Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning
US$89
US$51
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewswarm cinnamon rollsfront desklate night stopred bluffyogurtmorning staffnice poolnice breakfasttessrepsfreewaycaliforniacorridor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We had a suite on the second floor. We were very please. We have a chocolate lab and he is very pickie at where he stay. Are room was very updated and everything work very well. The staff is very friendly. The breakfast was very good. They have a good verities something for everyone. The room was very clean. We were very pleased will r stay and will stay they again.

Room Tip: Second floor suite
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

Bed was comfortable, room was clean, other than some black mold where the shower tiles meet the ceiling, and a couple spots on the ceiling. I think if they cleaned it with bleach, painted with Kilz, and added a fan the problem would be solved.
Staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I am a IHG Platinum level member and am always satisfied with my IHG hotel family stays. I was originally going to stay at the newer Holiday Inn Express (HIE) in Red Bluff, but was unsure of their pet policy as we are traveling with our puppy and refuse to even consider leaving him in our vehicle overnight. We were heading for a visit to nearby Lassen Volcanic National Park. I found the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, California on IHG.com with a very pet-friendly attitude and a lower price tag, just 15 minutes away on I-5 South. What's in Corning? OLIVES!! Corning, The Olive City. Boo-Yah!

Well, we drove down I-5 from Oregon, thru Redding and past the older but elegant Holiday Inn Redding which was too expensive. My traveling partner said, "Hey! the Holiday Inn Redding!", I said, "no, not that one." "why not?" "Way too expensive." "Oh." Then we passed the HIE Red Bluff and again, "Hey, the Holiday Inn!" "No, not that one." 'Why not?" "Not sure if they were pet-friendly". "oh, but where are we going?" I said, "The Holiday Inn Express Corning, California! The Olive City! Both affordable AND very pet-friendly!" My travel partner said, "Oh no! Corning? Where's Corning?"

When we arrived at the HIE Corning CA at a busy truck stop exit, it was my turn to say, "OMG! What have I done?" This HIE is one of the original older HIE properties, like the HIE in Santa Nella, CA on the way down to LA in the central valley. I really like the older Santa Nella HIE. Anyway, I booked two nights here at the Corning HIE and it was too late to cancel it.

I walked in the clean relaxing lobby and was warmly greeted with a smile by Josue (Joe-Su-Way) who had my reservation ready with a pet-friendly room facing away from the I-5 freeway. Fresh baked assorted cookies were waiting for everyone on the front desk, I made a comment about no more peanut butter cookies left. Guess what? Josue popped some peanut butter cookies in the oven and called my room when they were ready!! Unbelievable service with a smile from Josue!

Room was clean and comfortable, with a much appreciated sofa and coffee table seating area to relax in our room. King sized bed was firm, fresh linens and comfortable. Vanity was small and too close to the door, poorly designed as closet should be near door, vanity where closet is. Hmmm. Yes, 27" Philips TV, not flat-screen, but it works great to watch the game with Direct TV!

Pool and spa area is clean and outdoors which I love! I hate the chemical smell of an indoor chlorine pool that the newer style HIE are now designed, like HIE Red Bluff. Instead, I love looking at the sky while sitting in a hot spa. Ahhhh. An the FREE HIE Breakfast was good, typical HIE style breakfast, hot food, cold food, lots of choices and plenty of good coffee! So why all the negative comments? It's good, plentiful, and, wait for it,....it's FREE at every Holiday Inn Express!

So, the building is an older style original HIE, but the HIE Corning California staff work hard to keep this grand dame Holiday Inn Express clean, make you comfortable, and keep everyone happy, and a repeat guest. Yes, we agreed that we would stay here again when in the area. One big negative comment that I agree with the other reviewers, PLEASE FIX THE LOCK ON THE BACK DOOR!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We had to travel to this area at the last minute and we didn't make a reservation. The hotel we had hoped to stay at was booked so we opted for the HIE based on the reviews. Wow we were surprised. By surprised I mean we were shocked at how run down this property is. We stayed in room 122 which is near the "back door". The sign clearly states that the back door is to remained locked. How can you lock a broken door? That should have been an indication of what was to come.
When we entered our room it looked clean. We dropped off our bags and left for dinner. When we returned to the room we realized the A/C was not working properly---on/off/on/off---the vicious cycle continued throughout the night. Now the real clincher, the light (2 bulbs) over the vanity did not work at all. The only light that worked in the bathroom was the heat lamp---come on, it was 106 degrees outside. The light above the table in the corner did not work. The lamp on the nightstand had 1 bulb, not 2 in it. You can probably see where I'm going with this. The only other light in the room was a light on the wall and it actually worked, but clearly not enough light for the room.
The appearance of a clean room was false. With the amount of dust on the carpet (which we did not see until the next morning) I doubt that the room had been vacuumed in a while. The bathroom was full of hair, both on the floor, in the toilet and in the shower. I wish I had brought my camera with me but this was a very last minute trip. Oh, and don't let me forget about the blonde hair found in the bed---I am not blonde!!
Breakfast, don't bother. We tried to eat it, but this was the worst breakfast I've ever had at any HIE. And, we were the only people having breakfast at 8am. Scary. We ended up at Denny's for breakfast.
Did I complain to the front desk? You bet. I complained about the lighting that night. The gal appeared to be taking notes. The next morning when we checked out the gal handling the check out asked how my stay was. I explained to her that I didn't think she should rent the room out until all of the issues were resolved. She asked me what was wrong with the room and I gave her the rundown. She took notes, too. She then told me she would pass along my "comments" to the manager.
The beds were semi comfortable (I've slept in worse beds, but I've also slept in much better beds). No fridge or microwave in the room. Water pressure in the shower was just OK. Vanity area was extremely small.
And to really top things off, when I checked in I explained that I didn't have my Rewards number with me because this trip was very last minute and she told me not to worry about it and she'd look my number up. Guess what, she didn't. Now I'm going back and forth with the Rewards program to get credit for my stay.
We'll be in the area again later this week but I can promise you we will not being staying here!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear smokymtndeb,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, CA. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Thank you to Josue at Holiday Inn in Corning, California. He provided such cheerful & efficient assistance over the phone when I thought I might have left clothing in our hotel room. I called at a busy time but he was kind & patient, not only checking lost & found but going to the room to check as well. Great service!

• Stayed: August 2013