“Just visited property & had lunch”
Review of Hotel del Coronado

Hotel del Coronado
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I was in Cali for a conference. Time was short. This was one of my stops. No regrets! Lovely property to walk around on. We just sat on a bench and enjoyed the view. Will def plan to stay the next time we are out that way.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

We are delighted that you made time to stop by and experience The Del. We hope your travels bring you back our way again for a longer visit.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I'd always wanted to stay at The Del after seeing it years ago, but after reading so many not-so-great reviews on TripAdvisor I almost didn't go. I'm glad I trusted my instincts and went---we had a wonderful time!
The hotel itself is absolutely gorgeous, and not at all 'tired' as some people wrote in their reviews. The lobby is magnificent. We stayed in the main building which was recently renovated and is extremely tastefully done. Every room is a different configuration, as we learned, and my only knock on the rooms is the bathrooms are extremely small. Friends stayed in a junior suite with two bathrooms, and that's what i'd opt for if we went back (wasn't aware it was an option). The room we had initially was on the small side (a jr suite) and as we realized at 9pm the first evening, the pull out couch wouldn't pull out because there wasn't enough room for it to fit in the open position. Maintenance came right away and tried to rearrange the room for us (moving furniture, etc) but it wasn't really satisfactory so we asked to switch rooms and the front desk was extremely accommodating. We looked at two additional rooms and chose a gorgeous, huge room (also considered a jr suite) with a balcony and ocean view and it was excellent (still a very tiny bathroom--but it's an old hotel, so I understand).
We didn't eat at the hotel, as we felt it was a bit overpriced for families, and since the hotel is in a FANTASTIC location and you can walk to a ton of great restaurants in less than 5 minutes. We even ran next door to Subway and got sandwiches to bring to the beach or pool at lunchtime. The beach is gorgeous and unlike other hotels on Coronado (we considered Loew's too)---it is RIGHT on the beach. Wide, beautiful beach great for kids. We spent most of our pool time at the Boardwalk pool because the main pool was having part of the deck re-done and it was noisy. We also did s'mores on the beach, which is totally overpriced but when split with another family it was slightly more reasonable (albeit still overpriced). It was a lot of fun though. Our girls (aged 10 and 12) also took private surf lessons and they were incredible. Steve was our instructor and he was excellent. Rented surf boards another day as well, which I felt was reasonably priced ($26 for an hr w a wetsuit--but they were laid back about the 'hour' time limit and gave us 90 mins).
We travel a lot and have stayed in some really fantastic hotels. The Hotel Del is one of my favorites so far. I'm not sure what other people are complaining about. Yes, it is very expensive (although we got a 'stay five nights, pay for three' deal). But you know this going in---so it shouldn't be a surprise. However, I am very happy we went. It's a great location if you just want to hang out at the beach/pool, but also a 10 minute drive from downtown San Diego, the zoo, to see a Padres game--- fabulous location. We had an amazing vacation. Will definitely return. I gave 4 stars instead of 5 only because of the whole bathroom situation and I wished the hotel restaurants and on-site parking were more reasonably priced. Otherwise, everything was fantastic.

Room Tip: We were offered a discounted upgrade to an ocean view balcony room and it was worth every cent. If...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

We are delighted that you followed your instincts and had a lovely family vacation. Coronado Beach was just named Best Family Beach in the U.S. so we’re pleased you enjoyed it. When the resort opened in 1888, there was over 400 rooms and about 78 bathrooms. Over the years, the room configurations have been modified to provide private restrooms. There are now 368 rooms in the Victorian Building and no two rooms are alike. The Ocean Towers and California Cabanas are a bit more spacious and contemporary. We hope you and your family return again.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We have stayed at the HOTEL DEL many times and we really enjoyed it. It's so old and has so much history. We always stay in the old part of the hotel, because it has that unique feeling.
They have added on and the new parts don''t have the same atmosphere. Besides being on the beach and being able to go anytime you want, the hotel has a lot to offer. The pool is great and you have tennis courts, a couple of years ago they moved the house that England's Prince Edward and the women he abducted the throne for, Wallace Simpson, onto the property. There is a self walking tour in the basement that you can take your time and find all the facts and interesting
things. We also enjoy sitting on the deck above the pool and just watch the beach, the planes landing and taking off at North Island Naval Air Station not too far away. We just get a drink and sit back and enjoy. On the weekends they usually have several weddings going on.
If you're in the San Diego area try to go over to the DEL.

P.S. The parking is terrible you may have to drive around. If you park in the hotel's lot it is an outrageous charge.

Room Tip: ASK FOR THE ORIGINAL HOTEL to get the best for your money.
1  Thank Paula J

We are delighted that The Del has such special meaning for you and appreciate your loyalty. The Victorian Building does have its charms and we’re pleased that you appreciate the historic ambiance that makes the resort so special. Thank you for your endorsement and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

My husband and I spent our wedding night at the Ocean House in Rhode Island, so whenwe "remarried" a month and a half later on the west coast for the benefit of his west coast friends and colleagues, he chose the Hotel Del to bookend the experience.

The problem with a bookend though is that you compare it to the other bookend. The Del and the OH are both Victorian-era gems that were given new leases on life (well, in the case of the OH, torn down and rebuilt) and have become luxury properties. It isn't like comparing apples and oranges...but as lovely as it is the Hotel Del could learn a few things from the east coast apple.

The pros? The Spa is pretty world-class, highly recommended. The gardens are lovely, so even if you don't spring for the ocean view you have a beautiful vista. The history is there, the place is sparkling clean, the beach is one of the best and the Shops at the Del are fairly numerous and offer a wide variety of quality items, some quite reasonably priced, from toys to candy to clothing to toiletries to décor.

