“Avoid the "mini Queen"”

and 1 more site!
Crown City Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 13 February 2013

My wife & I stayed here 12 February 2013. As others have written, the desk staff is exceptional. We dealt with three clerks and each was magnificent. Coronado is small; inn location is good. The Bistro seems expensive, but the whole island is so. My issues may be specific to me:

1. The booking was "queen". We were in 108, which I assume to be a mini-queen; used to a Cal KIng, we found this very small.

2. The door has a built in blind. It does not make for a dark room.

3. It is an older building, and this night we had a college-aged swim team staying. I hope they are more graceful swimming than they were walking over my head.

I have not stayed in other Coronado inns & hotels. Perhaps this is exceptional. We found the staff exceptional, but the experience ordinary.

Room Tip: Avoid 108 if darkness is important to you.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ByllD
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

Thanks for sending in your comments. We have mini queen (room slightly smaller & at lower price), queen, and king rooms. I appreciate your feedback for the door blinds...I will look into a shade to darken the room better. I'm sorry you had issues with the swim team. We found them to be very well behaved, but walking back and forth above can be tricky to overcome. I hope if you try us again, you'll reserve a room with a king, and find it roomy enough for you.

Reviewed 24 December 2012

We booked a stay at the Crown City Inn for our first stay at Coronado Island, and we were not disappointed. I was a bit skeptical at first, because the price of this place is so much lower than other hotels on Coronado. Although the motel itself is not overly fancy, it is centrally located, has a quaint feel and is all around charming. The rooms were renovated not too long ago, and were comfortable and spacious enough for my wife and I.

We were thrilled to learn the motel provides bicycles to guests, free of charge, and we took this opportunity to explore the island.

The motel even has a small restaurant, which we tried on the last night of our stay, and were thoroughly impressed.

I would definitely recommend this place to others looking for a great budget motel on Coronado Island.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmtphx
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2013

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Crown City Inn, and all we have to offer. It is so nice to be out in the beautiful Coronado weather on a bike, seeing all the quaint houses, shops, and restaurants, and of course the bay and beach. We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

It was an easy walk down to the hotel Del for the Christmas show The walk home at the end of the evening was magical with all the trees lit up. At 1 quarter of the cost of the hotel Dels rooms we have plenty of money left over for food and drink

• Stayed: December 2012

Thanks so much for your response. Christmas in Coronado is unlike any other with the Hotel Del Coronado and Orange Avenue lit up with lights, the San Diego boat parade, the Coronado Christmas parade, and the Holiday Open House at all the businesses. We love to be able to offer a place to stay for a reasonable price. We hope to see you again next Christmas, or sometime before that!

Reviewed 24 November 2012

My husband, baby, and I stayed at the Crown City Inn together January 2012. We requested a room close to the pool and they were happy to do it. When we arrived the staff were friendly and helped us out by moving us away from other guests, without moving us from the pool, so our crying baby wouldn't bother them. LOL. She only cried a little but still I didn't want to bother anyone.

At tea time we had yummy coffee with cream and the BEST butterscotch blondies I've ever tasted. I've tried to recreate them at home but I haven't been able to. I asked the friendly staff where they got them and they said a local makes them. How cute!

The room was really clean and the bathroom was nice. The bed was comfortable and the cleaning service was great. I have stayed in many hotels in Coronado from the best western to the hotel del Cordova (and many in between) and this has been, BY FAR, my favorite.

Our baby got sick a day before we were going to check out and we had to leave immediately. The staff were completely understanding and refunded out last day. Not only was this hotel the best I've stayed at they have also been the least expensive. This is truly a jewel!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

I'm so glad everything was to your liking during your stay at Crown City Inn! We all hope you'll come back soon to enjoy it again. Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 19 November 2012

We stayed here Nov 16-18. Great staff, clean comfortable rooms, & updated bathroom. I agree with another reviewer, updated comforters would definitely make it more modern. We would totally stay here again! Loved it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

I'm so happy you liked the Crown City Inn. I'm also glad you had a chance to eat at the Crown Bistro during your stay. It really is a great place to eat! We hope to see you again sometime soon.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights while visiting Coronado Island and San Diego. It was very clean and well maintained. Bathroom nicely updated!
The Bistro Cafe was excellent, get the waffle with strawberries..
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We just stayed here on Sunday, Oct. 14th and loved this place. It's an older hotel but very well maintained and the bathrooms are remodeled. The beds could use new comforters to make it look more modern and it had a slightly musty smell as it was older, but those were the only negatives. They have cookies, tea & coffee in the lobby and even had welcome bags for the kids, full of fun toys and activities. Our favorite thing about the hotel was the free use of the beach bikes. We rode all over Coronado and went to the beach. The price was great as it was off-season, but we lucked out because the temperature was perfect! We will definetely go back here.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for your great review of the Crown City Inn. I'm glad you were able to enjoy some of our extras--cookies, kid's bags, and bicycles. Thanks also for your feedback on the idea of updating our comforters. I do happen to agree with you that they need an upgrade. I hope by the next time you visit, you will see that change!