“Beautiful setting, overpriced, overcrowded at holiday time”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Cleveland, Ohio
“Beautiful setting, overpriced, overcrowded at holiday time”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The hotel itself and beach setting are beautiful, but the hotel was extremely crowded, service was spotty (but pleasant), and add-ons (like S'Mores on the beach) were obscenely overpriced. Given the price of the rooms, they should not have charged for self-parking but did nonetheless, and the hotel was so crowded that even self-parking was a hassle. There was a charge for a daily resort fee that included water in the room, etc. There were not enough waters provided for our family (2 adults, 2 children) so two waters essentially cost us $35 per day. The rooms were nice but not commensurate with the price paid. While the beach setting was spectacular, the experience was way overpriced for the money. Katherine T's review captured many aspects of our experience beautifully.

1 Thank chris h
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback and we apologize that aspects of your visit did not meet your expectations. The resort does get quite busy during summer and the holidays so we recommend visiting in the spring or fall when the weather is beautiful and the crowds are gone. We appreciate your input.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,313)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a large conference which was held on site. I wasn't looking forward to the hotel after reading the Tripadvisor reviews.

Firstly, it's really beautiful. Spectacular, and particularly worth staying at if you are at all interested in architecture. I can't emphasize this enough. Stunning.

Secondly, the staff were fantastic. Everyone from the desk staff to the bell boys to the concierges went above and beyond every time I approached them. Terrific.

Thirdly, my room was spotlessly clean and quiet. I understand that they have a huge range of rooms, but I recommend the old part of the hotel, where mine was. It was so unique.

Fourth, even disregarding the beach, the location is terrific. Immediately adjacent to the main street of Coronado, with lots of cute cafes and shops to visit.

Finally, the spa is excellent. A good range of treatments, beautiful spaces and senior staff.

Don't miss it!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MelbourneBookGirl
We are delighted that you enjoyed your business stay at The Del and had the opportunity to experience our award-winning spa. We’re pleased that we exceeded your expectations and appreciate the recognition of our great staff. We hope your travels bring you back our way again soon.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 4 January 2014

How can someone NOT enjoy a stay at "The Hotel Del"? For some, this would be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Our stay was a very good one. Attention is given to details that are often missed at many resorts. The antiques were much appreciated. If I have the opportunity, I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit to this iconic resort and appreciate the historic nuances that make it so special. We hope your travels bring you back our way again.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

If it were not for the hotel's beautiful and convenient beach scene, I would rate it a 3 star instead of 4. The hotel's beach location cannot be beat.

This historical old victorian hotel is well kept but tired. There are long lines everywhere! It took about 20 minutes for our car to get to the front hotel doors due to traffic and then there was a very long line to check-in. The staff was efficient but not hospitable: from check in to every part of the hotel. The Sunday brunch was very nice and the service there was excellent, unlike the rest of the hotel. Although, the Sunday Brunch food selection was nice, it was not that varied. We also ate breakfast buffet and dinner at the Shearwater restaurant. Dinner food was good; the seabass plate was particularly good; the children's menu has good selection and for $10 you can get a children's meal and dessert! The breakfast brunch at Shearwater was average at best; the selection was limited and the lines were exceptionally long; the service was again subpar. Everything in the hotel is expensive, even by hotel/resort standards, from parking to meals to drinks to ice cream.

The best part about the hotel is that you are right on the beach! The kids in our party loved playing in the sand and the adults loved having dinner/drinks right by the beach. When we visited around new year, there was an ice skating and our kids really enjoyed that as well. The swimming pool area was nice and the water was reasonably warm. You can borrow beach toys and chairs in the pool counter area.

Rooms were fine but not special for the rate we paid. The bathroom is a little small. Housekeeping was very good about bringing our requested toiletry extras.

If you are staying in San Diego, and want immediate/convenient access to the beach, this is the hotel to be at. Otherwise, there are better accommodations in San Diego with better pricing.

Room Tip: Ocean Tower has great access to the beach. However, if you don't pay up for the beach view, you...
1 Thank Katherine T
We appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed our spot on the Best Beach in America. As a National Historic Landmark, the resort does get quite busy, especially over the holidays and during the summer. That said, we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and service issues you encountered and thank you for your valuable input.
knokke
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

Ending our trip after a stay for 4 days at the Beverly Wilshere , followed by Carmel at the Sea and 4 days in San Francisco's St-Regis , this was supposed to be the last relaxing part of our journey ..... The place is indeed great but what a deception for the rooms ....
There were a lot of USA Presidents that stayed in this hotel but I think they never up-graded their rooms since President Lincoln was here !! Very very old rooms and terrible bathroom !!! Also the security of the hotel is non existent !! All entrance doors open most of the time and a lot of visitors from outside . This makes the security impossible . But , the service , food and kindness of the concierges and front desk people were more than perfect . I'll will definitely come back when they will have accommodated the rooms to the 21 Th. century . And believe it will be quite a job !! We stayed in a Double Queen Frontal Ocean view and only the perfect view was worth staying there ..... We wish you all the best with the renewing of your hotel .

