“The closest thing to Perfect! ”

Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
San Diego, California
“The closest thing to Perfect! ”
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We have been traveling for months on sabbatical-- many cruises, many hotels. From the moment I made contact with this hotel I knew I had made a good decision to stay here. Online I had few options to book- I called and spoke to Shannon who was so cheerful and helpful- she would check my reservation and if there were other options she would have them advise me upon arrival ( and what the costs would be). Upon arrival ( and throughout) my entire stay I met the BEST staff that I have seen in YEARS! You are treated as if you are at Ritz Carlton. Everything is " at your service" or " my pleasure." Most importantly, it is all sincere. Early check in ( 10am) was flawless with a quick call to my cell fone when the room was ready around 1130 am. Irina at front desk was outstanding and memorable. The valets, bell people, EVERYONE is friendly, knowledgable and plain old NICE and caring. The grounds are lush, the rooms are large with all the modern tech features and comforts---the beds provide a luxurious sleep. The pool is surrounded by high end furniture with 4 inch thick pads for optimum comfort as no expense was spared to provide a consistency of luxury. The view of the bay and skyline of San Diego is unrivaled. Cold water bottle dispensers ( gratis) were abundant at the pool. Obtrusive was the awkwardness of being questioned by security while lounging at the pool if I really was a guest of the hotel (???) ( the security officer had 20 mins earlier introduced me to the manager Steven so I could give him laud about my stay). It was escalating badly without him calling the front desk as I requested ( he didnt) until i could finally remember my room number ( though I provided my key for him to check in his electronic device). Awkward and not expected considering the rest of my stay.
In the main lobby 2 fresh fruit infused water dispensers ( gratis) were there daily for refreshment.

It is apparent that management knows how to train and value great employees ( except perhaps security nazi's at the pool) -- and provide the " bricks and linens" of a luxury resort. As I said to the gracious manager Steven-- " this place is the closest to perfect i've seen in 6 months of travel." Casual luxury that is wonderfully and consistently executed-- THANK YOU. Please fix your security nazi's at the pool ( secure pool area access to room key entry?)-- its not worth tarnishing the resorts image.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EpicuriousTourist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Orange County, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have been going to this hotel for years now (ever since I was little and we would come to Coronado for soccer tournaments/family vacations) and it never disappoints!! We even got married here two years ago and it was THEN I really appreciated how impeccable the service is and what an amazing location this hotel truly is!! My husband and I stayed here recently to celebrate his birthday, and again they went above and beyond with their service. From the front desk, to the room service, to the bellmen, to the wait staff at Currents...everyone was WONDERFUL! I cannot say enough good things about EVERYONE that works at this hotel. Even though we are only stayed here one night, we left feeling truly relaxed and pampered! The grounds are beautifully kept and obviously after having our wedding here- I would recommend them for ANY special events- they are amazing!! The location is a plus too as it's away from the "touristy" parts of the island (but you can EASILY get there too if you wish) and you have a great view of the downtown San Diego skyline. I love this place and we are always looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandra R
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I truly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The rooms are nice and I had a spectacular view. The pool was nice and I spent many relaxing hours there. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There are lots of wonderful restaurants within walking distance that also have wonderful views. I would stay here again anytime!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunworshiper L
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

The resort is beautiful and relaxing. Great location to everything. Had a wonderful time and the staff is awesome. It is peaceful watching all the boats, ships and barges gracefully float thru the bay. And entertaining watching the kayakers paddle into the wind.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kathleen L
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The location is what makes this hotel. It is the only major hotel on the bay side of Coronado and has a great view of San Diego. It is only a 5 minute drive to the main Coronado Beach. Restaurants are close and a walking path is right out front following the shoreline. The hotel is starting to show some age. Some carpets need replacing and walls need paint and wallpaper touch-ups. The furniture is a little beat up since the last remodel. This hotel has a beach feel and vibe and is a nice wind down location. The parking is very steep considering the price you pay for the hotel ($25 self per day and $30 valet per day).

Room Tip: Bay views are great and I would opt for ground level or floor 3. The higher floor gives better view...
Green Features: I think it is a good way to save the environment, but It is not reflected on the cost of stay. They will change the sheets and towels as often as you like or every 3 days of the stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gkbpro
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The hotel is on the bay side so it is a different type of stay. There is a very nice boardwalk up to the shops and restaurants. You get a great view of the city and the advantage of being over to pop over the bridge if you have to be at the convention center. The work out room is great plenty of machines and no waiting. Food is above average. If you want to slow down and not be in the middle of the Gas Lamp district I would recommend it. If you want the beach on the island then you should look on the other side. Overall i would stay here again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Biztravr
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed four days for business meetings. Spectacular waterfront location, very hospitable and attentive staff. Spacious waterfront grounds for walking and relaxing by the pool. Many nearby attractions and dining opportunities.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Richard C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 16 in Coronado
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego

Been to Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!