“Great Place to stay on Coronado Island”

Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Great place for families to stay and explore Coronado Island and San Diego. This was our first time to San Diego. As other reviewers said the bay view from the hotel is amazing. I also enjoyed watching the boat activity from our hotel room. The fitness center is spacious and enjoyable to workout in. There is a lap pool and beautiful tennis courts attached to the fitness center complex. It is within walking distance to the ferry which will take you across the bay to downtown San Diego. The room decor is outdated but clean and comfortable. The dining area is very nice. The breakfast buffet is expensive. A few cons that really bother me as a traveler: Daily charges for internet use (and it was slow) and daily parking fees. Our family was very comfortable there and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AnneinMN12
Write a ReviewReviews (1,442)

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The Marriott was a good pick for us. This was a first trip to Coronado, and we were unsure of pretty much everything! The Marriott was somewhat pricey, but our room had a beautiful view and was quite spacious. Loved having a safe and a fridge! Bath supplies were always full and had a yummy fragrance. The Marriott has a nice bar and a pretty good restaurant (GREAT breakfast). Those were the things we just didn't know where we would head for at a small non-chain hotel, and is why we chose Marriott. The pool area was good sized with many chairs, hammocks, tables and plenty of towels. It was quite busy on the weekend, but virtually empty on weekdays. You can get service any time at the pool. Right in front of the bay view is a lengthy walkway that takes you in both directions. Beautiful views of the ships and sailboats and the downtown area across the bay. The walk goes by multiple grassy parks and is quite scenic. The staff is excellent and go out of their way to make you happy whether it is mixing a drink or getting your car for you: OUTSTANDING STAFF! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

1  Thank Maureen S
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I've been lucky enough to visit this hotel every year for the past 8 years. It is truly one of my favorite places to stay. The bay view is incredible (either looking towards the downtown skyline or over the pool), I love sitting out on the deck watching the Navy ships go by and having a cocktail ..... Can't beat it. Try to get on the 3rd (top) floor, it has vaulted ceilings and you won't have to worry about hearing people walk on the floor above you. The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable. The staff is consistently friendly and accommodating, both concierges are always helpful and willing to make restaurant suggestions and reservations. Lupe is my favorite! I look forward to seeing her every year. She always has a smile on her face and goes out of her way to make sure that everyone is happy and has what they need. I love coming to this hotel, because I see the same faces in the restaurants, bars and front desk. They must treat their employees well, because I don't see much turnover. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. There is a walking/biking path steps from the hotel that follows along the waters edge. The pool is beautiful and is surrounded by palm trees, cabanas, hammocks and a fire pit. The restaurant and bar have great food/appetizers. Would highly recommend Coronado Brewing company for lunch or dinner and Miguel's for Mexican food.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Shannon A
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I would like to say that this is probably one of the nicest places I have stayed at (based on view) and the room is very spacious with plenty of room to spreed out. The room is nice and the bed comfortable with some nice touches for the traveler. There is a outlet for you to attach a DVD player to even with HDMI hookup, the lamps by the bed have extra outlets in the lamp, the patio door has a security chain for added security, and there is a mini refrigerator in the room and an extra large safe. The bathroom is pretty large as well, with a separate bath tub and shower, and enough room to allow two people to be in there with plenty of room to move around each other. The big plus is the view from the resort or room (depending on where you are on the property) we had a skyline view and it was worth the extra money. There is also plenty of parking below the property and more then one way up from the parking structure. I would also like to say that the front desk staff and valet staff are First Class and Stars of this facility, and make you feel like a valued customer. Any reasonable accommodation is addressed and taken care of immediately or within a short period of time, this is becoming more and more rare in the market place, but here it is a common occurrence.
Now there are a few negatives to this property, lets start off with the obvious which is the $25 parking fee and the really slow internet (that you have to pay for to boot), In Today's marketplace with internet being almost standard at most facilities to still have a slow internet speed is unacceptable, and parking charges are not that uncommon but $25 for self parking??? On the plus side you are within walking distance of shopping and a really nice walking trail, so maybe if you factor that it would cost you money to park anyway. There is the option to park on the street in a safe neighborhood and fairly easy to find a parking space on the weekend (not so good on the weekday due to the hospital less then a block away)
Please NOTE that the only plus for Gold members at this facility are free internet and possibility of a room upgrade.

