“Absolutely gorgeous”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I booked the hotel as a gift for my dad's 77th Birthday - " Some likes it hot" movie is his favourite. Hotel was great! They keep the atmosphere of those years and You feel like inside the movie! My dad was really happy. Restaurants are great, beach shop has absolutely fantastic womens clothing.
One thing that a little bit dissappointing - the Suite room in Victorian building does not have privacy windows and you can see people passing in front of you all the time... You can also
hear all the guests upstairs...

Room Tip: Do not book the suites in victorian building, double check whether you have private windows
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Marusya757
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your Dad's special birthday at the resort and we are happy he enjoyed the visit. While the Victorian Building has its unique charm, we also recommend staying in the Ocean Towers, California Cabanas or one of the luxury cottages or villas at Beach Village next time your travels bring you out our way. Thank you again.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

We recently spent 4 nights at the Beach Village, enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. It is a wonderful way to get the atmosphere and amenities of the Del without having to deal with the crowds and creakiness of some of the rooms in the hotel. This comes, however, at a high price....valet parking costs $38 and internet service is extra, by way of illustration.

The Beach Village is a collection of privately owned cottages and villas that are right next to the Del but gated off. We stayed in a beach unit on the first floor and loved the view. It is not, however, full of privacy as the walking path is directly in front. We enjoyed the activity and people watching, but if more privacy is desired, the second floor might be more satisfactory. There is also a set of condos behind the ones on the beach, closer to the pool. They are less expensive but won't have the glorious beach views. All of the units are attached or very close together.

Our unit was fresh and clean, but a bit odd in that the closet was in the bathroom area. The unit had a sea of pocket doors and a few (squeaky) regular doors that separated the sections of the room. This suite could have been extended into a three bedroom unit by unlocking adjacent doors, but the resultant seating area would still only have a sofa for two and one chair in the living room, so that wouldn't accommodate a big group very well. I'd suggest getting very specific information about seating and layout if more than two or three are sharing a cottage.
The room was clean, with the exception of a few stained throw pillows, and the bath amenities were excellent. TV reception wasn't great on several channels and our remote didn't work, though we didn't bother to report it. Finally, the pull out refrigerator got very loud, so we opted not to use it so we could turn it off.

The concierge worked with us before the trip to plan a few activities and she could not have been more helpful or enthusiastic. "Continental" breakfast is included in the rate and it was excellent, worthy of being considered more than continental as scrambled eggs and meats were offered along with bread, yogurt, etc. I also saw the staff making smoothies for the children. We ate a few meals at the Del and found the food and service excellent.

The only true complaint worthy incident was that room service did not collect our tray, which we left outside of the room, after we called. It remained outside all night and the birds got into it, making a mess and breaking glasses. Unfortunately, they didn't completely pick up the broken glass, and I stepped on a piece 24 hours later. Although I wasn't hurt, it could have been a big, unnecessary problem due to sloppiness on the part of the staff.

The Del is iconic and we enjoyed being able to use the facilities, then get away from the hordes. And, even during a not busy time of year, there were hordes of sightseers on the weekend and conventions during the week. The convention on sight took over the beach in front of the main hotel two evenings, with music playing until 10 PM, which could be heard inside our cottage. As well, there are helicopters and planes flying - though not too late at night - from the adjacent military bases. None of these were problematic for us, but might be for some.

The Del has a spa, salon and fitness center that were convenient and excellent. The massage and manicure/pedicure I received were absolutely sensational as was a yoga class that was free for guests. The beach is long and wide and there is a path for walking/biking that is well used. I would imagine that this hotel would be heaven for small children. We are fans, despite the eye popping prices......

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank MickiD
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I had high hopes for this stay at the historic Hotel del. I had visited it on two prior trips to San Diego and was excited to be staying there. Unfortunately, the conference I was attending blocked off rooms mostly in their newer resort building. I had to walk quite a distance to the main hotel each day and still further to the conference site. The room was only so-so and there was a very thin door separating my room from the one next door. Suffice it to say, I now know more than I ever wanted to about the succession of neighbors I had during my week's stay. The sound of doors slamming, people showering, eating, talking...and other things...made my stay most unpleasant. The beach front was lovely, but next time I will return to downtown for my stay.
I had a package sent to the hotel and when I arrived, they had no record of it. They did finally round it up for me, but they should have had a note on my reservation that it was there. I had called ahead to see about booking a shuttle pickup at the airport. I was told that reservations were not necessary, just call when you get in. When I did that, the first question they asked was if I had made a reservation...UGH!!!! A cab was actually cheaper, but I expected better service. I am glad that the conference attendings got the $25 a day spa service and the $11 a day wi-fi comped...way overpriced for a few bottles of water and internet service...
I guess I was swept up in the romantic hype associated with the del but, as they say, reality bites.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

