“Disappointed”

Crowne Plaza Concord
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Concord
Reviewed 15 July 2007

I travel almost every week for business. I must stay that I am very disappointed in this hotel. I am a Priority Club member and always stay at hotels in the Holiday Inn family.

I'd made my reservation at least 1 month in advance--upon check-in, discovered that my reservation had been cancelled! I was not there on my scheduled arrival date because of illness but DID call and let them know to hold the room. I did end up getting a room but the who thing got up started out on the wrong foot.

I am a Platinum Priority Club member, and in most hotels am told what the particular perks I will have during my stay as a member. At this hotel, nothing was told to me.

The room was average--I've definitely been more comfortable than I was here. I'm not sure they have a good handle on housekeeping though--the couple of issues I had in this area; not replacing all of the towels I used--for instance I used 1 wash cloth and even though there were 2 more, expected that 3rd one to be replaced with a clean one--also didn't replace the shampoo, conditioner, etc after I used them all. The most frustrating was over the weekdn. I left early--around 8 am, came back around 1 pm and my room still had not been serviced. I left again (as I don't like to be in the room as they are cleaning), came back around 3 and still no service! I really wanted to relax in my room undistrubed so this was extremly frustrating! At that point I called the front desk and they said they'd send someone right away. I left again, came back about 4:30 and she had just gotten there! I don't get that but that bothered me quite a bit.

The food was good--wasn't THAT impressed with the prime rib--I've had better. Their breakfast buffet is good as is the Sunday brunch.

I have internet access in my room but needed to use the business center to create a document that I needed to print. Almost $6 for 15 minutes AND on top of that, .98 per page to print! I think that's ridiculous and if nothing else, as a Priority Club member, that service should be free!

Overall, this hotel is ok but if they are going to charge hight rates, they need to deliver. Depending on how much you travel and what your expectations are, this may be a great place for you but I don't think I"d stay here again. I didn't realize until after I got here that there is a Holiday Inn a few blocks away--I probably would have been happier there.

I'm from the midwest and most of my travel is there also and I have noticed when coming out west, the definition of "service" seems to be so different.

Sorry so long but thanks for letting me vent!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank renae60

Reviewed 2 June 2007

My wife and I stayed two nights 6/1 and 6/2. You could tell the hotel was a little older but had gone through a major rehab and was in very good condition. Lobby was very attractive and enclosed atrium/pool area also nice.
Room was very pleasent (typical of what you now find at nice hotels). High class bedding etc. Good chair and desk. Our room was quite and met our needs. It was not that full based on limited folks we saw around but did see it gets a lot of use for retirement parties wedding etc. Free parking. Coffee in the room (no refrigerator). They did have a free relaxation cd to listen to.

The air conditioning did not regulate well, which bothered my wife.

We ate the breakfast buffet it’s nothing special. It was a good deal via Hotwire

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2007

I was in town before the holidays and I had the most relaxing time. The Tropical atrium is so soothing. They acrually have a coy pond!
They have these great packages for the guests that you can keep. They It comes with a night light, an eye mask, and even a FREE CD that helps you fall asleep! And trust me, it works.
If you're looking for a relaxing weekend or even on a business trip, this is the place to go.
And the people are so friendly!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ledzepfan0021
Reviewed 20 October 2006

I booked on Hotwire, so I don't know if I would have had a better room if I'd paid the full rate. The woman at the front desk was polite but uninterested. She clearly saw that I had hauled my luggage into the lobby from my car. But she then told me that to get to my room, I had to return to my car and drive around the side to get to my building. So, I hauled my bags back out and drove around. When I found my room, I realized immediately that it was just steps from the lobby, and I could easily have gotten there on foot. The room was nice--good size, clean but not quite as updated as I hoped it would be. The bathroom functioned just fine but was small. There is no thermostat for the air conditioning--it was the old-fashioned kind with hi fan/low fan, etc. and was a bit noisy. I took my ice container and went in search of an ice machine. There were two: one on each floor, and neither one worked. I went to the lobby, where there was a Starbuck's kiosk that was closed, but there was a man standing there, and he was nice enough to go to the kitchen to get me some ice. Then I tried to connect to the internet (which was free--definitely a plus). The instructions in the room said that there would be a USB or an Ethernet cable in a bag in the closet--nope. So I called the front desk, and the man came fairly quickly. He was downright surly, though, and practically threw the cable at me. Because I paid $109 through Hotwire, I felt that I got what I paid for. If I had paid full price, I'd have been upset by both the condition of the hotel and the attitude of the employees.This hotel bills itself as a 4-star hotel, but my experience was 3-star at best. I'll look for another hotel the next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
2  Thank PGdenizen
Reviewed 21 August 2006

The hotel is going through some room renovation but a stay in one of the renovated rooms if worth overlooking the re-construction. We purchased our room from Hotwire for $62 and I can’t say how pleased we were with our room. We had a king bed and the room appeared to have been renovated recently with new carpeting and furniture and a bed to die for. The sleigh bed had the most comfortable mattress we’ve slept on in a hotel in a long while and the bed seemed huge. Nice duet cover (white) and decorative European style pillows. Room is decorated in browns with blue accents.

