“Strike two”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Concord
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed here when they first became a Clarion and I expected (and encountered) some problems. Now, years later there was one major bump in that several of us had to wait until 4:30 for check in due we were told, to a lack of clean towels. Not the end of the world, but waiting an hour and a half in the lobby seemed unnecessary.
Much worse was the room itself. Rooms number 120 to 136 (and presumably 220-236) are outside hallways much like any motel and have walkways made of pebble-concrete. The housekeeping and laundry carts in the morning sounded like locomotives outside the door. Those rooms are also subject to very loud jet noise from the community airport across the street. Not good if you didn't get to sleep until 2 AM. Avoid those rooms at all costs.

Room Tip: Demand an inside room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MrWayne

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I would be complaining if I paid the full Clarion (130) price but I got it for half price on Priceline. It was actually 10 bucks a night cheaper than the motel 6 in Concord or Walnut Creek! I'm traveling one week for business on this trip so I went as inexpensive as possible. I took a chance and bid 65 a night on Priceline and won. This is the first positive item to review- it was cheap, Yeah! (and a whole lot better than the average motel 6.) I would stay here again for this price, but not for the
clarion price.

The next positive was cleanliness. My room was very clean. This includes the bathroom, bedding, furniture, floor, coffee machine, towels. Even the AC unit was clean. I gave my housekeepers extra tips because I was so thankful to have such a clean environment to stay in for a week. The housekeepers were very nice.

The third positive is safety. I travel alone and felt very safe here all the time. I stayed in what they call the "tower". The entrance to my room is inside a hallway. Parking is well lit, even in the back of the hotel. The door has dead bolt and that little thing that flips over the door jam.

Fourth positive is comfort. The bed was very comfortable, the pillow and bedding were comfortable. Even the chair had an ottoman and it was comfortable. Plenty of close parking. I slept well and it was a quiet environment in the "tower".

The negatives: Yes, like other reviewers state, the desk clerks are very unfriendly. The young Asian woman was very inattentive, making guests wait for 5-10 minutes with no greetings. She just goes about her business with a lobby full of guests waiting to be served. They do not allow early check in, not even one minute early. This hotel has many conference rooms on the first floor. Because of this, the first floor in the "tower" looks much worse than the other floors. The carpets are stained, and everything on the first floor appears more worn than the other floors. There are several church groups there on Sunday. I'm not sure where they parked because I always had plenty of parking. No free breakfast, it cost 5 bucks for scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, potatoes, danish, bagels, gross juice, cereal, milk, coffee, tea. I ate it once because, hey, it's 5 bucks. I did not eat it again. The servers were very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for the 'tower' if you want your room entrance inside a hallway. The other rooms have t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank emomshart
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I attended the couple for Christ Convention and we were given a room in the outer building which were not told that the hotel has two buildings. When asked at check-in the difference between the two buildings, the Front Desk manager informed us that they are very similar and that one is just an outside building with easy access and rooms are very much the same. At the same time, we over heard a side conversation with a front desk agent explaining to a new hire something about certain part of the hotel is labeled as "red light district" with rooms facing the side parking lot????. When we arrived to the room, it smelled musty, the room had smoke odor which my husband is highly allergic plus the toilet did not flush. I tried calling down to the Front Desk but there was no dial tone. I walked to the Front Desk late in the evening and I was told that some rooms have non working phones and told me if I wanted to switch into the main building but had to pay an upgrade fee of $50.00 I told the agent that I should not have to pay extra because the room should not have been rented in the first place plus it is a major liability as phone does not work . There was no apology but just a straight stair across the desk. I asked to speak with Manager on Duty and was told that she had left for the day but I could speak to the owner. I told the Front Desk agent that's great as most owner(s) don't stay on hotel property. I was given the name of Mr. Surrinder Gill or Mr. Sunny Gill. I came to the Front Desk next morning to speak with the owner and the Front Desk told me that he was having breakfast in the restaurant. When I arrived to the restaurant, I was greeted by the a woman and asked if Mr. Surrinder Gill is having breakfast here, she seated my family and pointed to his direction. After our breakfast, we ran into the owner and voiced out our concern at the desk. He told us that he was not the owner and that he was just visiting from Canada. I told him that the Front Desk had given us the information and now everyone is washing their hands. I then asked the Front Desk to move us to another room and she moved us to the room on the first floor (outer) building facing the side parking lot. In the evening, my husband went to get ice and the machines are not working with the exception to the upper floor. He used the stairways and some yound woman approached him if he wanted service. My husband thought she was the hotel employee but she turns out to be a prostitute. She told my husband that she has several girls working on the first floor and rates are reasonable. My husband went immediately to the Front Desk to complain and was told that there was nothing they can do as they are paying guests. I told the Front Desk if they called that area a "red light district" and she just smile as if this is a normal daily activity. My overall experience can not really described any more in words but disgusted with how this operation is being run as if no one cares about product quality and real customer service. At check-out, I told the lady about my experience to give the hotel one more chance for service recovery but none was given. I paid over $250.00 for my stay as I should get back full refund. She did tell me that everyone here is new and advise me to file a complain with Choice Corporate. I will not stay at this location anymore but will try other Choice Hotels around the country.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mike B
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We reserved a room with two beds for four people. When we arrived they gave us a single queen bed. Said the hotel was full and they couldn't give us another room. Only offered extra blankets and pillows instead so we could sleep on the floor. Pillows showed up with no pillowcases. Soon discovered the toilet didn't flush, and the phone was broken so we couldn't call the front desk. Avoid this place!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Yosemgirl
Reviewed 6 June 2014

The 'closet' was a hanging rack next to the TV. The room wasn't very nice and the service wasn't good. I noticed they had a sign that the breakfast is now $5.50. We didn't try it. It was just a little less than an ok place.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2014

we stayed at this dreary place for 2 nights. it is right off the freeway & central to where we needed to be. after reading the other reviews I see we stayed in the old part next to 680.
awful smell to the room & still don't know <or want to know> what the stain on the floor is.
the staff were all friendly & helpful. we didn't eat the $6 breakfast, it looked like the standard steam table hotel fare. there are many good resturants near by. hey, Denny's is just down the road. will not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Your customer service was very poor. Noticed that most employee did not do good to guest during their interaction. There was no smile or greetings to the guest. Most of our members who attended the events (Couples for Christ) which was approximately 250 guest have the same issues. and every time we address a problem especially the front desk he or she will not own the problem and instead will let us do or resolve the issues. In others words no help we can get from them only by giving us the telephone no to call.

I would recommend that your employees must under go a Customer Service seminar and improve your customer service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ed V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concord
Crowne Plaza Concord
Crowne Plaza Concord
#4 of 8 in Concord
Best Western Plus Heritage Inn
Hilton Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 8 in Concord
Extended Stay America - Pleasant Hill - Buskirk Ave.
Pleasant Hill Inn
Pleasant Hill Inn
#4 of 6 in Pleasant Hill
HYATT house Pleasant Hill
HYATT house Pleasant Hill
#1 of 6 in Pleasant Hill

Been to Clarion Hotel? Share your experiences!