We appreciate your valuable feedback and apologize for the service issues you encountered and understand your frustrations. We will share your review with the appropriate managers so that we may make the necessary improvements. Thank you again.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Our stay at the Del was wonderful. It was a mother/ daughter trip for daughters 21st birthday. We had a large renovated corner room on the 5th floor in the historical building with a great view. Very quite location. The beds were very comfortable. Bathroom was small but had enough shelf space for our toiletries under the sink and over the toilet. Room had a mini frig so bought yogurt and fruit from grocery store since we are not big breakfast people. Walk in closet was a nice treat. All of the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Enjoyed all the restaurants. Loved the wine tasting at the Eno bar.There were a lot of tourist during the day but the place is very large and there were places that only hotel guest were allowed. We valet parked the 1st night then self parked after that since the lot was so close. Parking is pricey but we knew this before hand. Did a historical tour of the hotel which was interesting but we let the Del know that the historian was very forgetful. We had a wonderful time and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Stay in the historical building to feel more a part of the Del. The other buildings are not connecte...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank 2-26-2013kp
BBrown3275, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

We are pleased both that you chose to celebrate your special mother/daughter birthday at The Del and that you had a great time. We especially appreciate the recognition of our wonderful staff. We hope to become a family tradition and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

Best place to stay in San Diego. I lived in Coronado and it's a world away from the conventions and tourists of San Diego. If you have to go to S Cal this place is beautiful. Quite expensive.
Get an ocean view room in the old building.
Restaurants are OK. Service is very good. Try to go when it's sunny, Fall is best time. Mornings can be gloomy and overcast in the late spring and summer.
The beach is the best in San Diego. The spa is world class.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view, it's worth it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank william m

We appreciate your endorsement and loyalty to our iconic resort and agree that fall is a beautiful time to experience The Del. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

This property is in my opinion for some and not others.

Let's start with a really nice beach front. However, not for surfing as waves are pretty calm by Pacific standards. No pier nearby either which seems un-Californian.

Many beachfront (or those closest to the beach and not overlooking the pool area) rooms are on low floors where foot traffic can clearly see in. Even in the pool area many rooms at eye level. For someone who likes to not worry about privacy and yet a great view (and ambiance) of the ocean this hotel was disappointing.

The rack rate is very steep (even by California standards) and I am glad I was with a conference that only had to pay half. Even at this discounted rate I did not feel value for the money.

Like noise? Well the US military will provide plenty as you will be at the end of a runway for many helicopters, several cargo planes, and the odd fighter jet (which will shake the building) daily (although night time and weekend curfews seem to be in place). Not a great place for an afternoon nap.

The food at the hotel is way over priced. A drink on the deck is at least $12-15 dollars. The nearby restaurants and bars are far more reasonable and are of high quality.

Parking is expensive but if you are willing to pay the rack rate this should be no problem for you.

So why am I rating this as three?
-Coronado Island is beautiful with great (outside the hotel) restaurants and the bridge from San Diego is an experience
-It is a decent beach (and I love beaches) but not nearly the best in California

So, I recommend maybe spending a night or two for the experience but would invest in a longer vacation elsewhere

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor (mention the Ocean Towers) not near an elevator or ice machine
3  Thank Beachesarethebest

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay. We are sorry that apsects of your visit did not meet your expectations. To that end, we will be sharing your review with the appropriate managers. Thank you again.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

A four night stay at this beautiful hotel was a real treat. From the beautifully landscaped grounds to the fantastic ocean views, there is much to recommend. I and my colleagues really enjoyed the Babcock & Storey Bar. A lively place, with live music nightly, the bartenders are excellent. The sun deck is a great spot to gather, have a drink with friends, and enjoy views of the Pacific. The sleeping rooms are just fine but not the primary reason for visiting this great old hotel.

Room Tip: The California Cabanas offer ocean front rooms with very nice decks. Get one of these if you love oc...
1  Thank StevetheCubsFan

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and the historic ambiance of The Del. We appreciate the recognition of our wonderful associates and look forward to your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 279 in San Diego
Downtown
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!