“Awesome beach” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Silver Strand State Beach

Silver Strand State Beach
Ranked #5 of 38 things to do in Coronado
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the most beautiful beaches in the San Diego area, the Silver Strand Beach State Park is on the southern coast of Coronado.
Chicago, IL
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awesome beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is walkable from our hotel and is a beautiful public beach. Loved being able to walk there from our loews hotel. Beach is actually nicer by the coronado del.

Visited June 2014

15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Seashell overload”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Sooooooo many shells to collect. The only thing that was a downer was the $10 for parking and a lot of annoying flies

1 Thank Nicole D
Coronado, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Its nice..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

Its a nice beach, but they don't clean it everyday like the Coronado beach. Its on the strand, there is less people but no place to find food. Bring your food with you.

Visited May 2014
Palatine, IL
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“AWESOME shell/sand dollar collecting for kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

We made a day trip here from Lake Elsinore. I was determined to let my Chicago-based brood find shells!! After much late-night, last-minute research, this seemed the only close beach where we could find & keep shells. The warnings were "go early, or else you won't find any shells". Well, we got there at 1pm (this is ~April 8). Paid our $6 for 2 hours of parking, and walked straight onto the beach. The beach was not crowded at all, as it was a school day. We set up chairs, towels, and immediately, the black flies SWARMED. I mean so many it was disgusting!

BRING BUG SPRAY. Not for you, for your belongings!

The water - waves were decent, not bad enough my 7-yr old couldn't go knee-deep and my 4-yr old waded just above the ankles. remember, we are from Chicago, we don't boogie board and are naturally bred to fear waves and the ocean! The water was COLD. After an hour, my feet/calves were so numb it didn't bother me. Close to 2, the waves started rolling in harder, kept knocking the kids down!

Shells - There were SO MANY shells, I couldn't believe it. My kids had a blast picking up shells for their "collection". They loved that the water literally sparkled gold/silver. My 7-yr old had great success finding sand dollars too - about ankle deep when the water rolls back out, she'd grab them. I think we left with 40 Sand dollars in total. About ankle-deep, there is a layer of shells. Really, absolutely no worries about not finding enough. Really nice ones - good variety in color/shapes. Outside of being regulars to Disneyland, this was probably their favorite thing all week they did during our trip. They are BEGGING to go back to this same beach to get more shells during our next trip.

I gave it 4 stars, not 5, mainly because of the black sand flies basically attacking us/our stuff on the beach (not so much by the water). It does take determination to get to this beach if you are visiting ... it is not a quick drive once you get onto the island. And, I didn't like that we had to pay - $6/2 hours; $10 all day (I think it was $10 all day).

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Heybets30
Macungie, Pennsylvania
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Nice Visit to the Silver a Strand Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

The Silver a Strand Beach is a nice stretch of beach and it does have a silver shimmer to it in the sunlight. I am a shell collector and I found some nice shells on this beach to add to my collection! I didn't make low tide, but I still found some great treasures! It did have a lot of sea kelp and seaweed on the beach, which did draw sand flies, but I stayed clear of those areas and I didn't have any issues. We payed to park, but it was worth the visit....especially if you enjoy shelling!

Visited April 2014