that felt like I was at home again, something I have not experienced on a business trip before.

This house, originally owned by R.C. Baker, was built in 1910 and became the property of the R.C. Baker Museum in town before it was sold and converted into a B&B in 2003 by the present owners. It was recognized as a "business of the year nominee" in the Coalinga Area Chamber of Commerce in 2006. The price of $65.90 per night, including meals, is unmatched by any other lodgings in the area in terms of quality of service, provision, and affordability. There is also free wireless Internet access, which is a plus. The inside furnishing makes this place feel cozy, homey, and inviting. There are 4 bedrooms in the 2nd floor and 2 bathrooms. The porch has a swing bench chair and other lounge chairs, which provides a quiet, nice atmosphere to reflect or relax and read. The entire house is open to lodgers. I highly recommend this as a choice of stay if you are in the Coalinga area or need an overnight accomodation off of I-5 during your long travels between Northern to Southern California.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank joyfulng
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coalinga
Harris Ranch Inn
#4 of 7 in Coalinga
Motel 6 Coalinga East
Motel 6 Coalinga East
#3 of 7 in Coalinga

Been to The Baker House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!