“Character hotel in Coronado”
Review of El Cordova Hotel

El Cordova Hotel
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 24 April 2013

I just returned from a 4 day, 3 night stay at the El Cordova. This review might get lengthy so be prepared.

This hotel is very cute, has lots of character. It used to be a mansion for the people who built the Del and then converted to a hotel sometime later. I booked a 2 bedroom suite for 3 women. There was plenty of room, though when we left in the mornings we sneaked peeks in the rooms that were being cleaned and the single rooms are small. Our room was up a set of stairs on the corner of Orange Ave, across the stree from the Del. Overall, our suite was very nice. There were 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom and a sitting area. We really only had 1.5 complaints total, which I'll detail out below.

Bedrooms: I didn't stay in either bedroom but the people who did said the beds were comfortable and had no complaints. Both rooms had flat screen tvs, one room had a king and the other a queen.

Bathroom: Was on the small side but work-able. Counter space was hard to come by, especially for 3 women but we made it work. I read complaints from others about the water temp, I was worried but ended up not needing to be. Basically you get a squirt of very hot water, just enough for you to step away from the water and then it goes back to how you had it. Not a big deal. Our one huge complaint for the entire stay was there wasn't any ventilation in the bathroom and it was a big steamy mess. There was a vent but it never turned on, which made for an uncomfortable post-shower experience.

Kitchen: functional but relatively small. It had an oven, microwave and refrigerator with a little table and bench seat. Not a place you'll be cooking gourmet meals but it works, which is all we needed. The refrigerator was great to have and we occasionally made breakfast on the stove. Kitchen comes with utensils, plates, glasses, etc.

Sitting room: had 2 chairs, a couch, desk and flat screen tv. I slept on the pull-out couch, which was fine. It had a sheet on it and another one folded up inside. There were 2 extra pillows stored in one of the bedrooms but no other blankets so the next morning on the way out I stopped by the front desk and requested one, which was in the room when we got back later that day. It's a pull out couch, it's not hugely comfortable but I don't think any type of that "bed" is and I slept fine.

Overall, the room was good. It had central heat/air which was great but the best thing was all the ceiling fans. Those really helped circulate air and keep the rooms comfortable.

Our other half complaint was the noise. I had called before arriving and asked if our room was near the restaurant in the hotel and was told it wasn't. Well, most of the rooms have some sort of proximity to the outside restaurant patio and all those people drinking at night get loud. I'd say it was worst for us on Saturday night, as half our room faced the patio and we were right on the small alley that people entered and exited the restaurant. The restaurant area closed about 9:30 I think and I'd say by 10:30 it was pretty quiet. However, our room was also over the steak and seafood restaurant as well so we could hear all those people on the patio, plus after they closed there was lots of table and chair scraping as the area was cleaned up. Since we were on the corner of Orange, there was also a lot of noise from people waiting to cross and on the week day morning, A LOT of loud motorcycles/cars were driving around quite early (6a-ish). Not something the hotel can control I know, but it's good to know about. It wasn't a huge dealbreaker for us, just annoying to have people being so loud after we were exhausted from being out all day. Good quality double or triple pane windows would cut down on that I bet.

We received coupons for a free breakfast at the crepe place a few doors down and we were rather unimpressed. The complimentary breakfast consisted of whole apples and oranges, some sweet breads, packets of oatmeal and rice krispies. There was also juice and coffee. You could also order off the menu and get $4 off/person so we did that, which was a mistake. None of us are crepe-lovers anyway so they offered to make an omelet and it was tiny. Tiny tiny! We never went back as it wasn't our thing.

Parking is not a big deal like some people make it out to be. I parked on a side street just around the corner for free and never had an issue with finding a spot. There are also meters right in front of the hotel.

