“Wait until they have fully remodeled unless you want a bargain”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Corning
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Because there are many worse hotels out there, and we got this night so inexpensively, I'm giving it a kind rating, but compared to other hotels from this chain (Holiday Inn Express) this is about the least good experience we have ever had. We were planning on staying in Redding or Red Bluff and saw this hotel for much less. Then we found we could get one of our reward nights for only 5000 points, only half what the least expensive hotels charge. However, nothing was said about remodeling.
The staff was very pleasant, and I think we got an upgrade because our room had a refrigerator and microwave, which was pleasant. However, the bed was not up to their standard -- a bit too soft, and the pillows and sheets were substandard for HIE. The shower head was not the normal one, either. The bathroom had some of the tile removed, and the bathtub did not have the usual vertical grab bar, which we depend on. Some of the baseboard in the main room had the carpet removed, and staples were exposed. Although it was obvious they were laying new carpet in many areas, and replacing tile and the counter in the reception area, it wasn't obvious that our room was actually being remodeled. It just seemed as if someone had forgotten to quite finish the construction! We thought that the franchise owner must have chosen the least expensive grade of each amenity. On top of that, someone in the room above, probably a child, was literally running across the floor until almost midnight, back and forth! Evidently sound proofing was virtually non-existent.

Another sour note was the signage. I'm an ADA consultant, specializing in the visually and hearing impaired. The braille signs were on the doors (against the law), and were virtually the same color as the doors so they were almost invisible. The tactile graphics were so poorly done you could barely feel them. The letters had almost no contrast with the background. I've seen some bad and illegal signs, but this was among the worst I've seen! It's a good thing I had an eye operation or I could not have found our room.

Now for the good: The breakfast was the normal new HIE breakfast, but a cut above in terms of kind of fruit offered, Splenda for the coffee, and a good supply of everything. We noticed that the receptionist was also servicing the breakfast room, so they are either saving money during the remodeling, or are just making staff do double duty. However, the friendly staff members were certainly a bright note. Let's hope that they pull it together, fix some of the room deficiencies, and make it a good stop for the future.

Room Tip: I'd try to get one where remodeling was finished, check it out if possible, and maybe go for the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Exp... C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Sharon,
Thank you so much for all of the feedback, both good and bad. We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed review because that shows us you really do want things fixed and up to standard.
I've shared your comments not only with my staff, but also the remodeling crew so we can put the new braille signage comment you had mentioned into action.
Once again, thank you so much for choosing Holiday Inn Express and we can't wait to see you next time!
Kindly,
Chantel K.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We staying May 24, departed may 26. Overall it was a great stay, staff was great. Rooms were nice, big, clean. Pool & spa were great as well.
We were down visiting family. I chose this hotel and the rate increase over another hotel because of the full hot breakfast. Which would save us on our trip. We were very disappointed about the breakfast on Sunday morning. There were gnats flying around in the bread box, cold eggs, petrified turkey sausage, and the gravy for biscuits was luke warm. There also was no one around to ask. The pancake machine was not working either. When someone appeared they seemed young and not caring about it all. They went to try and make the machine work and ignored the food or checking on it.
The next morning on Monday was a totally turn around. Hot, fresh, 2 sausage choices. The gentleman on shift was constantly in and out making sure all was fresh and hot.
Hotel is right on the freeway and our room was as well. Did not hear it one bit. It was a great stay with the exception of the Breakfast on that one day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Exp... C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Salemstevie,

