“Solo and no car...”

and 1 more site!
Crown City Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed for 4 nights in mid-March and enjoyed this hotel very much. Friendly and helpful staff. I was alone and had room 108, which another reviewer said was pretty bright at night. It was somewhat, but I did not mind. The room was clean and comfortable, big towels, great shower, convenient microwave and fridge. Shopped at Boney's Bayside Market which was only a few blocks away-great market. One reason I picked this hotel was that they offer free bikes to ride. Oddly enough, I did not use one, but walked around the island instead. It is easy walking, beautiful neighborhoods and so many shops and eateries along and around Orange Ave. I had breakfast a couple mornings at this hotel's Bistro, and it was wonderful.
The pool area is small, kind of a token it seemed-if you are big on swimming, which I wasn't this trip. The only thing I missed was that there are no balconies to sit on, but the reasonable price of the room made up for that.
During my stay I took public transportation all the time...the MTS from the airport to the ferry, and the ferry to Coronado. There is a bus stop right out front of the hotel. The San Diego Metro Transit System is well run and underused, imo. Just purchase a "Compass Card" for 2.00 and fill it for 1-4 (or more) days passes. Just costs 4 or 5 dollars a day, to ride all day on busses and trolleys, all over the San Diego area.
I certainly would stay at this hotel again, can't wait to return to SD!

Room Tip: The room was a little noisy from the renter's above at times. You may want to consider the secon...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
10  Thank Marti P

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Sometimes I worry about places that say they're "pet friendly" because some places think that's an excuse to have shabby, dirty rooms. The Crown City Inn was nothing like that. The room was clean and spacious, it was nice to have a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The bathroom amenities were really nice, the towels were so soft and fluffy. The tea and coffee selection was great. They welcomed our dogs with open arms, and treats! They provided a list of dog-friendly places and services in the area. There was some traffic sound from the street out front, but earplugs helped. We didn't have an opportunity to use the free bicycles, but we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank shinysideout
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thanks so much for your review. We keep ALL of our rooms as clean and fresh as possible--including the "pet rooms." When I used to travel with my own dog, I disliked it so much because we'd end up with an old, smoky room. I vowed never to do that here at Crown City Inn. I'm also glad you enjoyed the rest of what we offer too!

Reviewed 26 February 2014

What a great place to stay for your pooch and family when visiting San Diego. The property, though older, is clean and fairly updated. The management couldn't be nicer regarding dog hospitality with a doggie welcome gift bag. The restaurant on site is very nice and makes arriving later in the day a pleasure..just call in for room service or a pick up order. The bikes are free, somewhat old, but serviceable and safe. We will definitely stay here again...much better than some non-descript Mission Valley chain motel that charges for dogs and parking. Much better to pay a tad more, escape to Coronado, and feel like everyone in the family is welcome.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BunkieFL

I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and I agree wholeheartedly that staying in Coronado is better than in Mission Valley--even if you're not staying with us. We very much enjoy our animal guests, and I'm glad you all felt welcome here. With the few specific rules we have regarding animals, I think (and other non pet owners say) that it works. Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed the week of January 18th; wonderful staff, very helpful! The small touches are what sets this small property apart: the tea/coffee/homemade cookies every afternoon, the bikes for free use, the nice choice of soaps in the room; towels on the lounges around the pool, clean easy to use washer/dryer area, beautiful landscaping. Our room was completely renovated with a new shower/bathroom- a big surprise. Easy to walk to everything- the main square is 1/2 mile away, an easy walk with many choices for breakfast. The Bistro attached was overpriced compared to everything else in Coronado; for a simple breakfast there is a Panera or Claytons Coffee shop in the square; try Tent City for a fantastic breakfast that has 5 star quality. Definitely the best choice in town for a small hotel! Don't miss picking shells at low tide on the Strand or walking on Dog Beach.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank YaMon

Thanks so much for your review. It's nice for us to hear what you like, and we appreciate you're being specific so other potential guests know too. We hope to see you again sometime soon!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We stayed here this week (last week of December, 2013) and had a marvelous time. The reviews are accurate: clean rooms (with local coffee, tea, and hot chocolate), refrigerator, microwave, iced tea and cookies in the lobby in the afternoon, coffee 24/7. The bathroom in our room had been redone and was great (slate tile, etc.). We borrowed bikes and rode the Coronado bike trail for a couple of hours. It's ~1/2 mile to all the shops/restaurants on Orange St. but an easy, easy walk. Free parking, free wifi, comfortable beds. It's not a resort, so if that's what you want, I'd go somewhere else. But I would head back in a heartbeat!

p.s. Crown City bistro (attached to the inn) is excellent! We had one of the best breakfasts I've had in recent memory (and I'm sort of a food snob).

Room Tip: My sense is that they are all good, but if you're a super light sleeper ask for a room away fro...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank cotomwed
melissawm, Owner at Crown City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Happy New Year! I'm so glad you were able to stay with us on your vacation, and very glad you enjoyed what we have to offer. Your comment about Crown City Inn not being a fancy resort is correct--we are small, simple, clean, affordable. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

On our recent Christmas vacation, we just couldn't bear to leave. Fortunately for us, the Crown City Inn happily accommodated us AND our fur kids for the night. Although the rooms are small, they are very clear and comfy with nice extras like a microwave and refrigerator, plus FREE parking! That's a biggie on Coronado. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will happily go back the next chance we have.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Cuz29

It was beautiful weather this year over the holidays! I'm so glad you were able to stay longer, and enjoy your holiday. Thanks for the kind review, and I'm hoping to see you sometime soon--maybe when the weather starts heating up in the desert....

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Close to shopping, free parking, free wifi, updated bathrooms, great showers, refrigerator and microwave. Great Bistro attached, easy walk to pubs, shopping and easy to locate on Orange Ave. Free resident bike loaners.

Room Tip: Didn't ask for fitness center or Spa, do not know if they have one. Not needed as the weather al...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam C
melissawm, Manager at Crown City Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

I appreciate your having taken the time to write a review and a detailed one at that! To answer your question about whether we have a fitness room/spa; unfortunately we do not. However, we have complimentary day passes for our guests to use at the local gym 5 blocks away.