“Large Room and Outstanding Views”

Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I would like to say that this is probably one of the nicest places I have stayed at (based on view) and the room is very spacious with plenty of room to spreed out. The room is nice and the bed comfortable with some nice touches for the traveler. There is a outlet for you to attach a DVD player to even with HDMI hookup, the lamps by the bed have extra outlets in the lamp, the patio door has a security chain for added security, and there is a mini refrigerator in the room and an extra large safe. The bathroom is pretty large as well, with a separate bath tub and shower, and enough room to allow two people to be in there with plenty of room to move around each other. The big plus is the view from the resort or room (depending on where you are on the property) we had a skyline view and it was worth the extra money. There is also plenty of parking below the property and more then one way up from the parking structure. I would also like to say that the front desk staff and valet staff are First Class and Stars of this facility, and make you feel like a valued customer. Any reasonable accommodation is addressed and taken care of immediately or within a short period of time, this is becoming more and more rare in the market place, but here it is a common occurrence.
Now there are a few negatives to this property, lets start off with the obvious which is the $25 parking fee and the really slow internet (that you have to pay for to boot), In Today's marketplace with internet being almost standard at most facilities to still have a slow internet speed is unacceptable, and parking charges are not that uncommon but $25 for self parking??? On the plus side you are within walking distance of shopping and a really nice walking trail, so maybe if you factor that it would cost you money to park anyway. There is the option to park on the street in a safe neighborhood and fairly easy to find a parking space on the weekend (not so good on the weekday due to the hospital less then a block away)
Please NOTE that the only plus for Gold members at this facility are free internet and possibility of a room upgrade.

Room Tip: Resort View rooms only have a view of the inside of the property or that of other buildings
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heumanntouch
Write a ReviewReviews (1,427)

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We were treated to our stay over the winter holidays here and could never complain! A view of the marina, comfy bed and large bathroom with a spa bathtub and shower, this place was 'home' for just over a week. We enjoyed the hammocks at the pool, the hot tub, and the walk around Coronado as we were next two restaurants and not far from the beach, either. We even witnessed a wedding outside our window! The parking and resort fees are a bit steep, and the drinks and restaurant prices are too, but the service is wonderful and the desserts are too!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah F
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The Coronado Marriott resort and spa is in a great location with specular views across the bay of the downtown San Diego skyline. Rooms are very ice. However, they appear to be running a free public swimming pool as each night the hot tub was overrun with local teenagers and during the day (my experience was on a Saturday) I was unable to get even a chair at the pool, let alone a lounge chair because it was a overrun with locals or others visiting the nearby park and coming over to the hotel for a free swim. It became very apparent who were pool hopping and who were guests at the hotel. As an avid supporter of the Marriott brand I was disappointed in this lack of controlled access to the facilities at this property.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room looking toward the San Diego skyline - it's worth it
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Travelinmike55
Nusrat M, General Manager at Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

First and foremost thank you very much for staying at my hotel and taking the time to provide us the feedback. I am grateful for your comments related to our great location and beautiful views. I sincerely apologize that you were not able to enjoy our pool area. I am personally looking into your comments and addressing your concerns with appropriate individuals in my team.

Once again thank you for the feedback.

Best regards,
Nusrat

Reviewed 4 March 2014

So I was here in Jan for a weekend business meeting. A VERY nice change from the Polar Vortex we've endured in Chicago this winter... Having spent too much time on a plane and in the cold, I decided to be adventurous and WALK from the airport to the ferry... This seemed like a reasonable plan, enabling me to be closer to "the people" and get a lay of the land (and sea) while burning some calories... Made it to the first ferry in about an hour (notice I said, "first".). The guy was there and said we're leaving in about 4 minutes. I thought, WOW what great luck...hold on I'll be right back gonna go buy a ticket! By the time I got back that punk was GONE! There was NO ONE there...! Why the hurry??? So that sucked. BUT the ticket selling dude was super helpful and said that there is one about 20 minutes away by foot and leaves in 30 (I think...), so I said fine, I'll go there and see more sights. The ferry was fun, the trip was too short. I finally made it to my hotel and the check in process was flawless, the room was nice with a very good view. First floor, facing the pool and over looking the bay with a little patio. Man I wish my wife had come with me! So, the room was clean, quiet and comfortable. A fridge was included, the wifi worked ok... and the housekeeping did a very good job.

We had a little reception on the patio that night. The serving staff was AMAZING! Quick, VERY attentive and quite nice. Very funny at times too. They made for a nice experience. The pool and hot tub too were well maintained, clean and inviting. Unfortunately by the time I was able to enjoy, the day was over and it was dark.

Couple of odd things about this place. The aviary. I LOVE birds. Cages, not so much. You can go in there and visit with the tiny finches... cute, but weird. Do they ever get to leave? Seems a bit cruel to me. Same thing wtih the flamingos... Fun for the kids I guess, but mostly odd. Now about those ducks. Personally, I didn't mind them or pay much attention, but folks in my party commented multiple times about how FAT they looked! Personally I'm not sure how a duck can look fat, but they were very involved with our outdoor reception and the next day a nice waddling couple came up onto my patio... I swear they would have come into my room had I offered a nice enough incentive. Yes an open setting makes it tough to manage wildlife. Our lunch on Saturday on the other patio over by the pond was staffed by hotel folks making sure the gulls didn't steal our food or decorate us with their droppings... Again, I didn't mind but can see how some might find it too much.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it as well. Nice job!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Lovely grounds, view from the room was a shutterbugs delight. Lodging was spacious and a tub which begged for bubble bath. Enjoyable overall. Was surprised that wireless was an additional charge ( this is 2014) and the carpet was stained. $4 for a cup of coffee? Wasn't mentioned that happy hour pertains only to house wine. Oh my. But the view. Very mixed feelings. Would I stay again? Grab the bubble bath and enjoy the view.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ladihwk
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed a Friday night as a little staycation with my wife. First room had a small issue so hoping for the best we asked if we could move (we're not finicky) and they moved us immediately. Nice. Rooms seem nice sized compared to standard rooms presumably because of the building design. Location is right by the ferry landing. We rode the ferry over to the marina behind the convention center ($17 total RT), had dinner and drinks downtown, caught the 10:25 ferry back (10:55 is the last F/S) and made it down to the empty jacuzzi before the pool closed. Also, in today's litigious society things like a really hot shower w great pressure is a rarity. This place had both which I always appreciate after staying in various $200-$300 rooms where there is NO pressure and the temp tops out at "too mild to get sued."

Love the accessibility of downtown with the laid back feel of Coronado right out the door. We had a late breakfast/early lunch at Coronado Brewing Co. on Sat. Highly recommended. Should have stayed two nights and messed around in Coronado all day Sat.

FYI - Self parking is low clearance. Roof rack of my gently lifted Toyota hit the yellow bar on the way in the garage marked at 6'8" (which my truck isn't but that's prob slope/angle) but inside everything was fine but made me nervous.

Room Tip: Bay side, no garden views. Our top floor room had nice vaulted ceilings which made it seem bigger.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Daniel F
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed at the above hotel for our 35th Wedding Anniversary.
We had several "amenity disappointments" and addressed them with Management.
Our evaluation was taken seriously, and addressed TOTALLY to our satisfaction.
WE WILL VISIT THIS PROPERTY AGAIN.

Room Tip: Choose a "BAYFRONT" room. If you are "into views" ....this one is SPECTACULAR a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
El Cordova Hotel
#8 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!