“Worth Seeing”

Sherman Library & Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: Horticultural retreat that features a museum of living plants, walking paths, bubbling tile fountains and a library devoted to the study of the Pacific Southwest.
Corona del Mar, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Worth Seeing”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The gardens are beautiful. Best seen in springtime. I went at Christmas. It was pretty, but the colors of spring are more interesting.

Visited December 2012

West Sussex
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Lovely gardens but avoid the over priced 'French' afternoon tea.”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The gardens are nice to walk around, especially liked the succulent garden, although the Library was shut when we were there. We had booked to have an afternoon tea and were so disappointed. The 'Devonshire clotted creme' tasted just like cream from a spray can, it certainly wasn't the traditional clotted cream. The strawberry jam was runny like a liquid, and the tiny chocolate chip scones were dry, I'm guessing these had been sitting around waiting for the last afternoon tea seating. We mentioned all this to the waiting staff who just said it's ordered from the restaurant, no explanation as to why it was like this. To be fair it's not the waiting staff's fault, they just served the dreadful food. The sandwiches weren't much better, some strange combinations, lacked any good flavours and taste, and the tiny desserts were a bit tasteless too, except for the chocolate one. This was certainly a French version of afternoon tea, and everything was very small and not worth $29 plus tax and gratuity.

Apart from that, go and visit the gardens for $3 but I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to see it, and I certainly wouldn't recommend the afternoon tea.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank FebbreDaCavallo
los angeles
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Excellent restaurant inside & ideal afternoon”
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Lovely place, very well kept. Small, so easy to fit in in a short period of time if you're looking for a break from driving the PCH. Restaurant had outstanding food and service.

Visited July 2013
Hanover Park, Illinois
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 137 helpful votes
“A Beautiful, Relaxing Place to Visit”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We had gone to the Sherman Gardens once before a few year ago, so I knew a return trip was a must. It was even more beautiful than the last time I went, which I didn't think possible. The various gardens within the garden are so very well done and maintained.
The rose garden has some of the biggest and most beautiful roses I have ever seen and the fragrance, oh my, WOW!
Don't miss the succulent garden, it is so artfully and wonderfully done.
We did not have lunch the day we visited, but that is something I look forward to doing the next time I visit.
This is absolutely a wonderful place to visit.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank MarilynKay16
Laguna Woods, CA
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“A lovely small garden”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This was the 3rd visit for me. It is a great little gem tucked away in Corona Del Mar. The gardens are well maintained and a perfect place to host a wedding or event --- which was about to go on the afternoon we attended. Wonderful rose garden, and tropical plants. It's a great place to go to get ideas for your own garden. The volunteers are friendly and knowledgeable. The fee to get in is minimal - $3.00. The gift shop is nice. While we did not eat here on this visit - they do offer a nice cafe with seating in the garden.

Visited August 2013