“Pleasant surprise”

Crowne Plaza Concord
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Concord
Hammond, La.
Reviewed 15 October 2005

After learning we were staying at this hotel I read previous reviews and was not looking forward to the stay. However, I found everything really great!! Room was very nice size and nice amenities. Staff was pleasant from the first minute on. I did not experience any of the "dirt" that others had written about. I'd go back in a minute.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 24 August 2005

Had high expectations for this hotel when I heard it became a Crowne Plaza, but it appears that not much has been done here besides the name change. The beds and bedding are new, but they don't hide how dirty this place is. I couldn't believe they went to the trouble to get new beds and covers and nobody thought to clean the carpets first. This was one of the dirtiest Crowne Plazas I have ever stayed in.

I thought for sure that Crowne Plaza would upgrade this place and maybe they eventually will, but this place needs a major redo from the ground up. I don't want to stay anywhere that I can't walk around my room barefoot without my feet being dirty when I get into the bed.

I had to wait almost an hour for room service to deliver coffee and ice cold toast and have them forget to bring the skim milk I requested for the coffee. I also don't want the delivery person to have an attitude about going back to get me what room service forgot to send me the first time.

Didn't get to check out much else in this hotel as I only stayed for one night, which was long enough for me. Front desk clerk was not particularly nice when I checked out. When I mentioned in passing that I hoped they would get around to cleaning the carpets soon he actually got a bit hostile.

Staff in general doesn't seem happy here. They also don't seem particularly gracious about fixing problems like my room service order and apparently aren't interested in guest comments either. Someone needs to tell them they are working in a service industry. A hotel with an unattentive and disinterested staff isn't a hotel I want to stay at.

After this unwelcoming stay, I won't be coming back. I'd rather stay at another hotel where the staff and the hotel make you feel you are welcome. What a big disappointment this hotel turned out to be. If the staff just had a nicer attitude that would help make up for a few of the shortcomings of the hotel (but not the dirty carpets). Their attitude unfortunately just adds insult to injury.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled on business
6  Thank thetravelgoddess
Denver, CO
Reviewed 10 July 2005

I was very dissapointed with the Crowne Plaza Concord after my travel agent accidently booked this hotel instead of my preferred hotel right down the street. The front desk agent told me that they could not find my reservation and then wanted to charge me a higher rate since they only had a limited number of Crowne Plaza rooms. Well since I did not want to pay a higher rate than the $152 my Travel Agent booked it at., I received a hotel room that was in serious need of a deep cleaning. The air smelled of mildew, toilet not flushing properly, and the Air Conditioner putting out warm air. I had to even pay for the High Speed Internet that barely worked. I complained about paying for a service that did not work and the rude man at the front desk said that they get people like me asking for money back all the time. I walked away from this hotel knowing that I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled on business
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cupertino, CA
Reviewed 9 July 2005

Because I travel alot on business I like to try different hotels in the Concord area. The Crowne Plaza was offering a good hotel rate at the time so I thought that I would try it. I can honestly say that I felt robbed by the quality and service that I received. The front desk fumbled around with my check-in. The restaurant served my dinner to me luke warm and my eating utensil was unclean. The carpets were stained, the bathroom floor had not been mopped, and someone had left their dirty clothes in a dresser drawer. Comfort is always a plus and the mattress in the room was anything but that. And to top off the stay, I did not receive the wake-up call that I had asked for making me the last attendee to a morning meeting. Let down............

Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Concord, CA
Reviewed 8 June 2005

This hotel is very nice. I attended a wedding there in May and the Crowne Plaza did a great job. Our room was very comfortable. Beautiful furniture (love the sleigh bed) and everything else in the room was tasteful. The food was great at the reception and the service was very good. Someone even offered to carry my present in for me as I was entering the room and I noticed it displayed on the gift table. I like how the doors in the Ballroom open to the outside areas. I really like the hotel and think it has a nice feel to it. Comfortable, good lighting, nice ambiance. I would definitely return to this hotel the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed: May 2005
Napa, California
Reviewed 2 June 2005

Wow, what a difference a name makes! I've stayed at this hotel before and now that this is the Crowne Plaza, it is on its way to being a destination facility. The room that I stayed in had been upgraded to the Crowne Plaza bedroom. I have stayed in plenty of hotels which had uncomfortable bedding, poor housekeeping, broken or missing amenities, thin window shades, noisy walls, unsuitable bathrooms. None of those applied to this room. With a large TV, one of the most comfortable beds that I have ever stayed in (wanted to take it home actually), very nice chairs, light blocking window shades with a special clip to hold them together (nice touch), very nice bath with special curved shower rod for extra room in the shower and an especially quiet air conditioner made the room stay quite enjoyable. The atrium is a really nice touch and was made even more so by the surprisingly good food served in the restaurant. I did not expect that. It was good enough that I ordered room service for my second night. The hotel is certainly a different place since the last time I stayed.

• Stayed: May 2005, travelled on business
Castaic, California
Reviewed 25 February 2005

Bad, bad, bad! The rooms and hallways are filthy -- not merely in need of refurbishing, but completely unacquainted with soap and water. Even my room telephone was a toxic waste site. Checked in 6 pm, found a room service tray with the remains of somebody's breakfast cereal outside the neighboring hotel room door, and it was STILL there when I left for work the next morning. SDSN Internet Access doesn't even pretend to work (no lights on the box when you plug it in to any outlet in the room.) Went to the hotel fitness center to use the treadmill, and was thrown into the plate glass window like a bird into a skyscraper when the malfunctioning treadmill suddenly sped up from its stuttering crawl. None of the other three pieces of fitness equipment were working, either, and no wonder: all of the equipment was made for home use only, not commercial use. The exterior signage on this hotel is covered by a huge piece of fabric, and no wonder: if I owned this dump, I'd hide my name, too! Two words: state campground!

• Stayed: January 2005, travelled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 6 in Pleasant Hill
Walnut Creek Marriott
Walnut Creek Marriott
#1 of 7 in Walnut Creek

Been to Crowne Plaza Concord? Share your experiences!