“Awesome getaway!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sierra Nevada House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coloma
Sierra Nevada House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Coloma
Sacramento
“Awesome getaway!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

This is a great place for an escape in the picteresque town of Coloma. Bar is layed back and friendly, the bartender constantly runs an eclectic collection of concert videos, and is very friendly. We were checked in right there at the bar as we sipped our drinks, how many places can do that?! The restaurant was intimate and warm with outstanding food.
We stayed in the Bordello room, which as others have mentioned, is right above the bar however the noise didn't seem to bother us. I have to say it was one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. I do have to say it would have been nice if the shower was larger but thats just a minor thing, the hot water and plumbing was perfect. The property is under new ownership, so maybe some of the issues others have mentioned have been resolved. The Sierra Nevada House is the perfect weekend getaway!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Breatheitin

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

The perfect place for a weekend of exploring the charming and historic town of Coloma. Stayed overnight in room #3, "the Bordello room" (directly above the bar) at he Sierra Nevada House and absolutely fell in love with everything, the bed and pillows were the most comfortable and the room extremely charming, "Lotus" the resident cat was cuddly and welcoming. If you are looking for just a quiet sleep you may want to bring your earplugs, as the rooms are above the bar, so there is a little bit of noise, but we were not bothered by it at all and we stayed there on a Friday night. The establishment is under new ownership and Keith the owner is fantastic, the bar is great, the restaurant's menu did not offer many vegetarian choices, but Keith mentioned that Dianna the chef could prepare something for us, and oh boy! did she ever!, she made the most delicious curry dish and pasta dish for us, they were do die for! Thank you Dianna and Keith! will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Rooms not directly above the bar are a bit quieter
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HappyLovingLife
Atwater, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

As a paranormal investigator this location was on our list of places to see. We arrived on the 26th of December and were the only guest present for the night. The room had been warmed and a note on the door instructing us on how to get into contact with the housekeeper if we had any other needs. The place was quite and cozy, just what we needed. Everything else in the hotel was closed so I can’t really rate the food or the service by the staff. All in all, the stay was pleasant and will be heading back on a future adventure. Yes, we did have some activity!

Room Tip: Room 4 is the one that’s known for some activity.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank ORBS_inv
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

We stayed at the Sierra Nevada House for one night on a little family getaway to see California's Gold Country. I was a tad worried when I saw some of the reviews but I thought this place was great (I base my overall rating on how the place performed according to my expectations). We rented two rooms (Room 1 and Room 4) and both were cozy and comfortable but a little old. The location of Sierra Nevada House is fantastic if you're going to see Sutter's Mill and pan for gold, etc. The restaurant is good (their sweet potato fries are incredible). It was very quiet for us even when the restaurant was full so I'm not sure what the bad reviews about noise were about.

My family and I would definetely stay at the Sierra Nevada House again, we loved it.

Pros:
Great location
Cool looking old botique hotel
A/C works great
Good restaurant
Quiet
Comfortable beds
Clean

Cons:
No TV or phone in the rooms so you have to walk downstairs if you need anything
Bathroom towels are small and very thin, could be better
$10 corking fee even if you're eating
WiFi didn't work for us most of the time

Other stuff to know:
There is NO cell phone service at the hotel or anywhere around it
Stairs only, this hotel is not handicapped accesible

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank FearandLoathing
Bay Area - California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2010

I made the reservations for a Tuesday and we were told the hotel is closed on Tuesdays, but we would still be able to stay there. When we arrived there was a note and key in the door of our room. Kind of strange, but worked out fine. We stayed in the Bordello room #3. The room is large and the beds are very comfortable. It was sort of musty in the room, but we opened the windows and the room aired out fine. The resident cat is a cutie and very friendly. We were just there for one night. The only real big issue I had was that the water never got hot, only luke warm(like the water heater had been turned way down). I am a two shower a day girl and need my water HOT! This was a bummer for me and my mom. No shower. Since the restaurant was closed, we went to the local Cafe for dinner which was ok. Strolled in the car to the bakery in the morning for breakfast. It was good.

The receipt was left on the table and we were directed to just leave the key in the room when we left. Later in the morning a gentleman called to see how everything was. I thought was nice of them to call. I advised him of the hot water issue or lack of there of. He offered to give me some sort of certificate for something. I thanked him and be advised we would not be coming back to that area any time soon. I was hoping he would offer a discount or credit on the room, but he didn't. He was very nice though. When I got home, I sent and email to them to request a credit of some sort. I just feel if you are going to pay full price $98 in this case, you should at least be able to have running hot water for your stay. Everything else was fine and better than I expected. One other note. There is a lot of road noise at this place, so if you are a light sleeper, you will here it all night. I am not a light sleeper and It woke me up a few times.

• Stayed April 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank vetech63
San Jose
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

I don't usually spend my time writing these reviews on web sites since I travel a lot for business and see everything possible out there. I don't always think these reviews are the experiences I have at these establishments and wonder what it must be like to run these businesses with all types of customers and subjective reviews. My husband encouraged me to write a review on the Sierra Nevada House since we had such a wonderful time there and then I saw the last review in March and definitely wanted to voice my opinion.

We stayed in three of the rooms with three couples and all the rooms were clean, organized and comfortable. The only thing we found wrong was one of the rooms our friends were in had one window blind that didn't go up all the way but was fixed the second day we were there.

The restaurant and bar downstairs had a cozy Cheers neighborhood feel with wonderful food and great local wines we tried. The staff of the restaurant and hotel were friendly and casually professional. This is not a fancy Ritz but we don't like those places anyway. We like places that are unique and friendly.

The last review talked about a drain that backed up. I travel the world for business and have seen everything. My only requirement is how they deal with problems. Everyplace has problems and if they offer solutions that is really all you can ask. We had no problems and the managers and staff were wonderful the whole three days we were there. Everybody had a wonderful time and we're going back in the fall for a wine tasting trip.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
petaluma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

Took my kids, shower backed up on me!!!! So so nasty !!! Ac was fine, blew on our heads all night!!! Manager gave us a key to shower in the bridal (suite). Around the building.. We would have been better off in a hot tent!!!! Never, never ever again!!!! Not even for a beer!!! So unsanitary!!!! Wonder how the kitchen is????? Trust me!!!!! This is one old building that should be TORN DOWN!!!!!

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank serverguy

Travellers are raving about these Coloma hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coloma
Historic Cary House Hotel
BEST WESTERN Golden Key
Holiday Inn Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
#2 of 7 in Auburn
Bella Vista Bed & Breakfast Inc.

Been to Sierra Nevada House? Share your experiences!