“Great first time Whitewater Rafting!”

Zephyr Whitewater Expeditions
Ranked #2 of 12 things to do in Columbia
More attraction details
Owner description: Zephyr Whitewater is one of the most popular and experienced outfitters in California. We offer river rafting trips near Yosemite on the Merced, Kings, and Tuolumne rivers. Family and group rates, and internet special discounts are available. Our trips range in length from 1/2 to 3-days. On the Merced river, the closest river to Yosemite, we offer both morning and afternoon 11 mile 1/2 day trips, plus full day trips every day. Many guests have said their rafting trip on the Merced river near Yosemite was the highlight of their Yosemite Vacation. Join us and see why!
Little Rock, Arkansas, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great first time Whitewater Rafting!”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Fun, well trained staff took great care of us on a recent trip down the Merced River! A beautiful trip for the whole family. We loved that we have the photos of the entire trip. Maggie was our guide and was excellent. Really sharp gal and made the trip really fun for my girls. We would do this again for sure!

Visited June 2013
2 Thank Malkat

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Wonderful trip on Merced River at Yosemite”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

we had a great experience with the debrief-the staff, the boats, the instructor-the whole show. Excellent

Visited May 2012
Orlando, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Wild & Wonderful Trip on the Tuolumne River !!!”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

During a trip with our family to Yosemite this past June, 2012, we decided to try out Zephyr Whitewater Expeditions for a whitewater adventure on the Toulumne River. I have two young boys (10 & 14) and they were a bit nervous as we drove down the rather steep canyon to where we would meet up with our guide "Mike" and our oar-boat.

Both our boys had been on whitewater adventures before but never for a full-day and never with so much whitewater. This was our first adventure on the Tuolumne River and I must say that the adventure starts out fast & early! Many rivers we have been down you end up floating through a lot of calm water. Not on the Tuolumne River! You quickly become wet so make sure you get a good wet-suit - unless the air temperature is warm. You will be wet early and if it's cold, you will be miserable for the rest of the day. This is not a trip for the faint-hearted but if you enjoy a wild ride - go for it!!!

The entire family had an awesome time. We stopped about mid-day for a well-prepared lunch. Mike our guide was absolutely incredible with the boys. He really made them feel comfortable. He let them row the boat for a while and even jump in the water a few times during a couple of the very few slow times during the trip. I don't know about the other guides but Mike was very knowledgeable and would always keep us informed as to where he was taking us on the river. After our boys had "got the hang of it", Mike took us through some of the more challenging sections of some of the rapids. He also helped us to work together on the paddling and my kids are looking forward to another whitewater adventure thanks to his ability to work with kids - thank you Mike !!!

If there is one recommendation I could make it would be to skip the Merced River and go for the Tuolumne River. You just can't find anything like it......it's a wonderful, wild and scenic whitewater adventure that your whole family would enjoy. Unless you only want a float trip - go for the Touolumne River. We will definitely be back !!!!

Visited June 2012
6 Thank TheFlyingFamily
glasgow
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“What a great day out”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We visited on July 17 and did the tuolomne on a day trip with my 2 sons. What a fantastic day, we laughed, had fun and even when the raft nearly capsized we were still laughing! Our guide, Corey, was superb and kept us together as a team without ever turning down the fun meter. The only other thing I can add is what my sons said, with whom I have a great relationship; " this is the best thing we have ever done together!"

Visited July 2012
1 Thank juliantaylor
Brighton, Michigan
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Great day on the Tuolumne!”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Booked far in advance...had tight vacation schedule, and company was willing to add an all day start date for the day I needed for my family of 4. Requested Alitia (as heard she was most experienced guide) and she was great. Lunch was very good, and rapids were fun (never felt unsafe & all guides seemed good). Only negative was we were there at requested time, few in group came late, and organizers weren't expecting a colder day (requiring wetsuits) so we had to take a short trip to pick up extra suits. I can understand, tho, the request for arriving early so as to have time for things such as this...just would have been nice to have an extra 1/2 hour of sleep ;). Glad I had the foresight to book this dam-released trip, as the Merced was not even running due to low snow pack this year. Not cheap, but whole family enjoyed :)

Visited June 2012