We really liked staying here, great proximity to restaurants and the beach. Can't beat the price either!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Karen L

Reviewed 22 April 2013

this place was pretty nice looking on the outside, pool was nice, hot tub, building exterior, but once you got inside it was like being in a cheap seedy hotel. the floor boards squeaked every step you took, the headboard was vinyl and the walls so thin i could hear the guy above me taking care of himself in the morning....pretty disgusting. the parking was also a joke, we opted for the underground parking across the street which said we'd be towed if we didn't pay, but the gate was open and there was no way to pay. the next day we had to keep checking our vehicle to make sure it was still there. the breakfast in the morning was passable but left some to be desired; felt like we were sharks waiting for someone to bring the next tray out...honestly everyone was hungrily waiting to eat.

Room Tip: bottom floor was convenient but VERY LOUD!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank varvie
MicaJackson, General Manager at El Cordova Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

Thank for you reviewing our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. I have spoken with the management of the parking garage. The garage is being set up to be completely automated. All guests are required to pay the posted rates for the garage. If the gate was left open, then there must have been a mechanical issue with its operation. We invite all guests to inform the front desk when there is a question concerning the parking garage.

I have also spoken with the owner of the creperie. He assures me that he will examine the breakfast procedure to ensure that all guests are properly served. The owner also welcomes all guests to inform management when there is an issue with the food or service in the restaurant.

Lastly, I would like to note that even though this is an old property (built in 1902), we are constantly working to improve the building. We are currently in the middle of upgrading our plumbing system and plan to renovate more rooms next year. I invite you to contact me personally so that I can show you a better experience than before.

Thanks again for staying at the El Cordova Hotel.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

It's always wonderful at El Cordova. The only issue was the shower was not draining very well. I also received a great haircut from Elaine at Shear Perfection. Miguel's is always delicious. I look forward to my next stay!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2013

i loved this place! its right across the street from the del, and its got a great restaurant right inside the hotel courtyard. CAUTION - this restaurant is not so great if you hope to loose weight.

and the Margaritas there are excellent!

and the room is very comfortable... i could go on and on!

my only "issue" - the internet has problems. it works great in the lobby. but then again, if you want great internet service, stay home. you are there to enjoy Coronado!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank arizona-mark
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Great location with easy access to beach, marina, shops and dining. No hotel parking, so ask ahead about options. Room was very comfortable. Noise from restaurant patio dining, but ended at a reasonable time. No elevators. The plants and flowers in the courtyard were beautiful. Enjoyed staying in a hotel that was unique. Well worth considering.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for the review of our hotel. I would like to point out the current parking options for our guests. Guests may opt to use the secured parking garage directly across the street. The rates may vary depending on the season. Guest can also park at the metered spots around the hotel. The meters are on from 8 AM to 6 PM and allow overnight parking at no charge. The final option is the park in the neighborhood directly behind the hotel. Any guest may contact the hotel for more information on our parking options.

Thanks again for staying and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 29 March 2013

El Cordova is small, unique and has character. It's not glisteningly perfect everywhere, which is what gives it its charm. The newer, cookie-cutter luxury hotels lack a personal feel. Our room was one of the least expensive, and I'd say my main letdown would have to be the bathroom because it was just so incredibly small. It was hard to have toiletries out, even for just the two of us. There also needs to be a bit more soundproofing of the doors because late-nighters did wake me up. Still, I loved the place. The pool, the courtyard, the birds everywhere. Such character. And we were within walking distance of everything we wanted -- the beach, the shops, the restaurants and even the best places to go running.

Room Tip: The smaller rooms are a deal, but the quarters are tight. I'd opt for the ones with larger bathr...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2013

My husband and daughter just returned from a 5 night stay at the El Cordova. It was a really special Daughter and Dad vacation and the El Cordova was a great hotel for them to hang out at the Beach, Explore San Diego and the California Cost. Both loved the hotel. The location, the rooms, the pool everything. They had no complaints and my husband is already planning to take me back there. (I cant wait). The only reason he would give the sleep quality an average is because he slept on the sofa bed. Not at all to his liking.

Room Tip: They had a pool side 1 bedroom suite with sofa bed.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family