“Exactly what you'd expect” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
London, United Kingdom
“Exactly what you'd expect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was a business trip but I stayed on for a few days. This is (by US standards) an old hotel and they have not tried to modernise the original building where I stayed, so if you like "Victorian" then you'll be fine. I was fortunate and was in a second floor room at the front with a balcony and ocean view. Furniture and fittings are certainly not new, but decent quality and functional. The bed and bedding were fine and the room was kept immaculately clean by the courteous cleaning staff. Service, as much as I saw of it, was pretty much as described elsewhere, generally courteous and friendly but a colleague attending the same meeting was very unhappy with a bar bill experience and got a fairly dusty answer to his complaint.
There are some 93000 military personnel in the San Diego area so don't be surprised by military/naval activity, there are major facilities either side of the hotel and on one evening from my balcony I counted 2 aircraft carriers, a small flotilla of frigates, 3 fast jets and 5 helicopters in sight all at the same time - a very reassuring display of US military power.
This is a huge hotel in a military area which does what it says on the tin, don't expect a boutique hotel experience.

Room Tip: Provided you don't mind the helicopters, the ocean side rooms are a no brainer.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
We appreciate your feedback and are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. As we strive to provide legendary service, we appreciate your recognition of our staff. We hope your travels bring you back our way again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

This should be a five star resort. Pity it's been taken over by the navy seals doing military maneuvers over the pool and sunset deck. We were really looking forward to going into this historic, classic hotel that's been around since the 1800s. I remember the beautiful tennis courts on the beach and how quiet and secluded the hotel USED to be. No more tennis courts because they weren't getting enough use. And the hotel I assume lost the fight against the military so now on your quiet sunset bar overlooking the beach there are dozens of helicopters zooming by as well as military planes, all flying very low and extremely NOISY. It went on like this from roughly 3-10 PM although when I asked the front desk when they would stop they grimly said they didn't have the schedule for the military exercises. So much for peaceful lounging by the pool. Initially when we arrived and went up to our third floor room overlooking the courtyard we were hit by the sewer like smell in the hallways. The hotel had set up a number of floor fans and it smelt really bad so we were nervous our room would also smell, but it didn't. And the next day the bad smell slowly disappeared. I don't know what problem the hotel was having but that initial impression was bad. It's too bad the noisy helicopters and bombers didn't go away. Overall it was disappointing for such an expensive first class hotel. I would not go back.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wasaga
Thank you for your feedback and we apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. The Del has a long history with the military, which has been present on Coronado since 1917. The amount of military activity varies and for national security reasons, no schedule is made available. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your input.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

If you like relaxing in a gorgeous beach setting, you will not be disappointed with Beach Village. Service is exceptional, rooms are great and you can't beat the location in Coronado with the nicest beach in California right in front of you.
Staff at Beach Village is second to none. Included breakfast at Windsor Cottage is a bonus. Dinner there is not to be missed either.
Staying at Beach Village gives you access to all the amenities of Hotel Del Coronado, but let's you escape the crowds that can build up in the hotel. It is the best of both worlds.
Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Upper floors in Cottages give you a nicer view and keep you away from the pedestrians on the sidewal...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bret S
Jim-BVDirector, General Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience at Beach Village. You highlighted much of what the team works tirelessly to deliver to each and every guest. Between the second-to-none location and our genuine approach to thoughtful services and well-placed amenities, your BV experience is filled with lifelong memories. Please come back and see us again soon.
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

I have stayed here once before, both trips were for business. This is a historic hotel, with newer buildings you can choose to stay in if you prefer. I had a room that faced the pool, second level. Being an east coaster (more or less), the noise level at my east coast bedtime was a little more than I would have liked, but the pool area closes down at 10:30pm PST, so not unreasonable. I put in earplugs and turned on my white noise app and it was all good. The free water bottles are nice, they could make a killing on those! The food was decent, the walking paths were awesome! Great views of the ocean and easy access to the beach. Easy walking to many shops and restaurants. I would stay here with my family too. The rooms in the new part are large enough to accommodate a family of four, I think. Not too far from anything in San Diego either.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank courtneymccollum
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 14 February 2014
We are delighted that you enjoyed your business trip to The Del and our beachfront location. As an east coaster, you must have enjoyed our unseasonably warm weather! We hope to welcome you back with your family for a vacation.
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

This was at the very end of a 2 week trip to Southern California. My wife was staying here for a medical conference, and although I chose to leave her there and take the kids to visit family in Chicago, we did spend the day wandering around and touring the facilities as a family.

Lobby: The lobby is quite spacious. Not much, (if any) in the way of seating. There is the old elevator that is still operated by a staff member for clients.

Check-in went rather smooth. The standard paperwork seened to take a bit longer than usual but nothing worth mentioning. My wife was asked if she wanted an upgrade. It seemed reasonable enough, I ecouraged her to so, and so she did. I think it was partial view- full ocean view.

