“Adorable place for the price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of El Cordova Hotel

El Cordova Hotel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Adorable place for the price!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I really enjoyed this place for the price - it had so much character, and the corridors between the buildings gave it a really fun European-type feel! I especially liked that I could walk from my room to the restaurants in the complex without having to venture out onto the main street - it made me feel much safer at night!

With that said, I think the three-star rating is accurate. Although I couldn't have asked for a better staff and the rooms were very clean, it is an old building with older-style decor. Some areas could probably benefit from renovation. Just don't go in expecting a Hilton or a Marriott

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

This hotel was very convenient to the Hotel Del, the beach, and to all the shops and restaurants in the area. Although the property is old, it is slowly being remodeled, and it has a bunch of charm. The 1 and 2 bedroom suites are nice size, and very comfortable. Because the hotel is right in the middle of everything, you can hear noise from the street. If you are very sensitive to that, then make sure to let the staff know, and they’ll get you an interior room. Maria, Christina, and the rest of the team were great. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeremy P
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

I really wanted to like this Hotel. I knew from the reviews that it was going to be a quirky hotel. I was expecting shabby chic. Unfortunately it was just shabby. The rooms really need to be fully renovated, with new carpet, new windows and a new bathroom. When we turned the shower on I'm sure people sitting in the restaurant below, wondered what the loud noise was. The bed was really hard. The staff were lovely and the maids did the best they could, but this Hotel just needs a complete renovation.

• Stayed September 2012
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I always appreciate any and all feedback that we receive from our guests. I am sorry to hear that you didn’t like the room that you stayed in. We recognize that the property is very old and this is why we are in the process of renovating all of our rooms. Our last phase of renovations ended last May, where we completed 14 rooms. This fall we are working on an additional two rooms which should be completed by the end of the year. At this point, 70% of the rooms on this property will have been renovated in the past 3 years.

I invite you to stay with us again and check out our new rooms. We have a great designer who captures the essence of “Spanish Hacienda”! We constantly strive to be the best boutique hotel in not just Coronado, but all of San Diego!
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2012

We were just here for a week with our family (the two of us and our three year old) and we have loved the location and the hotel. You get a great bang for your buck and has small personalized service. I want to mention Jay and Christine as they both stood out but everyone here was awesome. My only dislike was the noise in our room as we had the restaurant on one side and the road on the other. As there is no AC and we lucked out with some abnormally hot days you had a choice to roast or it is so loud it drives you a little bonkers. Still a great room and we are already considering when we could return.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for the review of the hotel. I am glad that my staff made your stay a memorable one. However, I would like to make one correction concerning our rooms. Every one of the guest rooms at the El Cordova Hotel has heating and air conditioning in it. I would like to find out if yours was not functioning properly so that we can fix it for the next guest that uses the room. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your stay. You can also call me when you are ready to stay with us again. We love our return guests!!
North Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

I had been to Coronado twice before, and stayed at the El Cordova one previous time (I was young, and didn't remember much about it.) My husband and I just returned from a nine day trip, and had a great time. The hotel was clean, staff was friendly, the grounds were fun, and the rooms were unique. I love that there are shops and restaurants so close by. I would recommend a better continental breakfast- perhaps set something up down in the patio area? We found that the staff at the breakfast location was not overly friendly, even on days where we paid for breakfast. But, a few other travel tips: Things that we loved and that were totally worth it: Balboa Park, San Diego Zoo, Chez Loma (!!!), Little Piggy's BBQ, Gaslamp Quarter and Westfield Mall, Ferry Ride, Boardwalk, Ferry Landing, USS Midday Tour, Candy Place on Orange Street, Mootime, Art Museum at Balboa, Botanical Gardens, Miguel's, Basement of the Del Shops, Things we did not love: The Tavern (gross food, cool environment lured us in.) Price of Seaworld is INSANE, Prices at some of the museums at Balboa are also insane and not worth it, La Jolla- crowded, price of parking is pretty intense some places. Overall, we had a great great time! The weather was great!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Great place! I really enjoyed this hotel and the service was excellent. I would recommend this to my friends and family. I was here on business so i didn't really get to see much, but bed was nice and room was spacious.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank schuey91
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am sorry that you did not get to experience everything that El Cordova has to offer. The next time that you are here on business, I suggest having lunch at the Brigantine Seafood restaurant. It is a great place to host a business lunch and has some of the best seafood on the island. My personal favorite is the fried calamari and jumbo shrimp. We hope to see you again real soon.
Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

I was VERY impressed with this hotel. The staff was exceptionally wonderful to our wedding guests that stayed there for our spring 2012 wedding. Our guests basically used every hotel room and they had nothing but wonderful things to say about their stay at this charming hotel. All the hotel rooms are updated and very nice. We loved that there was always coffee or tea in the lobby. I also had a very good experience with the general manager with planning the hotel room block. He was very flexible and always available by phone or email. In other words, very charming hotel that is a great place to have your wedding guests stay if you are planning a wedding on Coronado Island. Or, if you are just looking for a place to "get away" this hotel is in an amazing location and you would not need a car to enjoy the Island.

A little bit more information about the hotel: This historic hotel is tucked within the shops kiddy corner from Hotel Del and across the street from the beach. It reminds me of a Spanish hotel with the two story, outdoor hallways with cobble stone pathways and a courtyard for a small gathering. There is a pool and hot tub area with grills. We saw a deluxe standard, one bedroom suite and the Casa Grande. It has Mexican decor with stone floors and Mexican tiles. The one bed room suite has a separate bedroom, a living room with a pull out couch and small kitchen. All rooms overlook the courtyard/pool area. Attached to a Mexican restaurant with bar and margarita specials which are DELICIOUS!, On one side the Mexican restaurant is also a coffee shop with a side-street cafe. Also attached is the Brigantine, a seafood restaurant where we had our rehearsal dinner and the food was amazing. The staff at the restaurant was also so friendly, flexible and helpful with our planning. HIGHLY recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family