We were given a complimentary bottle of champagne, pretty standard for the occasion but we didn't expect it here. The room was spacious and tastefully done in neutrals; large comfortable bed,

The cons? Mainly the prices. They are pretty steep considering that (unlike the OH) tipping is not included, and parking is $37.00 day (this is not valet parking, just self-parking in a lot which is often almost full, necessitating driving around it searching for a space) plus a resort fee. Room service, as in so many hotels, is exhorbitant, then that pesky "delivery charge" is added (I don't mind tax and gratuity being added, but don't charge me to deliver something which the name of indicates is delivered by its very nature).

And the place is just too big, too busy, too crowded. Many meetings and events are held there, so there are non-guests wandering all over constantly, having parties in the courtyard (it's a lovely view but if you want to sleep in, beware the kiddy party outside with the falconers, clowns, magician and of course, happy, giddy, noisy kiddies), shopping, eating...shouldn't be a problem, but there are so many, it's like Grand Central Station without the 8:05 to New Haven. This is one reason the parking lot is crammed, and why other areas are sometimes full, or there is a wait for a restaurant even with reservations (as an earlier reviewer related).

Big? Our room required crossing the courtyard, which meant a hike from the parking lot, up the long entrance, through the lobby, across the courtyard, then a hike to our room which was down an enormous hall and up a flight of stairs. Doesn't sound bad, but once when we forgot the validation ticket to leave the hotel, it took me about ten minutes to get it, roundtrip, walking quickly. We had to have the bellhop bring the bags when we arrived as, in a gown and tux, we simply couldn't even roll them that far.

Small annoyances were that the tub plug did not work (I think most people shower and so they never reported it - seemed to have been broken a while) and much more annoyingly, when my husband called and asked when our breakfast reservation was he was told we didn't have one. He had made the reservation months ago and reserved the Seaside Spa Escape package. about a month ago he was confirming the reservation and told me to call to choose the spa treatments. I did, and he made me call back and change the time because he had made a 9:30 breakfast reservation (or a time thereabouts...I know I had to change the spa treatments to 12:00 to accommodate it). So I know he made the reservation. Evidently, because breakfast wasn't included in the package (which he knew) they for some reason did not keep the reservation, because that was the reason they gave us: "Breakfast isn't included in the spa package". We probably could have gotten in, but instead went "off campus" for breakfast as my husband was peeved about this.

When I visited the hotel a few years ago as one of those gawky non-guests, it was much the same but the main shop upstairs had very few Hotel items for sale if any. Now it is called the :Signature Shop" and sells everything Hotel Del from wine stoppers and mouse pads to bracelets and Christmas ornaments. It is now definitely a Brand, and just does not have the level of attention a true luxury property affords...it can't, it's just too big.

However, we were glad we had the experience of staying there. However, if we were to stay in the area again, I would try to find a more intimate place.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. While we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room and amenities, we apologize that your entire stay did not exceed your expectations. We will be sure to share your feedback with our reservations team to ensure that this type of experience is not repeated. We hope to be able to welcome you and your husband back again in the future.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

A friend of mine who is a San Diego native brought me to the "Del" for a brief visit and to dip my toes in the Pacific. The water was too cold for wading but the beach was exceptional. The hotel itself was a grand facility and I quite enjoyed reviewing its past in the historical display. The pool looked fun but busy and the herb garden smelled fantastic. I didn't stay overnight but based on my observations, I think I'd certainly like to.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Barry B, Manager at Hotel del Coronado, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

We're pleased that you had the opportunity to visit The Del and hope you return again soon for a longer stay so you can experience all that this legendary resort has to offer.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband surprised me with a two night stay here for our 30th wedding anniversary since we had to come to CA on business. When we checked in we did not like our room location. We paid for a Jr.. Suite with ocean front view and balcony. Our room was on the side where we had an ocean view but also a better view of the parking lot. We didn't unpack and immediately called the front desk. We dealt with a lovely manager named Jessica. She showed us two other rooms that were available. We "downgraded" to a standard king room, but it was ocean front with a great balcony. And better still this room was cheaper and with what we thought was a great view. The only negative to the room was the bathroom was smaller than in the suite, but no problem.
The Hotel Del Coronado is a beautifully maintained property right on the beach. It is also very old with a Victorian flair.
We had a wonderful breakfast in the Sheerwater restaurant. Also had dinner here. Not bad but thought breakfast was better.
The service was very good.
A great experience and very expensive, but was a very special occasion! Only negatives were some of the areas were not open Sunday and Monday and that is when we were there.
I would love to go back for their Sunday brunch sometime.
We would also consider staying in one of the beachfront cottages next time if we ever stay at the Del again.

Room Tip: Just make sure oceanfront is truly oceanfront when reserving room. (Not ocean view on side of buildi...
1  Thank Peggy W

We are delighted that you chose to celebrate your special occasion at The Del. The resort has a long history of romance and you're now a part of it. We hope you return again soon to try our award-winning Sunday Brunch and experience the luxury cottages and villas at Beach Village, which is truly beach bungalow living at its finest.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Let me say we did not stay overnight here. We went for brunch, drinks, views. And I will do it again when I visit San Diego. The food was very good and the drink were as well. The atmosphere was AMAZING. Everyone should at least go have a drink at this amazing piece of history.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jamescaje

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and overall classic ambiance that The Del has to offer. We hope you will return soon for an overnight stay to enjoy our many other great services!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
Hotel Marisol Coronado
#1 of 17 in Coronado
La Valencia Hotel
#5 of 24 in La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Hotel del Coronado? Share your experiences!