“Quaint and fun” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Chula Vista, California
“Quaint and fun”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights as a gift from a friend, and we had a great time. The room was clean but quaint with lots of Spanish tile and windows overlooking a shaded courtyard. We had a perfect room surrounded by a carpeted stairwell on one side, and an emergency exit on the other--so no noisy or snoopy neighbors.

Waking up in the morning to the sun filtering through the massive tree covering the courtyard, and the sound of shopkeepers opening up for business gave the experience a quaint, old-world feel. I highly recommend this hotel for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

I stayed at the El Cordova for a long weekend. At check in I was given a comp upgrade from a standard room to a suite with 2 bathrooms and since there were 2 of us that worked out great. The bedroom was good size and nice clean comfortable bedding, the room was very clean with ceiling fans and AC. The furnishings are not fabulous but for the price they were just fine. The location is what makes this place perfect it's right across the street from the beach and right across the street from the famous Hotel Del Coronado. There are any number of places to dine and drink within walking distance of the hotel and the staff are happy to recomend. All in all it was a very nice hotel and very good value.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ljcskmv
Beverly, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

I booked a four day getaway to reconnect with a cousin and a friend that I haven't seen in years. I've never been to San Diego so I took a chance on Coronado and The El Cordova.
Coronado is very nice place to stay and close to the city.El Cordova is a large property convenient to shopping, eateries and only minutes to the bridge. My first impression of my room was that it was a good size but needed updating and cleaning ecspecially for the price I paid. After further inspection I found the bedroom and bathroom much nicer than the other two rooms. The bed was very comfortable and the staff were great.Would have been nice if parking was free although meters were only .25 an hour and free after 6 and Sundays.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Three professional colleagues and I spend four nights at the El Cordova to attend a seminar at the Del Coronado, which is nice but expensive and pretentious with unpredictable room assignments that have led to disappointment in the past. El Cordova was delightful, with comfortable rooms, unique decor, and convenient cafes nearby. We had crepes, Mexican food and drink, and seafood at the various restaurants in the building and were very pleased. Parking the rental car was convenient and reasonably priced.

Beautiful courtyard. Even the street side rooms were quiet and comfortable.

We are all going to return!

Jim

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jim K
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

We booked online for $89 and got placed in room 103. To say we were surprised by the size is an understatement. It is about the size of a small apartment. Bedroom had 4-point king size mattress with flat screen tv. Living room was huge, wih wall mounted flat screen, reading nook by window and pullout couch. It had a fullsize kitchen with a breakfest nook on the side. The bathroom was good size but toilet was against door and felt cramped. My wife and i laughed that the both of us could live here. My in-laws were placed in Unit 51. This was a bottom floor unit by the court yard. They didnt have a breakfest nook, but a table off the kitchen. Their living room was big with a HUGE flat screen tv mounted ona wall mount. Neither room has any sort of a view but only a few rooms are faced towards the Del Corinado. And lets face it, you dont spend that much time in the room. The various staff i meet were friendly. For parking, you can do meter parking (a quarter gives an hour), with either 2hr or 4hr meters availble. You only have to pump in quarters until 6 pm, and then start again at 8 am. There is some side parking that is not metered, but we just paid the meter as we got a spot right across from the hotel. There is also an underground parking lot for $8 with unlimited in/out privileges (we were staying only 1 day so it was cheaper to stay on the street). You cant beat the location - near all the stores, and across the street from the beach,

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank tac0matraveler
Seattle, WA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

The village of Coronado is a wonderful place to visit, especially if you need a sunny destination for the holidays. We decided to try the El Cordova because of the good Trip Advisor reviews and the advertized winter rate of $99 per night for a one bedroom suite. Upon arrival the room we were first given was a very sub-par room (#116). It was probably the worst room in the hotel and was located off the back alley of the hotel, behind the laundry room and up a dark set of stairs. When we walked into room #116 we were stunned that this shabby room was to be our accommodation. My husband’s only comment was “Yikes!”

I thought, “Well let’s give this another try . . .” and promptly went back to the front desk to seek out a better room. As we trudged back from our Siberian room #116 to the front desk I could peak into completely normal and nice looking rooms. The desk clerk was pleasant enough but his position was that we had reserved a “standard” room and room #116 was “standard”. I countered that even as we spoke the hotel’s website was showing a one bedroom suite for $99 and that room 116 was not pictured. I was then shown a slightly better room (#33) and told the rate would be $109 per night. Since we had been traveling since early morning I just gave up and took the second room at the higher rate. Normally, I would have whined and argued and insisted on the advertized deal but I just wasn’t up to it. So my advice to anyone considering this hotel is to watch out especially if they try to stick you with room 116. “Bait & Switch” – you decide.

On the day we checked out a different clerk was at the desk. When she asked, “How was your stay?” I blabbed and complained about the “switch”. Latter in the day I received an email from her letting me know I would only be charged $99 per night.

The good aspects of this hotel: It is a classic 1920s Spanish building with an excellent restaurant/cantina located on the premises and some of the rooms do appear to be completely renovated (room #51 would be a good choice). The location of this hotel is perfect for exploring the town and it is just a very short walk to the beach.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank NWBallardTraveler
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2011
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am shocked to hear about your experience with the front desk. I would like to personally apologize for failing to deliver the high level service that I expect of my entire staff. I will take your comments and use them for retraining of the front desk staff.

I also believe that the Standard rooms of our property offer a great value to guests who love the location, but cannot afford the higher rated suites of Coronado. However there is some good news about our smaller rooms. El Cordova Hotel is planning to renovate several of the smaller rooms on property in 2012. We hope to complete renovations before the summer. Therefore I invite you to revisit our property this summer and check out our fresh new look.

Thanks for staying with us!

Mica Jackson
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

We had 4 rooms for our wedding party and all the rooms were as big as a small apartments. Right accross the street from The Del, we walked to our wedding location on the beach in 5 minutes. There is a Mexican restaurant right in the middle of the Hotel so if you dont like people or noise, you may want to be a bit more selective about which room you get. We loved the constant people watching and noise so it wasnt even an issue with us. Had a great time and would recommend this place to anybody.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family