“Lovely Hotel ruined by the casino”

Crowne Plaza Los Angeles - Commerce Casino
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Commerce
Reviewed 27 May 2009

We stayed in an executive room on the 8th Floor and the room and breakfast were very good.

The rooms were comfortable, the reception staff were helpful and the decor around the foyer was very nice.

However, this hotel is situated as part of a casino complex and whilst we expected some gambling there were tables everywhere thatthey could fit them.

The no smoking policy makes the stressed out gamblng clients go outside and this meant there wass little room to get past on the pavement (sidewalks) without strolling through the fog.

The Car park for guests wishing to self park is HUGE but very busy during the evenings so unless you use Valet parking (or are disabled) you will park about 1/4 miles away.

All round if your a gambler then I imagine it's very good, if your a traveller / sightseer then keep looking. - Holiday Inn Buena park isn't too far and much more touristy !

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Jon C

Reviewed 16 August 2008

The hotel looked nice, but the service was horrible. You could not find a Valet anywhere. It would have been a miracle to find a housekeeper who spoke (or understood) English. The front desk staff clearly did not know how to handle basic elements of their job, and their manager Alejandra's lack of customer service skills left a lot to be desired. Go to Motel 6 and save your money! Certainly not up to Crowne Plaza standards.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 18 March 2008

My bf is a good poker player and I always make sure that there's a casino in our travel adventure. Anyways, we arrived in Santa Ana and decided to drive to LA to check the casino. The casino is no Vegas nor AC. However, it's pretty good if you're a serious player. You can order food and eat it by the table. We stayed at this hotel and got a poker room rate. The room is quite big,is clean, have a microwave and over-price mini bar (just like all hotels). They have a sleep kit which consist of an eye mask, ear plugs, sleep cd and lavender mist ( a unique amenity from most of the hotel I stayed). Dont bother by the view because there was none. Free internet, Maxwell house coffee and the bed is soft yet firm. The staff is helpful and the housekeeping is fast in their service. Small lobby. There is a spa on the 5th floor. The price is not that bad. Will do a separate review. I like hotels who take their time to look for good brand toiletries. They have a brand. Will stay here again if my bf will just play poker.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank herleiness
Reviewed 10 December 2007

Crowne Plaza Brand has very good rooms and this is not the exception. I really liked so much this room.

But to the honest there are some comments on thinks that I don't like on this hotel

1.- If you are not renting a car, this place is in the middle of nothing and you won't have many things to do around, but getting bored if you don't like to play in Casinos. So you will have to pay many to the taxi drivers if you want to go somewhere else.

2.- It is located to a walking distance to an Outlet Mall, but if you have been into very big Outlets, this Outlet in Commerce won't impress you much and in 40 minutes you'll be done.

3.- But let's talk about the service of the hotel, the room service people is extremelly efficient and friendly, they cook nice dishes.

4.- But more bad news, when my shuttle left me in the entrance of the hotel, NOBODY was available to help me with my lugagge. I was coming back from a trip from China, and I had many pieces with me, I had to carry by myself 5 pieces to the lobby.

5.- The personal on the lobby was friendly but totally lost. They first told me "Sorry no reservation under your name" and after a long search, they finally found me. The day after I asked them to ask a Taxi for me, so I can go to Downtown, I waited for 45 minutes untill finally my taxi arrived.

There are many hotels in Los Angeles, I only recomend you to stay here if it is a must for you to stay in this neighbourhood or you will stay in the Casino the whole day. Otherwise forget about this hotel.

Stayed: October 2006
2  Thank tecouag
Reviewed 22 July 2007

This stay was about what I expected. I was impressed with the grounds and fountains as I pulled up and valeted my car. I checked in at 9:30 pm, but they said a room wouldn't be ready until 10:00PM! The staff was courteous and apologetic and gave me access to the club floor for free breakfast, but I'm not too sure why rooms were not available at that time of night. The breakfast was horrible, with little selection and despite the staff presence, I had to dig around the communal mini fridge for the uncovered milk from the day before. The canned fruit and pastries were straight from the Food-4-Less. DO NOT PAY EXTRA FOR THE CLUB ROOMS, as the breakfast is the only "benefit."
The lobby was well decorated and relatively clean, considering the proximity to the "culturally diverse mecca" of Los Angeles (5 miles). The room was small, but comfortable. The windows are soundproof, being less than 500 ft. from I-5. Signs in the room stated "If you smoke, you pay a $200 cleaning fee!" and "If you touch anything in the mini-bar, you buy it!" Quite accusatory!
Also, remember, this is a CA casino, not NV. There are cards only and with a ridiculous rake, its not even worth playing for amateurs.
Pros: Pool/jacuzzi, mostly polite staff
Cons: Food, checkin, checkout, surrounding area, clientele, ambiance

The $139 rate was reasonable, but I will not stay here again.
I can only reccommend this place for professional poker players and the budget-savy business travelers.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
6  Thank boi123
Reviewed 13 June 2007

Gambling in LA was a let down after Vegas. We went here to try out accomodation and the casino.

The room was small and the view outside un-inspiring unless you are an industrialist who loves the look of american factories and warehouses.

The food was terrible.

The casino was poor. The atmosphere was non-existant and had the pizazz of a highly lit bus shelter. THe patrons looked like they were waiting for a bus too...the game selctions were below average and there are no pokies. Big plus though for the non-smoking venue!

Go there if you are a salesman on a small budget and need something "non-LA" otherwise choose a bus shelter.

• Stayed: May 2007
2  Thank SteveAucklandNZ
Reviewed 9 June 2007

We checked into this hotel there was nowhere to self park, supposedly there was valet parking but there was no valets to be found, and the desk was almost impossible to find. There were casino gamblers everywhere and the hotel section was almost impossible to find. We went to use a pay phone to make a reservation at a nearby hotel and then were harrassed by not one, not two, but about six different security officers because we were dressed in shorts and t-shirts (it is the middle of summer and we were only there to stay in the hotel). I wouldn't recommend this property to my worst enemy! Find somewhere else to stay, don't waste your time or money.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank ticketshack
Also consider these accommodations in or near Commerce
Westside
Crowne Plaza Los Angeles International Airport Hotel
Downtown
Omni Los Angeles at California Plaza
The Bicycle Hotel & Casino
#1 of 3 in Bell Gardens
The Westin Los Angeles Airport
#54 of 354 in Los Angeles

Been to Crowne Plaza Los Angeles - Commerce Casino? Share your experiences!