“Gotta do something about those ducks people!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa

Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
“Gotta do something about those ducks people!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

So I was here in Jan for a weekend business meeting. A VERY nice change from the Polar Vortex we've endured in Chicago this winter... Having spent too much time on a plane and in the cold, I decided to be adventurous and WALK from the airport to the ferry... This seemed like a reasonable plan, enabling me to be closer to "the people" and get a lay of the land (and sea) while burning some calories... Made it to the first ferry in about an hour (notice I said, "first".). The guy was there and said we're leaving in about 4 minutes. I thought, WOW what great luck...hold on I'll be right back gonna go buy a ticket! By the time I got back that punk was GONE! There was NO ONE there...! Why the hurry??? So that sucked. BUT the ticket selling dude was super helpful and said that there is one about 20 minutes away by foot and leaves in 30 (I think...), so I said fine, I'll go there and see more sights. The ferry was fun, the trip was too short. I finally made it to my hotel and the check in process was flawless, the room was nice with a very good view. First floor, facing the pool and over looking the bay with a little patio. Man I wish my wife had come with me! So, the room was clean, quiet and comfortable. A fridge was included, the wifi worked ok... and the housekeeping did a very good job.

We had a little reception on the patio that night. The serving staff was AMAZING! Quick, VERY attentive and quite nice. Very funny at times too. They made for a nice experience. The pool and hot tub too were well maintained, clean and inviting. Unfortunately by the time I was able to enjoy, the day was over and it was dark.

Couple of odd things about this place. The aviary. I LOVE birds. Cages, not so much. You can go in there and visit with the tiny finches... cute, but weird. Do they ever get to leave? Seems a bit cruel to me. Same thing wtih the flamingos... Fun for the kids I guess, but mostly odd. Now about those ducks. Personally, I didn't mind them or pay much attention, but folks in my party commented multiple times about how FAT they looked! Personally I'm not sure how a duck can look fat, but they were very involved with our outdoor reception and the next day a nice waddling couple came up onto my patio... I swear they would have come into my room had I offered a nice enough incentive. Yes an open setting makes it tough to manage wildlife. Our lunch on Saturday on the other patio over by the pond was staffed by hotel folks making sure the gulls didn't steal our food or decorate us with their droppings... Again, I didn't mind but can see how some might find it too much.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it as well. Nice job!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely grounds, view from the room was a shutterbugs delight. Lodging was spacious and a tub which begged for bubble bath. Enjoyable overall. Was surprised that wireless was an additional charge ( this is 2014) and the carpet was stained. $4 for a cup of coffee? Wasn't mentioned that happy hour pertains only to house wine. Oh my. But the view. Very mixed feelings. Would I stay again? Grab the bubble bath and enjoy the view.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Ladihwk
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed a Friday night as a little staycation with my wife. First room had a small issue so hoping for the best we asked if we could move (we're not finicky) and they moved us immediately. Nice. Rooms seem nice sized compared to standard rooms presumably because of the building design. Location is right by the ferry landing. We rode the ferry over to the marina behind the convention center ($17 total RT), had dinner and drinks downtown, caught the 10:25 ferry back (10:55 is the last F/S) and made it down to the empty jacuzzi before the pool closed. Also, in today's litigious society things like a really hot shower w great pressure is a rarity. This place had both which I always appreciate after staying in various $200-$300 rooms where there is NO pressure and the temp tops out at "too mild to get sued."

Love the accessibility of downtown with the laid back feel of Coronado right out the door. We had a late breakfast/early lunch at Coronado Brewing Co. on Sat. Highly recommended. Should have stayed two nights and messed around in Coronado all day Sat.

FYI - Self parking is low clearance. Roof rack of my gently lifted Toyota hit the yellow bar on the way in the garage marked at 6'8" (which my truck isn't but that's prob slope/angle) but inside everything was fine but made me nervous.

Room Tip: Bay side, no garden views. Our top floor room had nice vaulted ceilings which made it seem bigger.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniel F
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed at the above hotel for our 35th Wedding Anniversary.
We had several "amenity disappointments" and addressed them with Management.
Our evaluation was taken seriously, and addressed TOTALLY to our satisfaction.
WE WILL VISIT THIS PROPERTY AGAIN.

Room Tip: Choose a "BAYFRONT" room. If you are "into views" ....this one is SPECTACULAR a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

These people really know how to take care of their guests. We were tired when we arrived and ordered room service. Our food was in our room in less than 10 minutes. Upon check in I told the desk person we got lost driving to the hotel from the airport because of my error using the GPS. She was very sympathetic. She must have told the manager because about 30 minutes later the room service waiter showed up with a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries with a very nice card from the manager. Admittedly, I am Marriott Gold but I haven't received this kind of treatment anywhere else. The room and patio were excellent if a bit worn and the atmosphere was outstanding. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view room. We routinely request the ground floor, but this would be a place to ask for...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank J F
Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

I am an avid Trip Advisor reader. That said, I was worried after reading mixed reviews about this property. BUT, I was so pleased and happy with our stay!!
PROS;
--Huge Resort with AMAZING bay views with sailboats and a view of San Diego downtown!

--AMAZING staff! Everyone from Hanna at the front desk, to the Concierge, to our servers at Breakfast were so FRIENDLY and helpful! Even the housekeeping that brought us an extra feather pillow was so friendly and kind. They went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable!

--We rented bikes right on the property and LOVED riding around the island. This is a VERY bike friendly city. We took our 2 kids ages 10 and 12 and rode ALL day. It was the highlight of our trip!

--The pool area is gorgeous. Overlooks the bay. Outdoor fireplace. Large clean towels right there at the pool.

--Parking is available right out on the street. You do not need to park in the Marriott parking gargage and pay for parking. (just be sure to tell the front desk you parked on the street, so they do not charge you nightly.)

--The flamigos right out the front door are a nice warm welcome!

--The bed was very comfortable.

--The bathroom had a nice large tub and separate shower.

--In room fridge is nice to keep waters and sodas cold.

--The balcony is nice to sit and relax on.

CONS

--This resort is showing that it is not brand new. Some of the couches are looking a bit worn. The tile in the shower looks like it needs to be replaced soon.

--It is a 7-8 minute drive to the beach. But, this was fine with us, for the price at the Marriott vs. the price at the famous Hotel Del Coronado, we thought the drive was fine. Plus the added bonus of seeing all the historic homes in the area was fun for all of us to see. Even my kids loved looking at the gorgeous Coronado homes!

--The doors are not very sound proof. If a group of people were walking by our door, you could hear almost every word that was said.

You won't regret staying here! We would go again in a heartbeat. We also had amazing weather in February, which really made our stay amazing!

Room Tip: Ask for Bay view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mtmommy2
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

This is a nice property, but I was also buying sleep. That was challenging. Our room was on the first floor near the lobby. Every suitcase and maids cart going past our room sounded like a subway passing right outside our door as it bounced down the tile floor. The walls are paper thin, so that and voices were disturbing to sleep with.
We had spent the day in town on Saturday and came back to our room at about 2:30 to freshen up and meet up with our friends at 3:00. When we got back to the room, it hadn't been serviced yet. That wasn't a problem, but the housekeeper knocked on our door at 2:50 wanting to service the room. We asked her to give us 10 minutes. She said no. If we wanted our room cleaned that day, she needed the room right then. Not the end of the world, but also not what I expected as a response.
Beyond that, it is a nice property. Just don't stay on the first floor!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank austinteri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,941 reviews
Hotel del Coronado
#8 of 16 in Coronado
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,886 reviews

Been to Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!