Room: 2 double beds. Full ocean view (I believe). The room was situated at one of the newer buildings that are set apart from the main historical building. I can't compare rooms so I can't say if this was a good thing or bad. The color scheme was aweful. It didn't project any type of warmth. Faded Pastels. Furnishings weren't really what I would consider as luxurious, and I really found the room to be lacking anything that gave it a 5* appearance

Gift shop:The usual gift shop with Del this and Del that. Merchandising is merchandising afterall. One of the salesladies was quite firendly and mentioned the ghost story to my 6 y.o.daughter. This topic was of course quite a hit and we ended up walking out with the Del History Book.

Staff: The "bell" staff were quite helpful in sorting our luggage and either sending it to the room or storing it. I didn't have much interaction with staff outside this.

Shops: Plenty of on-site stores to include a few that would give the shops on Rodeo Drive competition.

Food: As with any 5* resort style property, your choices are just about limitless. From the casual to formal to strabucks to a candy/icecream shop. What's your pleasure?

Location: Keep in mind that this is an island and not actually San Diego. Any type of touristy stuff will require leaving the island and coming back.

Conclusion: Again, I only stayed for a day and can't give any fine détails. I do regret not staying here a couple nights, but I'm happy I didn't decide to make this our main stay while in San Diego. I bet I'd love it here (other than the room) but San Diego isn't really a place that I want to take a "resort" vacation. I.E. If the kids want an ice cream one would normally go out and explore the area for a place to get ice cream. With the Del.... you just go downstairs (or to the other building).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased that you enjoyed your brief visit to this legendary resort and had the opportunity to explore the grounds. We appreciate your recognition of our friendly staff and hope your travels bring you back our way again.
Evanston, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Staying here is really like stepping back in history. The building is amazing. We were able to have a tour with an excellent, knowledgeable guide and he told all about the building of the hotel, the characters who feature in the history, even the ghost! When I stayed there, we were in the Tower building, so not in the historic part. It was nothing special but fine and quiet. We could see the ocean from the balcony and the sunrise and sunsets were lovely. I attended a conference there and was pleased at the quality of all our meals. Food was fresh and well prepared. Not the usual dull conference food! The fresh, warm cinnamon rolls they served one morning were definitely worth the calories as was the afternoon ice cream treat! Be sure to check out the sand castle guy on the beach - he does a different one every week!

Room Tip: Get an ocean or partial ocean view! High up is good, too.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Maureen M
We are delighted that you appreciate the historic ambiance that makes the resort so special as well as your conference meals. We hope you are able to return some day for a vacation.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

I have always wanted to stay at the Hotel Del Coronado, so when my husband had a business trip there, I had to tag along! I was not impressed by the hotel's lobby. VERY average. NO chairs. But loved the historic elevator! I immediately noticed the rumpled, wrinkled clothing of the front desk clerks. I wanted to feel like I was stepping back in time to a luxurious hotel, I really felt like I was checking into a Howard Johnson!
After receiving our room keys (card) I noticed how warn the hotel's carpet was. Worn and dirty. I reminded myself this is an old/historic hotel... Upon entering our room my husband let our a gasp, and said, "Oh! This is SMALL". It was a VERY small room! Barely room to walk on the sides of the bed. I checked the bathroom - VERY small! So small the toilet paper roll was attached on the back of the door!! I looked at the oval mirror over the sink and noticed all the splattered toothpaste and water marks - Ewww!! I quickly grabbed a housekeeper in the hall and asked if she'd wipe down the mirror.
Later we noticed that while brushing our teeth or washing your face over the worlds smallest sink - you'd hit your forehead on the glass shelf that was between the mirror and sink!
Beds were comfortable! Pillows were nice.
Asked for another room the next day! MUCH BETTER ROOM! Jessica at the front desk was a wonderful help and very understanding!
The staff was always very helpful. I'd encourage any guest to take the historical tour. You will be enlightened on many of the hotels idiosyncrasies! Like... when the hotel was built in 1888, each room had a fireplace (for heat). And the bathrooms were located down each hallway! In the 1900's the fireplaces were removed, and replaced with bathrooms for each room! Thus the varying sizes of the room's bathrooms!
The Hotel Del Coronado is a gem! Part of America's history! The rooms are expensive! Not what one would expect for the price! Be warned! I have little doubt the hotel could make improvements and reach the level that the Hotel Del should be. The beauty of the hotel speaks for itself. A little vacuuming, ironing of uniforms,and beautiful chairs for the lobby, are just a few thoughts.
I encourage everyone to go - with low expectations. Attend the historical tour. Walk the cute downtown area, and stroll through the neighborhoods.

Room Tip: Stay in the Victorian section of the hotel. If you are not happy with the room you are provided, do...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recommendation and we are thrilled that you were able to experience The Del. We apologize for your initial impression of the rooms but glad that you understand why no two rooms are alike in the historic Victorian Building. The Ocean Towers and California Cabanas are more contemporary, uniform and spacious. We hope to welcome you back again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,942 reviews

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!