The Crown Plaza has this sleep incentive with CD, curtain clip & pillow top mattress to enhance your night’s sleep. The bath and vanity have new black granite counters. The tub area hasn’t been renovated and had little bits of mildew around the caulking but nothing I couldn’t live with. Great size room and 2 comfortable upholstered chairs one with a foot cushion. We were directly beside the small private airstrip there but noise was not a problem during our Saturday night stay. We would be back.

We didn’t eat in the restaurant but nighttime entertainment was also available. The reception area was nicely decorated and appropriate for a 3 star hotel. Our only complaint was it was difficult to find the outside door to the building of our room on the side of the hotel. Due to the construction area in some areas being blocked off but since we arrived after dark that was probably the cause and had no problem in the morning locating the proper exit. The housekeeping staff where friendly and helpful during our check-out.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2006

$189/night on Thursday, then $89 for the weekend? What makes the room worth so much more on Thursday? This is a nice, clean, "cookie cutter" hotel....nothing glaringly wrong, just not worth $189. The location is fine, but not really what I'd call "prime". It offers all the amentities one really needs- restaurant, pool, room service, fridge, etc- just like a competitor- Holiday Inn, Best Western, etc. It is not a "Ritz" however and the prices seem to get up "there" mid-week. I would stay in this hotel again for sure on the weekend rates!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2006

wow, where do we start? took us 45 minutes to check in because the night clerk was asleep in the back office (fearing they'd been robbed and someone was back there bleeding to death, i crawled over the counter and found him asleep in a back room. yeah, that happened.)

we chose this particular hotel because we had to have the net access for business. the first morning we went to the front desk in a state of panic because we had no internet access in the room and the phones in the room didn't allow us to call out. we were told to call the 1-800 help line, which was tough, because our phones didn't call out.

a young woman working at the front desk said she would help me on an unrelated issue, then, a few minutes later, she announced to her co-workers that she was clocking out. i stood there for a few more minutes, unsure if i'd heard her correctly, before asking her co-worker if she was coming back (answer: no.)

after voicing more concerns about needing the internet access, mgmt. sent a maintenance man to our room. he was there for maybe an hour when we needed to leave. when we returned, he was gone, no note or other correspondance, and we still didn't have internet or phones. in response to this, they offered to move us to one of the unrefurbished rooms, which didn't have internet or working phones.

on our last day there we didn't receive our wake-up call, which i'd requested in person. after being woken up by housekeeping more than an hour after the official check-out time and five hours after our requested wake-up time, i went to the front desk with their brochure which clearly stated that if you didn't get your wake-up call, your stay was free. based on the advertising, this seemed to be a big foundation of their reliable service marketing angle.

we were told this guarantee only applied to guests who booked directly from them, not hotwire or priceline or such. when i pointed out that the brochure said no such thing, various mgmt types passed me around with surly looks until i confronted the assistant mgr., who said the general mgr. was not there but would call me. the call, shockingly, never came. how dare we try to save money on a room?

did i mention that the hot tub was out of service, and the pool was closed for "contamination"?

In fairness: one woman at the front desk really wanted to help us, but seemed unable to do more than offer free movies and complimentary breakfasts...she didn't help our situation, but the gesture was there. also, i completely forgave the teenager who was working the night we checked in. at his age, i was just as big a minimum-wage goof, and in my adolescent cluelessness, probably did a lot more damage than making a couple folks wait to go to bed. also, the lobby/atrium was very nice.

everything else, including management's condescending attitude, was so bad it almost came full circle into becoming great comedy. almost.

• Stayed: January 2006, travelled on business
8  Thank BeachPolarBear
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concord
Hilton Concord
#1 of 6 in Pleasant Hill
Courtyard Pleasant Hill
Courtyard Pleasant Hill
#3 of 6 in Pleasant Hill

Been to Crowne Plaza Concord? Share your experiences!