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review and we’re pleased that the view, food and service you experienced was exemplary. We apologize that your room was not to your satisfaction. We like to believe we have something for everyone—from the historic charm of the Victorian building to the more contemporary and spacious Ocean Towers and California Cabanas to the luxury villas and cottages of Beach Village. The resort is continually undergoing a rotation of renovations, some very subtle and others more obvious like the recent room renovations in the Victorian building. We hope you to welcome you back again soon.
California
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights for my daughters wedding in December. We had stayed in the villas closest to the water the summer before last and this stay we opted for a one bedroom with a kitchen which landed us on the second floor with a lovely ocean view.

i always prefer the villas over the hotel because they feel newer and more up to date which I like.
Our room was very nice with 2 fireplaces which we used during our stay despite the fact we had weather in the 70's. The kitchen was well stocked and had just about everything you could need.

The bridal party all got ready in the room and it made a perfect backdrop for the video and pictures as the lighting and scenery was just breathtaking. I would suggest anyone getting married at the hotel stay at the Villas, it's just a little more special in my opinion.

As a last note, staying in December as opposed to the summer time was pretty neat as well. The main hotel is buzzing and is beautifully decorated, it's really a sight to see. I would highly recommend staying at the Beach Village but also recommend looking for special pricing deals and packages on the website as the nightly rate can be quite expensive.

2 Thank Ksma23
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We so wanted to love every part of "The Del" and have had our trip planned for months. We are just returning from a four night stay and sadly, we were let down by all the things in the hotel's control. The hotel itself to look at is indeed extraordinary - especially all lit up for Christmas. The ocean is magnificent and the views are breathtaking. Certainly there is no shortage of cute little shops right on property including the ice cream shop and candy shop as well as the signature shop. The pool area is lovely. Not at all big enough to handle the crowds they had this week, but lovely nonetheless. In response to my review - management will apologize and highlight all the things they feel make their hotel an asset (the history and charm and amenities) and they certainly aren't wrong, But at $515 a night - you can keep the history and charm - I want flawless, personalized and stress free vacationing.

Lets start at Valet/Check In - let me tell you if you have no experience with this hotel - that at any given part of the day - especially evenings - the hotel is swarming with people - and about 75 percent or more of those people are NOT hotel guests. they are either there to eat or ice skate or simply gawk at the hotel. Just getting to the front desk was a task with the crowds and valet was backed up for almost 20 min before we pulled up. Upon arrival I was barely acknowledged/welcomed and was rushed into the map location tour and almost sent on my way. I was given a room on the ground floor right off the pool. Room 4125 to be exact. When making my reservation I specifically requested an updated room in the Victorian building for ease and comfort (something I feel I am entitled to at those prices) or one on a higher floor. Was told it would be noted and while they couldn't promise, they would certainly be sure to accommodate in some way....WRONG! I travel with a special needs child who has some sensitivities and made that known at the time of booking. When I questioned it at check in - I was told rudely "there is nothing I can do to change your room" well lovely.. thanks a bunch!! I was given my map and keys and sent on my merry way!

I didn't mind the fact that our room was actually set off from the main building however what I DID mind was that the door to that building was wide open for anyone to enter into. With all the non guests of the hotel, this bothered me. There were tons of people walking and all the entrances were wide open. We were told it was secured at 10pm. big deal - what about all the people walking around the hotel at 8 and 9pm. And it wasn't in fact secured at 10pm. Forgive me, but hotel safety means a lot to me and my family. more than the fact that Walt Disney stayed there.

The room itself was ok. Nothing with nothing. definitely dated - old coffee maker, stains on the carpet as well as the shower curtains. An alarm with a cd player! You would think this resort would at least get with the times and change the alarms to ones with a docking station! BUt so be it - that was the least of our concerns! But what appalled me more than anything was the filth in our room. there were hairs on the night stand. sand in the carpet. and crumbs of food on our balcony! gross! called the front desk and was once again rushed off the phone and told they would notify housekeeping and it would be taken care of "tomorrow" ummmm...are you kidding me? once again - I wouldn't even want this from a $150 dollar a night Hampton inn but a $500 a night resort?? Unfathomable!