Thank you so much for choosing the Holiday Inn Express in Corning, CA. I'm so sorry your experience with us didn't meet your expectations as I had hoped. I will promptly be taking actions on the matter so during your next visit, our service will be above and beyond your expectations. I am, however, very happy to hear that you enjoyed everything else about us and I would love to invite you back in the future to give us another try! We can't wait to better serve you :)
Chantel K.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We stayed at this Holiday Inn from 4/30/14 to 5/5/14 and had a great experience. When I booked the first night I was in a jam because we were in town for my uncle's memorial services and were supposed to stay with my grandmother. My daughter was allergic to my grandmother's cat and we needed to book a hotel on short notice. I only booked one night initially. After having a nice stay the first night, I booked for the rest of the time we would be in the area. Our rooms were clean, and had recently had the carpet replaced and decor refreshed. We first stayed in 413 which had 1 bed (I think a king), then switched to 411 in order to get 2 queen beds so my sister and brother-in-law could stay with us. Both rooms had windows facing I-5, but we never felt bothered by it. All of the front desk staff were helpful and friendly. One guy was new and didn't know how to add my IHG member # to my reservation, but he said he would take care of it. We went to dinner and it was done by the time we came back. The breakfast was good. It had slight variation in the hot offerings, but I remember bacon, sausage, eggs, biscuits, gravy, yogurt, fruit, pancakes, breads, English muffins, juices, cold cereal, milk, muffins, tea and coffee. Even my notoriously picky 6 year old was happy with the offerings. They are in the middle of a decor update, but the only evidence I saw of it was the rolls of new carpet in the lobby. I saw a few men who looked like they were doing the work, but I never heard construction noise. I will book here the next time I visit my family in the area without hesitation.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms have windows that overlook I-5. Even numbered rooms have windows that overlook t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Exp... C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Summer,

We are so sorry your daughter couldn't stay with your grandma because of her allergies, but health does come first and I'm happy to hear our Holiday Inn Express came to the rescue for your family!
As far as breakfast goes, you have a great memory, and your daughter has an even better taste! We do offer all of the items you've named plus more healthy options coming soon with our Express Start addition!
And finally, I can't express how happy our staff was to hear that you've noticed our recent renovations! I especially thanked the renovation team for keeping the noise down so families like yours wouldn't hear a sound! We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Take Care!
Chantel K. :)

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Checked in and were advised that they would be turning off the water between midnight and 3 am. Were assured that this would not affect our stay. Woken at 1:30 am with banging, sawing, dragging noises. Very loud and not abating. Called front desk who acted surprised to hear this???? They would send someone to stop the noise. Never happened. They were renovating 10 rooms right above us. We got dressed and were on the road at 3 am. Never again Holiday Inn. We did get our money back but not in a friendly way. I can't believe that this even happened.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you expect to have a good night's rest.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear cybercat83,

Thank you for staying with us and for bringing this to our attention. We are very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We would like to address your experience further, and have sent you an email with additional details.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night. Tired from driving. 2 beds 2 people in my room. 2 friends in another room. Staff was great. Bed OK. Pillows should be discarded Looked and felt lumpy. Very bad air heating unit. Broken tile in bathroom. Breakfast was great. In middle of remodel. Feel some areas should be closed off while working. Walked by construction stuff on way to room. It was 8pm. Again not the staffs fault

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear kayakcon,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. I am pleased to know that you found our staff and breakfast great and apologize for the inconvenience the condition of your room may have caused. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 11 March 2014

On our way home from Disneyland and I simply couldn't drive any longer I was happy to see this Holiday Inn. I went in, check in was quick and easy, the staff working that night was very polite. The beds were so comfortable, the room was very clean and the complimentary toiletries were fantastic! The next morning the breakfast that was offered was good, a basic continental breakfast with options. The morning staff was also very polite and helpful, check out was a breeze! In the future I will most definitely look at staying at a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Exp... C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear KatreenyB,

Thank you so much for your 5 Star review! We greatly appreciate your business. Were so happy you enjoyed our Express Start breakfast and our bath and body works toiletries! We cant wait to welcome you back soon!

Kindly,
Monica W.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We stayed here three days earlier this month. I can't say enough good things about the experience and plan to make this hotel a regular stop while driving between Oregon and California. I spent all day in the hotel while my husband attended a class in the area and found the staff very accommodating, especially the housekeeping staff. The large flat screen TV had every channel we liked. There was a fridge and microwave in the room and the king size bed was very comfortable. The expanded breakfast was the best we ever had in a hotel, with fruit and coffee available at all times, and fresh cookies every evening. We highly recommend the hotel for anyone traveling through or staying in the area.

Room Tip: Third floor west end very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Holiday Inn Exp... C, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear hapytraveler10,

We are very pleased to hear you have such a wonderful experience at our hotel. We are very excited to share all of our new upgrades and happy to hear your enjoying them. We can't wait to welcome you back! Thank you for all your kind words!

Monica W.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corning
Best Western Plus Corning Inn
Super 8 Corning
Super 8 Corning
#2 of 8 in Corning
The Inn at Rolling Hills
Holiday Inn Express Red Bluff - South Redding Area
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Red Bluff

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Corning? Share your experiences!