“Coronado”
Review of El Cordova Hotel

El Cordova Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 10 April 2012

After the reviews on trip advisor, I became a little concerned, needless to say, I e-mailed my concerns and request (I changed from a standard room to a one bedroom with living room and kitchnette) and asked to be on the ground floor. I appreciated the front desk supervisor responding to my request via e-mail. I really appreciated that and it showed me that they care about their customers. What i didn't know was that there is a room above you. Unfortunately, I had kids above early on Sunday morning..., but in spite of that, the stay was wonderful. There is no parking with the hotel, but was given a paper to go to a parking lot across the street, for $8, however it was full.I ended up parking several blocks away. (nice walk--beautiful views)

One note, in the entire room, there was only one mirror, and that was in the bathroom. I would just ask for more mirrors throughout especially if you are travelling with someone. A girls has got to do their makeup.
Since I was in room 59, it was next to the Miguelito's Restaurant, so it got noisy, but again, it was not a big deal.
I found the staff, ambience and accomodations to be great. I have no problem in recommending this hotel. I will post pictures later.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 April 2012

SUPER SURPRISE

My wife and I spent a weekend at historic El Cordova Hotel, anticipating that there might be a problem since it was Easter, spring break, and a lot of congestion predicted. No problem materialized, at least not with the hotel, which we found to be an absolute gem! We were greeted warmly, and were very pleased with the location, property and our spacious room (#93) on the second floor of the 2-story hotel. The room was clean, and the Spanish architecture and unexpected beautiful tilework in the room were only part of the story. Like most travelers, we hope for a nice window and view. This room had SIX windows and pleasant views from all, but was easily darkened by full drapes for sleeping. We particularly enjoyed the view into the courtyard below that gave the appearance of a peek into Spain. The two restaurants on site (Brigantine seafood and Miguel’s mexican Cocina) gave us great dining options. The location across the street from the historic Del Coronado and its stunning beach is one of the best in all of southern California, and is an easy springboard to San Diego sites such as the 15 major museums at Balboa Park (which we visited). I could go on and on-- the separate dining area and mini-kitchen, the large bathtub and shower, etc.-- but I would be taking away the surprise in fun discoveries. The $150 per night rate was in keeping with others in the area, and we will look forward to a return and longer stay.

Room Tip: We preferred the second story room and considered the stairs as something you would expect in a 100...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by your stay at our property. We try to offer our guests a unique experience with our Spanish hacienda style. You will not find another property similar to us in Coronado. I hope that we will see you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

The stay was pleasant and comfortable. An older facility but clean and functional, great location to restaurants and convention site across the street at the "Del". If you want high prices, glitz and glamour this is not your place, a great value for the money, I would definitely stay at the Hotel again.

Room Tip: Upstairs corner suite is wonderful.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend trip. I got a tremendous AAA off-season rate of $89. I can't even imagine staying here with the summer prices. It is super close to everything, and our room was in the back and quiet, however, it was pretty funky and small. The shower was so narrow I couldn't bend over, and had to lower my knees to pick up the shampoo. No counter space in the bathroom, so you either use the back of the toilet, or next to the bed. The mattress was fine, firm enough. Imagine my surprise when I found a previous guests UNDERWEAR on the floor in the closet!!! I realize it's dark in the closet, and the undies were tiny and black, but that just should not happen. It was good for a laugh since I'm usually in a good mood when I'm on vacation. Rated "average" for location and price.

Room Tip: Avoid the 116/117/118 rooms if you can, those are the smallest.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MiniCoopers1972
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Thank you for the review of our property. I am pleased to know that you took advantage of our off season rates. We always try to encourage travelers to visit our area during the slower times. It is a great time to see the tourist sites of Coronado, and enjoy the theme parks of San Diego.

I am very surprised to hear about your experience in your room. Cleanliness is a top priority of mine and I would like more information concerning your stay. I invite you to contact the hotel and ask for me personally so that I may address and resolve this issue. Thank you.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

We were in Coronado for a family wedding. Loved the courtyard feel and easy access to shops, great restaurants and beach. Miguels Restaurant and Bino's Coffee and Wine Bar are right in the hotel, tried Miguels for dinner and Bino's for breakfast and were very happy with the food and service. The "old world" charm and feel to the rooms added a great atmosphere. Downside, no business center or computer access unless you bring your own. Small bathrooms. ENJOY!

Room Tip: We had a 1 bedroom apartment, #15 and loved the size, high ceilings, and windows that opened to the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from staying at the El Cordova Hotel. We were in room #118 for 2 nights , a standard room at the back of the hotel up the stairs in a corner. The room had been redone with fresh paint the color of cantalope, new carpeting and a new bed. I checked for bedbugs and found no sign of them around the mattress. The windows were new as was the toilet and pedestal sink. The small shower was done with California tiles. Very pretty. A new TV hung on the wall. The bathroom is very small. Additional hooks on the walls would be helpful . The room itself is small but adequate. A nightstand, 2 dressers and a wooden chair were in the room. We were there for our son's wedding on the beach across from the Del so only used the room to sleep and get ready. I found the new queen bed very comfortable. This room was also very quiet. We especially loved the ambiance of the place. OLD CALIFORNIA but with new stuff. The courtyard BBQ area was lovely. It had 2 Tropitone (manufacture) tables each having 4 chairs around them to enjoy the area. We played cards there for awhile. Flowers all in bloom. Large banana trees (no bananas) were around the area too. I thought the pool location was fine. Looked clean and nice size. The entire complex looked as if it had just been painted (outside). Many windows had been replaced with new. Men were washing the tile walking areas. A water feature was there also. The entire place is in an excellent location and kept up very well. We had margaritas and appetizers at the Mexican restaurant. The best margaritas ever!!! You could grab coffee or tea in the lobby (free) and just sit and enjoy the courtyard. We loved this place as did our daughter and son in law. They were in room #116. I don't think that one had been througly renovated yet. We will definately stay here again when in the San Diego area. I loved it! My girlfriend had room #53, a one bedroom, kitchen, bath and living room. Was very nice right off the courtyard.

Room Tip: Room #118 was quiet and bright. 2 new windows in the room and 1 in the bathroom.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We walked in to the room which was up many, many steps and found ourselves in a place with VERY dirty carpeting. Also, in the closet was a piece of wood on wheels which was leaning against the wall covered in dust balls...large ones! We had a quick dinner and returned to find myself staring at a very large cockroach. We packed up and left immediately. It's too bad because it had a European feel. I think a major problem is the restaurants that are right there...food, animals, etc. Also, the pool was in a very strange place....by restaurants.....felt out in the open but we didn't stay long enough to ever use it....we left immediately! The management should really take a look at these reviews and do something about it. It sounds like the family review before us stayed in the same room.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
MicaJackson, Jerry Brooks, Principal, RAR Hotel Management at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

At El Cordova and all of our hotels, we strive to maintain quality and cleanliness at all times. We are terribly sorry that you experienced one of our rooms that has not yet been refreshed with new carpet. This particular room will be taken out of service until the new carpet arrives. The steps to the room add charm to some but we understand that not everyone appreciates walking up to a room. Yes, we are historic, so character and charm must be weighed against newer hotels in the market, but we really wish you'd give us another chance. Contact us anytime and we can arrange your return so that we can show you your visit was a fluke, not a typical problem. And we promise a first floor room!