“Hated it”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Compton
Garden Grove
“Hated it”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I noticed that most people are reviewing the Casino part and not the actual hotel stay so let me tell you how my stay was here.
Sadly I had to stay here out of desperation on 7/30/14. I lost my home a few weeks ago and have been living in my car with my 5 year old because shelters wont help me because I have a small, low paying job. UGH! So I happened upon a $59 Expedia deal for one night and I really needed the rest. I grew up in lower middle class so going to Compton wasn’t something I wanted to do but had to.
From the looks of this place it looked closed and falling apart. I took a ramp down and that’s where all the crazy drivers fighting for parking spots. I looked for one close to see if there was a handicap stall available and it wasn’t. I tried to drive around to the other side of the hotel but it looked like employee parking and there was no exit. There was weeds and grass growing up from the cracks in the concrete. Nothing on the outside had been maintained. The building looked like it was about to fall apart but there was a sign that said opened during renovation, but there was no renovation being done. We ended up parking alongside a brick wall near a Metro link and train connection.
Outside the casino were people dressed in PJ’s or clothes that didn’t really matter. Most were smoking. I could appreciate them not smoking inside. Once inside half of one wall was taped up with what looked like black garbage bags. I went to the front desk. One of the security guards had a foul mouth, call me old fashion but cursing around women and children disgusts me. The guy behind the counter didn’t have on a name tag and was wearing a pink shirt and tan pants. I told him I would like to check in and he asked my name. He then told me that he needed an additional $100 to hold until I left. I told him that’s not what I paid for and I already paid the $59 on my credit card. He tried to explain to me that I paid Expedia and not the hotel, WHAT!!! So after debating with him, him telling me oh Expedia should have told me, he finally says give me $60 and your ID and you will get it back in the morning. WTH!!! I was desperate for shelter and exhausted and so was my son. I told him that I would be leaving at 5am in the morning and asked if that was a problem and asked if there would be someone here for me to check out and get my money and ID back. He goes on to explain that breakfast is at 7 and the swimming pool opens at 10, I said that was fine but I’m leaving at 5am.
Once upstairs I see the ice machine and soda vending machine. Everything seems pretty quiet and pretty vacant. I looked around for security cameras in the elevator and hallways but I didn’t see any. I didn’t feel very safe. I entered room 703 and I was hit with a smell of FUNK and Cigarette Smoke, yuck. The room was stale. I turned on the vent and a/c, checked the TV and bathroom to see if it was clean. It was acceptable from the look of things. Now I’m about 5’11” tall and everything was far too low to the ground. I worked in Japan for a year and I’m use to things being made for shorter people and that’s what I got. The bed was low, the counters were low, the chairs all low. Me having 3 herniated discs in my back made things painful. I washed up and flicked on the TV to see if they had any shows, nope. Channel 5 was a Spanish channel, strange because I like KTLA. The stations didn’t go up very far and once past basic it was just the Disney channel, TBS, and then Chinese channels mostly. Sadly I was only given 1 pillow and 1 decorative pillow. The pillow you sleep on had cotton on one side and beads on the other side. It’s like they took old pillows and added beads to them to make them larger. Weird! I noticed outside the trains but not to be alarmed you can only hear the sound of the whistle faintly so it doesn’t really disturb anyone.
I was awoken around midnight to the sound of laughter and talking coming from the next room. Yeah the walls are that thin. They remained the chatter until around 3am when they finally fell asleep. I had to get up at 4:30am to give my son a shower, freshen up and get ready for work and school.
I get downstairs exactly at 5am and there was no one at the front desk. The security guard said that they went upstairs to use the bathroom. WTH!! So I waited until 5:20am for someone to show up. The lady sees me there and she walks slowly without any urgency to help me. I said I need to check out and she asks if they have my deposit. She then goes to look for my envelope with my money and ID in it. Then she asks for the deposit slip, WTH!! Glad I kept it in my purse or I would have to go back upstairs to get it. It’s just a printed piece of paper like a receipt, not a deposit slip.
I finally leave and made it to my car. My car had a man on a motorcycle sitting near it and two Hispanic guys smoking. I rush to get in and drive off.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Janay J
Ping D, Director of Sales at LA Crystal Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2015
Dear Guest

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you many have experienced in respect to your issues. At LA Crystal Hotel, we take pride in ensuring our customer's satisfaction, and we have taken steps to ensure that this will never happen again. To express our deeply regrets for your experience, we would like to compensate for your loss this moment. Please contact to assistant.marketing@outlook.com to receive your compensate.
We deeply value your relationship with LA Crystal Hotel and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service

Best Regard,
Marketing & Sales Dept.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My son and I were looking for a cheap place to stay on our visit to Los Angeles. Though the price of the room at the Crystal Hotel was less than half of some of the options we considered, we were still hesitant to book there because of the location in Compton. However, we decided to try it anyways and we are glad that we did. Entering the hotel you come directly into the casino which was packed, mostly with what I can only assume were Asian tourists. Many of the signs and papers were in Chinese. Though the desk staff wasn't as friendly as they could have been, we had no problem checking in and getting our room. We stayed on the 8th floor which had a good view to the west towards Long Beach. The decor in the room was older, but the towels and linens were brand new and very nice. All in all, we feel that we received a very good value for the money. It was almost like getting a China vacation without ever leaving the states!

Room Tip: Poor signage for check-in but you can unload your luggage at the front door because parking is kind...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 7suzi7
Ping D, Director of Sales at LA Crystal Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2015
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comment regarding your stay at our LA Crystal Hotel. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would be happy to welcome you back again to join our loyalty group according to our feedback.

Thank you!

Your LA Crystal Hotel family on behalf of the Marketing & Sales Team
Puerto Rico
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed here last weekend on Wednesday the day i checked in the lady in the front desk was acting like she did not speak english i was so mad. The next morning i came down stairs and told the young lady who does speak english what was going on and she apologized for the staffs being rude she was really helpful and very nice she showed me to the breakfast area and the guy there was rude again so i went back to the front desk and told the girl and she said she was going to tell the boss to speak to him. Im hoping she did because im planing to go there again and i hope i dont get treated the same way. Overall the room was nice and i like it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CHIII789

Thank you!

Your LA Crystal Hotel family on behalf of the Marketing & Sales Team
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Compton is a fine city and I feel like the hotel and casino was suppose to bring a positive light to its existence. I assure you that my stay was after the doors opened 7 years prior but I feel like the rooms was far due for up grades. The bed was worn, the shower and bath sink was germy and mildewish...the carpet dirty, the ceilings looked like beer or soda was splashed on it. Stiffling lingering aroma of "smokables". Gosh I hate saying things like this cause you always get asked the obvious questions, "Why did you stay?" Because its really the only hotel in Compton! This one needs a serious upgrade and I would consider a return visit because I do love Compton!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LolaSkye

Best Regard,
Marketing & Sales Dept.

Travellers are raving about these Compton hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Compton
Motel 6 Carson
Hampton Inn Los Angeles / Carson / Torrance
Americas Best Value Inn South Gate
Econo Lodge Near Stub Hub Center
Studio Inn And Suites

Been to LA Crystal Hotel? Share your experiences!