The pool was loud (closes at 10pm)and so we heard every noise there. The doors that lead from the balcony to the pool slam shut so loud it will knock you off your bed. We were miserable with the room and the location! The shower pressure was horrible, the bathroom grout in the shower tiles was filthy. The robe smelled bad and wasn't even hung up. And the hair dryer was from the 50's I'm convinced. Here is an interesting fact. the hanging closet and safe are located IN the bathroom and have double doors. If your bathroom door is open - you cannot open the closet! you have to shut the bathroom door behind you - then open your closet! a deal breaker? perhaps not - it might have bothered me simply because everything else was so disappointing. Often times walking through the halls of our bldg. at any given time, we saw classes, food, wrappers, red trays, etc. The ground floor of this bldg. was FILTHY - almost all the time.

The two restaurants on site are not at all kid friendly or non seafood eater friendly at all. We ate off property each night. Ventured into old town and also little Italy one night. So glad we did!! The coffee bar downstairs was fine if you order just the coffee. We went one night because it was after the ice cream place closed and got two desserts which were horrible!

Before coming to the hotel, I was certain I was going to be blown away. An activities coordinator called me to help me coordinate activities which I truly loved. BEWARE - they gave wrong info which ended up costing me a great deal of money. They will try to sell you the "smores" experience on the beach. For $130 (which by the way is more expensive than a private surfing lesson at $120). I don't mind spending big money but let it at least be a decent value. When I booked smores, I was told I would have the opportunity to change my day/time upon arrival. Again, I have a sensory special needs child so getting locked into something is difficult for us and days can be unpredictable! Alas - called concierge (which took 6 times of calling and getting disconnected due to nobody answering) and was charged a cancel fee because indeed you cannot change your plans without a couple of days notice. I also asked about Ice skating and if that needed to be done in advance and was told "don't worry - no hotel guest will be turned away". WRONG AGAIN! Called Monday to get tickets for my daughter and myself and they were sold out and could not accommodate me due to the throngs of non hotel guests with tickets. So - no ice skating for us! Also asked about a surf lesson on that call and was told to wait to see what the conditions were like and call the day of. AND AGAIN...WRONG. Called Monday and they offer 1 lesson a day at 3pm for a private and it was booked! So, of course all the wonderful activities we wanted to experience - we didn't experience at all.

We sat at the pool Monday. Its a nice pool with great views. There was no one at the towel pick up so we got our own and found seats. We are Ritz Carlton guests frequently and even when I pay $385 a night - a pool attendant carries the towels, sets them up for you and helps. Definitely not the case here - its fend for yourself. LEts chat about the hot tub - GROSS!! It says nobody under 12 - guess what? It resembled a kiddie pool most of the time and sometimes we counted 18-20 people in it at once with a much smaller capacity sign right there for everyone to read. but with a total absence of any staff - thus was the hot tub. a cesspool of bacteria and swimmy diapers! UGH! Also surprising - no pool attendants! Up until after 12 noon - if you wanted a drink or snack by the pool - good luck and when the grill did open, I had to go to the bar at pool level and order myself where I was told by the oh so personality-less girl "just to let you know the grill got backed up yesterday by almost an hour so your food could take about that long today - its already backed up" YES - exactly what you want to hear at $515 a night! WOOHOO! It took about an hour but at least the food was decent.

The beach is a little walk from the pool and they do have chairs you can take. Yes -you can lug your three or more beach chairs yourself down the beach. Completely surprised that a beach resort doesn't have beach chairs set up and a beach attendant down there.

Valet - we were given our valet number and told we could call ahead for our car. We did each time and not once was our car waiting. Once we called and didn't get to valet until 20 min after we called - STILL no car!

I checked out and would you believe the girl never once asked "how was your stay" because trust me - I was hoping she would so I could let out all my frustrations and displeasures over the course of our stay which cost me over $2000. I presented her with my keys she told me she was printing my bill and simply went back to what she was doing. What a disgrace.

Not once during my stay was I addressed by name. As a matter of fact - on one of my calls to concierge - I was asked if I was a hotel guest. Really? They don't even have the technology to detect when one of their own guests are calling? I was NEVER made to feel welcome or valued and not one staff member made any effort to impact our stay in a positive way.

Yes - its a beautiful hotel rich in history and charm. Yes - its beachside which is wonderful if you desire a beach vacation. Its grand looking and in a wonderful location. But what it offers in history, charm and views - it lacks in customer service and everything else I value as a seasoned traveler.

A complete disappointment. DO NOT stay here if you have a special needs child of any kind - that's for sure. And honestly - with all they offer to non guests - you are better off staying somewhere else and just using the facilities that are there for non hotel guests.

Feel free to contact me for further information nisenson714@gmail.com

12 Thank TravelPrincess1108
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!