“Awful room, rude manageress, noisy”
Review of The George, Weldon

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Weldon
The George, Weldon
Ranked #2 of 2 Weldon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Stayed over Christmas. Room cold, crisps under the bed, broken large bed. Lighting so poor had to sit next to table light to read. No soap in bathroom or towel rail. No room cleaning on Christmas Day or Boxing Day, unable to dry towels as only small oil heater in room, bin not emptied. There was no cupboard or wardrobe, had to live out of bag. Noise outside (single glaze) window on boxing evening went on till 2am, with arguments and threats of one person going to kill someone else! No replacement milk, tea etc. Worst place ever stayed in.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank plainJain44

Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location. Very atmospheric and food great value. Drinks also great value for money. Easy to find. Staff friendly and helpful. Nice place to eat on the way home. It was a beautiful day in September.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Found the place online and booked without checking much out about it.. My mistake. First the good points:-

Clean comfy beds
Large Rooms
Plenty of parking
Nice Pub, Staff fine.
Nice flatscreen TV

Bad Points:-
Room and sink and shower in room, directly opening onto carpet. With no extractor. So we have mouldy carpet around edges of shower and a nice musty aroma. Never attempted to use it.
Stains behind chair.
Bed propped up on rough wood blocks
Floor boards so bad thought TV would fall over.
Cracks in ceiling.
Dirty Windows
Poor Lighting
Wardrobe inaccessible other had rubbish left in it.
Toilet accessed through landing (understandable this is an old building) but was so damp in there paint was peeling off badly (see pictures), it also had no extractor and broken fixtures.
Door lock very loose held on by putty and a screw?

£40 a night I know isn't a lot but I expect a lot more than this still. The place has potential and could be made into a very nice period feel guest house with a little time and effort and with new reviews would do well if this was done.

Room Tip: My sister rented another other room, and was equally disappointed.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank NCubbs
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Staying at the holiday inn wanted a quick bite to eat hotel receptionist recommended. Walked into the bar and the local men stopped and starred maybe they arent used to non locals visiting. Lady behind bar pleasant. Wanted fish pie not available, so had cod and chips, other had hunters chicken. Food freshly cooked and nice, only negtive lettuce was brown in places did not eat. Bar lady asked if food ok.

Prices goodthe two meals, a coke and appeltiser was less then £20

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We went to the restaurant for Mother's Day lunch, Nice bar but the place was cold, big fireplace and ready to light but no flames or warmth either. The landlord was rushed off his feet I thought, he was a pleasant bloke giving presents to all the mums. I thought the atmosphere as well as the temperature was a bit cool, female bar staff weren't exactly smiling and welcoming although the server was nice enough. I felt like Clint Eastwood walking into a saloon when all the drinkers stop with their drinks half way to their mouths and the piano stops midway through a tune. I am better looking than him so I couldn't see what the fuss was about. I would rate this between between average and very good, so that makes it good. We were not stopping in the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

After reading the above review I felt compelled to pass on my own experience at the George hotel. This is my fourth visit so you may gather I'm something of a fan of the area and the hotel itself. I am not a habitual reviewer, although the course of my work has seen me in many hotels over the years. Within the George you will find very helpful and courteous staff, I make it my place to repay people with the same level of respect I receive from them, I was told to simply request any service or help on my first visit, and each consecutive time, we were allowed to use the indoor standing for a company meeting (very relaxing) we had an awards day where the chef and staff took care of everything. Food was great, entertainment was excellent and we have booked the George for our next appraisal meeting.
The rooms are comfy, very clean and whilst it's not my own bed I slept without incident. The accommodation is placed far enough away from the bar that no or very little revelry is heard. You are made very welcome by the local patrons if you choose to use the entertainment facility (a huge plus not often seen in small villages!) and I just love the olde worldly character of the building.
I hope iv managed to express the non sterile hands on approach found at the George, if like me you like to spend your free time socially, you will visit again.
Sean oneil

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Seanoneil9
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We had an event in Weldon so we picked The George Inn (which is a refurbished coaching inn) as it was virtually next door to the venue. First thing to note is that their website quotes £30 for a double, we got charged £45. It is a Bed only deal as the George does not offer breakfast.

We signed in at the bar and the barman showed us to the room, seemed friendly enough. We had to pay upfront. You can park right outside the Inn or in the large car park at the rear of the establishment, crossing a little bridge over a stream to get into the pub.

You do not access the rooms via the pub but outside. The accommodation is in a seperate area of the pub, which means you can come and go as you please. It was a reasonable size room and clean although the windows could do with a clean. The room was on the ground floor, right next to the main door to the accommodation block. Anytime someone came through the door banged. The room did have a very nice large flat screen television.

The room had a Wooden floor whih was a little noisey at night. The bed a little springy and soft, neither of us got a particularly good nights sleep on. One side of the bed was push against the the wall which made it a little tricky getting in and out, especially for a call of nature in the night.

Good sized kettle and two good sized mugs with the tea making facilities but only two teabags.

It was an en-suite room with shower no bath. Plenty of hot water in the taps, but we couldn't get the shower to get more than warm. One of the hinges on the toilet seat was loose but otherwise it was okay.

The accommodation block did not seem to have a light on the outside when we came back in the dark. We were Worried about the beer garden which was near our room, but we had little noise for it or the pub.

So, with a poor nights sleep and a cold shower I'm afraid I can't really recommend the George Inn. I think it is unlikely that we will be going back.

Room Tip: We stayed in No.1 which is on the ground floor. It is near a toilet and the main door so was a litt...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Been to The George, Weldon? Share your experiences!