“I would stay again”

GreenLeadersGold level
seattle
“I would stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

We came to Californian to play in a baseball tournament. This was our team hotel for our preteen children. We stayed 4 nights.

As noted by others, there are two buildings that this hotel consists of. One building is the typical hotel with hallways and the other has all outside facing doors. We stayed in the motel style building that has a pool and hot tub in the middle court yard area. The breakfast and evening 'dinner' is served in the more conventional newer hotel building.

I didn't like the fact that if staying in the motel style building you have to carry your luggage up the stairs to get to your second story room. This can be a problem for people with back problems or smaller people like my wife that might have problems carrying heavy stuff up stairs. It can also be very dangerous trying to maneuver stairs with heavy items.

The front desk people were nice and the grounds were kept clean.

I was quite annoyed that our initial 3 key cards did not work at all. While we sat in the heat with our luggage the kid went to the front desk and returned with three more keys: none of which worked. I went down and got three more which did work. Upon entry into the room there were two queen beds with a small island thing between them with a small fridge, microwave, and sink. There was a 27 inch tube tv against the wall centered between the beds. It was difficult to have people in each bed looking at the tv at the same time because of the angle.

The sink and mirrors were out in the open with no door. I don't like that.

The tub/shower and tub did have a door.

The shower head was pretty good with good pressure.

The carpets were really dirty but not visibly so. I wiped up a spilled area of lotion on the floor with a white towel and after only a few swipes, the towel was filthy.

The breakfast in the morning is adequate. The evening snack thing they have is also adequate.

The one poster that stated there is nothing around here to eat is nuts. There is a Miguels next door along with KFC, Dairy Queen, Del Taco, pizza, a donut place, a sub place, a Denny's and a ton of other places to eat. I had my Garmin GPS that had many food places in it's preprogrammed list of places to eat. I had a rental car and was able to drive around. Many places are a short walk away.

The neighborhood didn't seem to be the best but it wasn't an issue. There were no weirdos walking around and there are security gates to access the inner courtyard where we were staying. I don't recall hearing cop cars or seeing abandoned cars around. We felt safe here. It is right off the freeway.

I would recommend that if you don't want to be by the pool, which can get noisy, that you get a room in the newer building or a room that faces away from the inner court yard where the pool is.

The ac is one of those built in below the window units and it seemed to do a good job cooling the room along with the ceiling fan. It is not one of those window units that you buy at the store.

There is free wireless internet in the room and free internet on one of their desktop computers in the lobby with a printer. The computer is free to use so you could print out directions or boarding passes if you wished.

Parking is free.

They have a couple of washers and dryers that are coin operated. They sell laundry soap here also. There are a few vending machines for snacks/drinks. There are also a few ice machines.

A CVS pharmacy is about a mile down the road.

That is all I can really say about the place, other than the grounds seemed pretty clean and maintained pretty well. There is a gas fireplace in the courtyard with a built in bbq which we used a few times.

My wife did complain to me about the bathroom floor being dirty but she was passed out on it and throwing up in the toilet so it couldn't have been too bad.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Czech first
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2009

Earlier reviews have described the clean & comfortable rooms, bathrooms with large tubs, amazing free breakfasts (with eggs, sausage, potatoes, omelets, waffles, fresh fruit, cereal, etc), free mini dinners M-Th, lovely common areas inside and out, including outdoor fireplace and grill, free wireless & common internet computer in lobby. There are two bldgs, newer one apparently a bit more upscale, but we stayed in the older bldg and loved it. What needs to also be said is the staff is wonderful - could not have been more accommodating - from Anthony, the front desk manager, and his front desk people, to food staff, to housekeepers. Everyone was a delight to meet. Stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Las Vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

Their is not much to eat around here BUT they offer an evening social hour that includes food(lasagna, salad, nachos, cheese, soda, beer, & wine) all complimentary. You get breakfast in the morning.
The room is great, the beds are comfortable with enought pillows for any of your needs. The tub is large and deep for those of us girls that want to soak their entire body in the tub not just the bottom half.
I got a killer rate on this hotel and I feel I got my moneys worth plus!
I would recomend this hotel to everybody.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2009

I booked this hotel thinking it was the one east of the location. As with all ayres properties this is a nice hotel. The area it is in is absolutely AWFUL.
The rooms are spacious, the staff freindly, everything is clean.
There is absolutely nothing around as far as food. I ended up eating TOGO's sandwiches for dinner. If I was willing to drive another 5-10 miles there is food but I was tired.
All in all I would stay here in a pinch but I think I will avoid it if I can.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2008

We did quite a bit of searching before landing on this hotel. We loved it and will definitely go back to stay when we visit Corona in the future. The staff was very helpful and kind. The facilities were awesome. Our room even had a fireplace, which we were not expecting. The breakfast was great and included. They also served a light meal in the evening Mon.-Fri frm 5-7pm, which we were not expecting. It was great.

Stayed October 2008
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2008

This is a very nice hotel, part of a small southern California chain. I was lucky enough to be assigned this hotel on a Priceline deal, and I couldn't have been more pleased. It has the decor of an upscale rural lodge. The staff was nice enough upon check-in, but seemed a little bit too casual and unprofessional. From the outside, the hotel looks like a typical motor lodge, with the outdoor corridors, but looks are deceiving. The room and the public spaces are luxurious. I was given a King Studio Suite, and it was very nicely decorated and immaculately clean. Although I didn't bring my computer on this trip, I noticed that they have free wireless and wired internet access in every room. I would definitely like to stay at an Ayres property again.

• Liked — the unique upscale lodge decor
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2008

The Ayers chain is one of our favorites, and this location did not disappoint.

There are 2 buildings: a Southwest-themed motel-esque structure, and a more traditional hotel with European-style decor. We stayed in the former. Despite the outdoor hallways and central courtyard, it was anything but a motor inn. Our room was large, with a sitting/ living area separated by a counter containing a sink, mini-fridge and microwave. The bed was very comfortable with feather pillows and cozy bedding. The tub and shower were nice and roomy. Everything was immaculately clean.

We did not take advantage of the pool, but it was a good size with a large jacuzzi. The courtyard was very nice. There were lots of tables and chairs set up in the shade right outside the lobby, but food was only offered in the other building. It was a little pricier than we had budgeted for ($135/ night) but well worth it for the comfort, cleanliness, and ambiance of a much more expensive hotel.

I enjoyed the area. It is for sure an older, more eclectic part of Corona but that was the charm: it felt like we were out of the way, not in the middle of the new boomtown that eastern Corona has become.

• Liked — Comfort, cleanliness, ambiance
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple