“Underwhelmed!”

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
Hartsdale, New York
“Underwhelmed!”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I came to San Diego years ago on business and had a drink by the pool overlooking the beach and always wanted to come back with my husband and stay at the hotel. We recently moved from NY to LA and made our way south for a weekend getaway. I was far from impressed with the chilly welcome. We stay at high end places when we travel and the front desk experience is always very telling. We paid extra for a coastal view room and when we got to our room, we faced the parking lot. Even tbe bellman joked that you would have to get on top of the desk to see the ocean. We were moved to the 5th floor with a hairline view of the water from the roof. The rooms are expensive and really not high end. No cotton balls or cutips in this hotel! We had lunch at the sheerwater restaurant. Food was average and service extremely slow. It was very crowded as the hotel faces a public beach so people stroll through hotel from outside. If you are looking for a quiet place, this is not it! It was crowded, noisy, not to mention they were rebuilding a pool area so the jack hammering was far from the quiet oasis i had imagined (not mentioned on the website that they were having construction). At dinner we had cocktails at the 1500 outside bar. Not a lot of selection but we got to enjoy the lovely sunset. Dinner at 1500 was great and our waiter very nice. Don't have the cappucino...dreadful!
Also, for a hotel of that size, no breakfast restaurants that serves a la carte in unexcusable! If you wanted breakfast, you had to have the buffet for $26...really?
It is a really beautiful building and really the only place to stay on the beach so no competition or many choices to pick from!

Room Tip: Go ocean front - if you are willing to pay more do not bother with coastal view! It is not what you...
2 Thank scarvalho7
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us. While we are delighted you enjoyed your 1500 dining experience, we apologize that aspects of you stay did not meet your expectations. As a National Historic Landmark, the resort does get quite busy. We appreciate your comments and will be sure to share them with our team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My wife and I usually stay at upscale modern hotels, but I had always wanted to see the famous Del Coronado. We arrived on a Friday - it was busy, but not mobbed (that would change). The lobby is beautiful and has real Victorian Era charm. We had paid extra for a "Coastal View" Room but when we got up there, the view was a parking lot. Even the bellman said "Maybe if you stand on the desk you can see the coast." I called and they gave us another room - this one had at least a partial view of the water. I guess they thought we wouldn't complain! The room was on the 5th floor and was comfortable, I wouldn't call it "luxurious." Even though the hotel is over 100 years old, the room looked pretty modern. The beach is beautiful - but it does get crowded and the hotel has several functions going on. I was hoping to see crews of Navy SEALS jogging or carrying rafts - maybe they take the weekends off! For dinner the first night we tried 1500 - the food was good, although my wife ordered a cappucino which tasted terrible. The waiter took it off the bill. The next night we had drinks at a nice outdoor bar and people watched. There was a Navy Ball at the hotel so a lot of people in uniform, women were beautifully dressed. One cool thing the hotel did was hire a woman to walk the grounds in a black victorian outfit as the ghost of a guest who gave the hotel its "haunted" reputation. We ate breakfast at Sheerwater, their main restaurant - you couldn't order anything a la carte, they ONLY offered a $25 buffet - which was very well stocked and you could get omlettes to order. All in all it was a nice weekend in a historic place.

Room Tip: if you pay for a "Coastal View", upon check-in ASK what kind of view the room has before g...
2 Thank PanAm007
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with others online. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially your dining experiences. We hope to welcome you back again!
Sugar Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Use to love this hotel. My wife and I have stayed there over 10 times in the past...no more. The condition has gone done hill over the past view years...and to make matter worse, they got rid of their Buy 2 Nights get the 3rd One Free Promotion making this hotel TOTALLY OVERPRICED!! Told the manager we wont be coming back any time soon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nextceo
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We apologize that aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. We will share your feedback with the appropriate management and appreciate your input.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

This is supposed to be one of the best hotels in the San Diego area, but I found it just old and smelly. There was construction everywhere. Housekeeping never came when we called for service. They decided to clean the carpets in the hallways outside our room - it was horribly stinky. Room service took 1 hour, far different than the 35 minutes quoted.

However, on the positive side: staff was very helpful and friendly. They gave our kids a very fun scavenger hunt experience upon arrival. Beach chairs and towels were given with ease. The herb garden was awesome and the beach beautiful. The food was excellent at all establishments.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Aimerator
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for recognizing our wonderful staff members as The Del strives to provide legendary service. We are pleased you enjoyed our dining service, beautiful beach and new DelVenture program and apologize for the service issues you encountered. We will share your comments with our management team so we can make the necessary improvements. We appreciate your input.
Menifee, California
Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and I decided to try something new for our anniversary this year. We have gone to Las Vegas for the last 5 years and wanted a change. We booked on-line through the hotel's website and added a massage special for me (as we do every year). We arrived a few hours before check-in and decided we should see if a room was available. One was, and we were upgraded to a full ocean view room from the standard room. When we opened the door to our room the view was spectacular (the room was cute and cozy too). We settled in and my massage was scheduled in the next 2 hours so we got a bite to eat and then went to the spa. I checked in and was taken back by a rude woman. I have never been to this spa before and she made it seem like a burden to show me where everything was. After settling in, I was called back for my massage (the therapist and the massage was wonderful). When leaving, I was called to the front desk to pay. I assumed that it was paid for since we booked it on-line. She gave me the total and it was the regular price of the massage. I told her that I had the on-line rate so she went to another employee (who was putting on make-up) talked to her then came back with a different rate. I told her again that I booked on-line at the special rate and she looked at me like I was lying. The other employee (make-up) came up and I told her the same thing. She told me I was supposed to have a voucher given to me at the front desk. I told her that I was not given a voucher. She said "fine" and gave me the rate that I was supposed to get. I paid and left then spoke to my husband. He told me that he assumed that it was paid for so we went back in and he spoke to the individual I spoke to. They then returned my original purchase and charged me the original price of the spa and said it would be taken care of on the final check-out bill. I left my massage relaxed and feeling wonderful. I left the spa stressed out and never wanting to return to that spa again. The rest of the trip was good. We ate the breakfast buffet at Sheerwater and it was good. When checking out, the stress came back. We got the final bill and the spa was on there for the regular price! I had to explain to this employee AGAIN what had happened. She then called the spa to take care of it. She returned with a different rate then what I first paid (the correct rate). I told her that was not the correct rate and showed her my very first receipt. She looked at it surprised, wondering why the spa gave her a higher rate. She then told us that she would change the rate and gave us a total to expect for the final bill. We said okay and left. Overall, the stay was a great one. The spa staff was horrible. They spent more time putting make-up on each other then actually helping people. Even if there was a mix up with the computer system or whatever, being treated like a liar or simply ignored is not a way to treat someone. I would definitely recommend the hotel to everyone, the spa not so much.

Room Tip: If you can get a full ocean view, do it!
2 Thank Julie A
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. While we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and dining experience, we apologize that your entire stay did not exceed your expectations. We will be sure to share your feedback with our spa team to ensure that this type of experience is not repeated. We hope to be able to welcome you and your husband back to The Del again in the future.
New York State
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Customer service from check-in to check-out was fabulous ! It started with Andrea at the front desk and stayed the same throughout our visit. Our room was spacious and immaculate with a large balcony. The bathroom was a little small but could be overlooked with all the other amenities ! The Housekeeping staff was fantastic. We had all meals at the resort and they were wonderful. Having breakfast and dinner on the patio overlooking the Pacific every day was heaven. The dinners at Sheerwater were perfect ,added to by our amazing server, Armando, whom we had for most meals. We were greeted by name during our week-long stay by all Host and Hostesses. We had one meal outdoors at Eno their pizza and wine bar restaurant, and that was also amazing with fire pits which added to the gorgeous evenings. For a quick snack and drink the Babcock & Story Bar also has indoor/outdoor seating..food was also very good. The Sunday Brunch in the Crown Room is an EXPERIENCE in itself ! Like nothing you have ever seen.
Pool area is very nice with many lounge chairs and food/drink service. The young people working at the pool were over-the-top nice....Katie was a delight !
The building itself is HISTORICAL and AWE INSPIRING. The original elevator in the lobby is still working with an operator. Most evenings Andrew was the operator and we just adored him !
The beach is INCREDIBLY beautiful and wonderful for walking. The only thing that wasn't offered was Lounge chairs for the beach...BUT they did have low sand chairs/towels as COURTESY . Umbrellas were available to rent. If you want to stay on Coronado Island...the Del Coronado is THE PLACE TO STAY !

2 Thank OceanCity7
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
We are thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at The Del and had the opportunity to experience much of what the resort has to offer. Thank you for recognizing our wonderful and attentive staff, and we will be sure to share your comments with Andrea, Armando, Katie and Andrew. Our new Del Beach starts May 1 providing large canopy umbrellas, cushioned chaise lounges, daybeds and cabanettes for a luxurious beach experience. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Called to book a 1 bedroom suite in Beach Village over 4 day July 4th weekend. Anna quoted price, I advised I would call her back, called back, spoke with Jessica, she indicated Anna was out until later, no tomorrow, would have to ask for manager permission to book but she would call me back within an hour, 5 hours later I called them back, a third rep said Jessica was busy and manager was in a meeting so it may be tomorrow (see where this is going?) Received call from Anna, they are not allowed to book one bedroom over the 4 nights I requested as it included the 4th of July and she cannot honor her quote per her manager. I think the total would have been between $8,000-$10,000 including tax, resort fees, $47 a day parking. I don't know who the SPECIAL one bedroom people are but it seems your limited to a $15,000-$20,000 stay in a 2 or 3 bedroom if you aren't part of the SPECIAL group. I'm sure they aren't leaving those spaces empty...

Room Tip: When yo0u book your stay, get it in writing, and get it immediately.
3 Thank michaelusaz
Jim-BVDirector, General Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
We sincerely regret the first impression given by our reservations team upon your attempts to book with us. We strive to make the experience as seamless as possible. The team carries a tremendous amount of pride in the operation of Beach Village, and we understand the importance of the first contact you make with us. Occasionally, we fall short of our own standards of excellence in service; and for this, I truly apologize. We hope that you will provide us with an opportunity to welcome you to Beach Village at The Del so we may prove that your experience with making a reservation is an exception, not the standard. I would like to personally assist you with your reservation and invite you to contact me at your convenience. Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. I will look forward to speaking with you in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 16 in Coronado

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!