Room Tip: Resort View rooms only have a view of the inside of the property or that of other buildings
1  Thank heumanntouch
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We were treated to our stay over the winter holidays here and could never complain! A view of the marina, comfy bed and large bathroom with a spa bathtub and shower, this place was 'home' for just over a week. We enjoyed the hammocks at the pool, the hot tub, and the walk around Coronado as we were next two restaurants and not far from the beach, either. We even witnessed a wedding outside our window! The parking and resort fees are a bit steep, and the drinks and restaurant prices are too, but the service is wonderful and the desserts are too!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The Coronado Marriott resort and spa is in a great location with specular views across the bay of the downtown San Diego skyline. Rooms are very ice. However, they appear to be running a free public swimming pool as each night the hot tub was overrun with local teenagers and during the day (my experience was on a Saturday) I was unable to get even a chair at the pool, let alone a lounge chair because it was a overrun with locals or others visiting the nearby park and coming over to the hotel for a free swim. It became very apparent who were pool hopping and who were guests at the hotel. As an avid supporter of the Marriott brand I was disappointed in this lack of controlled access to the facilities at this property.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room looking toward the San Diego skyline - it's worth it
3  Thank Travelinmike55
Nusrat M, General Manager at Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

First and foremost thank you very much for staying at my hotel and taking the time to provide us the feedback. I am grateful for your comments related to our great location and beautiful views. I sincerely apologize that you were not able to enjoy our pool area. I am personally looking into your comments and addressing your concerns with appropriate individuals in my team.

Once again thank you for the feedback.

Best regards,
Nusrat

Reviewed 4 March 2014

So I was here in Jan for a weekend business meeting. A VERY nice change from the Polar Vortex we've endured in Chicago this winter... Having spent too much time on a plane and in the cold, I decided to be adventurous and WALK from the airport to the ferry... This seemed like a reasonable plan, enabling me to be closer to "the people" and get a lay of the land (and sea) while burning some calories... Made it to the first ferry in about an hour (notice I said, "first".). The guy was there and said we're leaving in about 4 minutes. I thought, WOW what great luck...hold on I'll be right back gonna go buy a ticket! By the time I got back that punk was GONE! There was NO ONE there...! Why the hurry??? So that sucked. BUT the ticket selling dude was super helpful and said that there is one about 20 minutes away by foot and leaves in 30 (I think...), so I said fine, I'll go there and see more sights. The ferry was fun, the trip was too short. I finally made it to my hotel and the check in process was flawless, the room was nice with a very good view. First floor, facing the pool and over looking the bay with a little patio. Man I wish my wife had come with me! So, the room was clean, quiet and comfortable. A fridge was included, the wifi worked ok... and the housekeeping did a very good job.

We had a little reception on the patio that night. The serving staff was AMAZING! Quick, VERY attentive and quite nice. Very funny at times too. They made for a nice experience. The pool and hot tub too were well maintained, clean and inviting. Unfortunately by the time I was able to enjoy, the day was over and it was dark.

Couple of odd things about this place. The aviary. I LOVE birds. Cages, not so much. You can go in there and visit with the tiny finches... cute, but weird. Do they ever get to leave? Seems a bit cruel to me. Same thing wtih the flamingos... Fun for the kids I guess, but mostly odd. Now about those ducks. Personally, I didn't mind them or pay much attention, but folks in my party commented multiple times about how FAT they looked! Personally I'm not sure how a duck can look fat, but they were very involved with our outdoor reception and the next day a nice waddling couple came up onto my patio... I swear they would have come into my room had I offered a nice enough incentive. Yes an open setting makes it tough to manage wildlife. Our lunch on Saturday on the other patio over by the pond was staffed by hotel folks making sure the gulls didn't steal our food or decorate us with their droppings... Again, I didn't mind but can see how some might find it too much.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it as well. Nice job!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#5 of 17 in Coronado
El Cordova Hotel
El Cordova Hotel
#8 of 17 in Coronado

Been to Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!