“Sierra Nevada House Investigation Nite” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sierra Nevada House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coloma
Sierra Nevada House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coloma
Atwater, California
“Sierra Nevada House Investigation Nite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

As a paranormal investigator this location was on our list of places to see. We arrived on the 26th of December and were the only guest present for the night. The room had been warmed and a note on the door instructing us on how to get into contact with the housekeeper if we had any other needs. The place was quite and cozy, just what we needed. Everything else in the hotel was closed so I can’t really rate the food or the service by the staff. All in all, the stay was pleasant and will be heading back on a future adventure. Yes, we did have some activity!

Room Tip: Room 4 is the one that’s known for some activity.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank ORBS_inv

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed at the Sierra Nevada House for one night on a little family getaway to see California's Gold Country. I was a tad worried when I saw some of the reviews but I thought this place was great (I base my overall rating on how the place performed according to my expectations). We rented two rooms (Room 1 and Room 4) and both were cozy and comfortable but a little old. The location of Sierra Nevada House is fantastic if you're going to see Sutter's Mill and pan for gold, etc. The restaurant is good (their sweet potato fries are incredible). It was very quiet for us even when the restaurant was full so I'm not sure what the bad reviews about noise were about.

My family and I would definetely stay at the Sierra Nevada House again, we loved it.

Pros:
Great location
Cool looking old botique hotel
A/C works great
Good restaurant
Quiet
Comfortable beds
Clean

Cons:
No TV or phone in the rooms so you have to walk downstairs if you need anything
Bathroom towels are small and very thin, could be better
$10 corking fee even if you're eating
WiFi didn't work for us most of the time

Other stuff to know:
There is NO cell phone service at the hotel or anywhere around it
Stairs only, this hotel is not handicapped accesible

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank FearandLoathing
Bay Area - California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

I made the reservations for a Tuesday and we were told the hotel is closed on Tuesdays, but we would still be able to stay there. When we arrived there was a note and key in the door of our room. Kind of strange, but worked out fine. We stayed in the Bordello room #3. The room is large and the beds are very comfortable. It was sort of musty in the room, but we opened the windows and the room aired out fine. The resident cat is a cutie and very friendly. We were just there for one night. The only real big issue I had was that the water never got hot, only luke warm(like the water heater had been turned way down). I am a two shower a day girl and need my water HOT! This was a bummer for me and my mom. No shower. Since the restaurant was closed, we went to the local Cafe for dinner which was ok. Strolled in the car to the bakery in the morning for breakfast. It was good.

The receipt was left on the table and we were directed to just leave the key in the room when we left. Later in the morning a gentleman called to see how everything was. I thought was nice of them to call. I advised him of the hot water issue or lack of there of. He offered to give me some sort of certificate for something. I thanked him and be advised we would not be coming back to that area any time soon. I was hoping he would offer a discount or credit on the room, but he didn't. He was very nice though. When I got home, I sent and email to them to request a credit of some sort. I just feel if you are going to pay full price $98 in this case, you should at least be able to have running hot water for your stay. Everything else was fine and better than I expected. One other note. There is a lot of road noise at this place, so if you are a light sleeper, you will here it all night. I am not a light sleeper and It woke me up a few times.

• Stayed April 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vetech63
San Jose
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

I don't usually spend my time writing these reviews on web sites since I travel a lot for business and see everything possible out there. I don't always think these reviews are the experiences I have at these establishments and wonder what it must be like to run these businesses with all types of customers and subjective reviews. My husband encouraged me to write a review on the Sierra Nevada House since we had such a wonderful time there and then I saw the last review in March and definitely wanted to voice my opinion.

We stayed in three of the rooms with three couples and all the rooms were clean, organized and comfortable. The only thing we found wrong was one of the rooms our friends were in had one window blind that didn't go up all the way but was fixed the second day we were there.

The restaurant and bar downstairs had a cozy Cheers neighborhood feel with wonderful food and great local wines we tried. The staff of the restaurant and hotel were friendly and casually professional. This is not a fancy Ritz but we don't like those places anyway. We like places that are unique and friendly.

The last review talked about a drain that backed up. I travel the world for business and have seen everything. My only requirement is how they deal with problems. Everyplace has problems and if they offer solutions that is really all you can ask. We had no problems and the managers and staff were wonderful the whole three days we were there. Everybody had a wonderful time and we're going back in the fall for a wine tasting trip.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
petaluma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

Took my kids, shower backed up on me!!!! So so nasty !!! Ac was fine, blew on our heads all night!!! Manager gave us a key to shower in the bridal (suite). Around the building.. We would have been better off in a hot tent!!!! Never, never ever again!!!! Not even for a beer!!! So unsanitary!!!! Wonder how the kitchen is????? Trust me!!!!! This is one old building that should be TORN DOWN!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank serverguy

Travellers are raving about these Coloma hotels

Sacramento
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2009

We came upon this spot accidentally as we traveled north to Nevada City. We stopped by to have lunch and ended up staying over night with dinner and live music. We read the previous review and wanted to share a positive experience with the music and accommodations. The live music is why we decided to stay the night so after a wonderful steak and seafood pasta dinner we listened to wonderful folk/blues music until 10:15pm and retired to the bar. We met some wonderful people staying that weekend for the third time who had come for the music. They mentioned that the music stops at the end of September and starts in May. We spoke to the bartender about that and she confirmed the schedule of the music although they do special events year round. We didn't have any problem with the volume or the time. We then had a great breakfast across the river at the bakery. My only criticism was that they were very busy when we were there but they handled the crowds with patience and sensitivity.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
SoCal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2009

While in Coloma for a wedding, my family stayed at the Sierra Nevada House in Coloma - which is located at a very busy corner. The bar/saloon is a good place for a snack and drink and the staff is pleasant. The guest rooms are upstairs. We had the misfortune of staying in room #4 - The Bridal Room - which was clean and simple. I first thought that we were lucky, because it is on a side not facing the busy intersection. Then evening came ..... and we noticed the outdoor music "venue" directly outside our door. The music was loud until midnight - complete with big speakers, electric guitars, drums playing for an enthusiastic audience.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RSFdowser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coloma
Historic Cary House Hotel
BEST WESTERN Golden Key
Holiday Inn Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
#2 of 7 in Auburn
Bella Vista Bed & Breakfast Inc.

Been to Sierra Nevada House? Share your experiences!