“Our best vacation ever!!!!”
Review of Crown City Inn

and 1 more site!
Crown City Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
New Hampshire
“Our best vacation ever!!!!”
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My son and I stayed at the Crown City Inn while visiting with his Dad as well as my sister. The room was small but cozy and adorable. Our room had a fridge, microwave, iron, hair dryer, and air conditioning. The staff was excellent as well as the House Keeping Staff (Hi Maria)!!!! Bikes were there for our use as well as a lovely swimming pool and afternoon treats in the lobby. Close to everything and the price is right. In the evening it is so beautiful as well as peaceful. Many thanks to the Crown City Inn. See you in December!!!!!! The Ferguson's

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Knightbrian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Arizona
Reviewed 18 October 2008

We had two rooms. One with a queen bed and the other room had two double beds. The rooms were very clean and nicely remodeled. The beds were very comfortable - not the usual hard, stiff hotel beds. The rooms are a little small but they are so well equipped with a microwave, refrigerator, flat screen TV, DVD player, iron, ironing board, hairdryer and very nice clean bathrooms that it more than makes up for less space. The Crown City Inn was quiet and peaceful even though it is on busy Orange Avenue. The Bistro restaurant was fabulous and so convenient. Excellent service and great food and the prices are reasonable. The Crown City Inn is definitely an asset to historic Coronado.

• Liked — Everything was in great condition and very clean.
  • Disliked — Rooms are a little small.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
Bisbee, Arizona
Reviewed 19 August 2008

On this year's trip to San Diego, two of us from work stayed at the Crown City Inn for a week. I've stayed on Coronado for 3 years running and really feel like I know the place.

Crown City Inn is alright - almost convenient to the ferry and relatively comfortable. If you compare to other places on Coronado, the price is about right for what you get. The wifi was a little weak in my room and the room needed better lighting. I don't think I'll be returning as it wasn't the right fit for my week in San Diego. No breakfast bar is offered (restaurant opens at 8). Bathroom was not very good and air conditioning was a little weak. Nice that you can take dogs, and staff was accomodating. Bikes can be checked out for 2 hour jaunts, which I enjoyed.
The one-night deposit was charged in advance which I find a little odd (or I'm just a rube) but they were quite flexible on payment types and taking care of me.
I think it's alright for short stays and couples who are active and don't need the resort amenities. For business, it's not quite a home away from home.

• Liked — Close to library and park.
  • Disliked — Small poorly lit rooms, dingy bathroom, and weak wifi.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank KurtAZ
CA
Reviewed 12 July 2007

A comfortable motel. Clean room and comfortable bed. A bit pricey for what it is but it met our needs for a good night sleep. Parking was a bit inconvenient but we managed. The staff was not overly friendly but we didn't have to interact much with them. There was coffee available in the morning.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
phoenix
Reviewed 14 April 2007

First off let me just say the staff at the CCI is so friendly and customer service oriented. I have stayed at CCI many times and have always had a wonderful experience. With their great rates and quiet ambiance Crown Ciy is the perfect place to stay. From business trips to a quiet weekend away with my boyfriend this place has always had it all. I've even gotten my parents, whom normally only stay at The Del or other 5 star resorts, on board the CCI train.
If your looking for a convenient place within walking distance of all Coronado attractions and eateries The Crown City Inn is the perfect place for you or your family.

(Front room by the street is a little loud with traffic but if urban noises don't bother you too much you won't even notice.)

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank funnthesun111
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 19 September 2006

After staying at the sister property in Santa Barbara, we decided to stay at the Crown City Inn. The rates are pretty reasonable for the San Diego area. The motel is basic and in need of updating and sound proofing. Our room while okay, was in need of a paint job, little tired looking. It had a vaulted ceiling and jacuzzi tub which was nice.
The lobby had a computer with free internet access which was nice after being away for a while to check in on things. They also served tea and cookies in the afternoon, however does not include breakfast as most motels seem to. There is a restaurant downstairs however if you walk down the street further, there are better and less expensive options for breakfast and other meals.
The motel is in a U shape, so noise travels very easily to the rooms, we were woken up by people on cell phones outside their rooms in the morning, people dragging suitcases down the stairs etc.
They have free bicycle rentals, although they looked a bit worse for the wear so we didn't try them out. The pool is very small but private, nice for a dip as it was quite warm.
Good option to stay in Coronado as it is only a few mintues walk to a walk on ferry that goes from the island to downtown San Diego. The trip was only $3 each way so was a great option for a trip over to avoid paying for parking and traffic.
Service was hit and miss at the front desk, some helpful others very much the opposite.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul H
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 June 2006

We recently spent three nights at the Crown City Inn. After extensive searching for a hotel on Coronado Island that 1) accepted dogs and 2) that was not over $300 per night (you can stay at Hotel del Coronado or Loews for mucho bucks) I found this Inn through an internet search. With the pet fee it was about $150 per night. Their website looked nice, but I have to admit nervousness since they were not in any of the usual guidebooks. It was great! They welcomed us and our dogs with a "doggie bag" for each dog (treats, a small tennis ball (the receptionist specifically asked the size of our dogs to get the treat bag right!) and poop pick-up bags). The rooms had placemats on the floor where the hotel provided dog bowls. I felt very safe in pottying my dog at 2:45 a.m. because Coronado Island is very quiet and safe-feeling. The hotel was a long (but scenic) walk from the beach (about a mile) but a short drive to the Coronado Island Dog (off-leach) beach (check because San Diego has dates when dogs are not allowed off leach and other dates when they are allowed off leash). The Inn was on the main street of Coronado Island, so it was a short walk to restaurants. The Inn has its own Bistro, but we did not try it, because we ended up taking out for dinner. On Sunday in the summer, the Island puts on an evening concert at the park that was 1/2 block from the hotel.
The only reason I did not rate the hotel Excellent was that our hotel room had a small shower with an odd shower head. The room itself was plenty large and it had both a refrigerator and microwave. The rooms seemed individual, so I wouldn't be surprised if other rooms had different shower configurations. I plan on going back next year!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member