See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location. Very atmospheric and food great value. Drinks also great value for money. Easy to find. Staff friendly and helpful. Nice place to eat on the way home. It was a beautiful day in September.

Date of stay: September 2013
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Found the place online and booked without checking much out about it.. My mistake. First the good points:-

Clean comfy beds
Large Rooms
Plenty of parking
Nice Pub, Staff fine.
Nice flatscreen TV

Bad Points:-
Room and sink and shower in room, directly opening onto carpet. With no extractor. So we have mouldy carpet around edges of shower and a nice musty aroma. Never attempted to use it.
Stains behind chair.
Bed propped up on rough wood blocks
Floor boards so bad thought TV would fall over.
Cracks in ceiling.
Dirty Windows
Poor Lighting
Wardrobe inaccessible other had rubbish left in it.
Toilet accessed through landing (understandable this is an old building) but was so damp in there paint was peeling off badly (see pictures), it also had no extractor and broken fixtures.
Door lock very loose held on by putty and a screw?

£40 a night I know isn't a lot but I expect a lot more than this still. The place has potential and could be made into a very nice period feel guest house with a little time and effort and with new reviews would do well if this was done.

Room tip: My sister rented another other room, and was equally disappointed.
Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank NCubbs
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Staying at the holiday inn wanted a quick bite to eat hotel receptionist recommended. Walked into the bar and the local men stopped and starred maybe they arent used to non locals visiting. Lady behind bar pleasant. Wanted fish pie not available, so had cod and chips, other had hunters chicken. Food freshly cooked and nice, only negtive lettuce was brown in places did not eat. Bar lady asked if food ok.

Prices goodthe two meals, a coke and appeltiser was less then £20

Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We went to the restaurant for Mother's Day lunch, Nice bar but the place was cold, big fireplace and ready to light but no flames or warmth either. The landlord was rushed off his feet I thought, he was a pleasant bloke giving presents to all the mums. I thought the atmosphere as well as the temperature was a bit cool, female bar staff weren't exactly smiling and welcoming although the server was nice enough. I felt like Clint Eastwood walking into a saloon when all the drinkers stop with their drinks half way to their mouths and the piano stops midway through a tune. I am better looking than him so I couldn't see what the fuss was about. I would rate this between between average and very good, so that makes it good. We were not stopping in the hotel.

Date of stay: March 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

After reading the above review I felt compelled to pass on my own experience at the George hotel. This is my fourth visit so you may gather I'm something of a fan of the area and the hotel itself. I am not a habitual reviewer, although the course of my work has seen me in many hotels over the years. Within the George you will find very helpful and courteous staff, I make it my place to repay people with the same level of respect I receive from them, I was told to simply request any service or help on my first visit, and each consecutive time, we were allowed to use the indoor standing for a company meeting (very relaxing) we had an awards day where the chef and staff took care of everything. Food was great, entertainment was excellent and we have booked the George for our next appraisal meeting.
The rooms are comfy, very clean and whilst it's not my own bed I slept without incident. The accommodation is placed far enough away from the bar that no or very little revelry is heard. You are made very welcome by the local patrons if you choose to use the entertainment facility (a huge plus not often seen in small villages!) and I just love the olde worldly character of the building.
I hope iv managed to express the non sterile hands on approach found at the George, if like me you like to spend your free time socially, you will visit again.
Sean oneil